Reminder: All USA Citizens MUST file Taxes with the IRS!

ROC taxes, overseas payment of taxes, withholding rates, general tax liability issues, and other tax-related matters
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: REMINDER: ALL USA CITIZENS MUST FILE TAXES WITH THE IRS!

Postby CraigTPE » 10 Aug 2011, 09:48

Lili wrote:
Chris wrote:
Lili wrote:Woah.
I need to pay Taiwanese tax AND the US?

*grumbles and starts some creative thinking*

You only have to pay US tax if you make over US$91,500 a year; you're then taxed on the amount above that.

:roflmao:

Guess I don't have to worry about that then.

It's pretty safe to say that NO ONE teaching English in Taiwan has to worry about that one.

But we still have to file taxes and put that income on the form, then subtract it off a few lines later. We also have to list any interest or investment income in the US.
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsmith » 20 Oct 2011, 11:49

Got a question about my tax filings:

I made a mistake and neglected to write down my son's SSN on last years returns, and the IRS sent me a letter telling me I owed some money. Problem easily solved, but on the form, they also said I didn't supply an SSN or ITIN (individual taxpayer Id Number) for my tai tai. Now, I never have since she has neither.

So, the question is do you guys write an ITIN on your tax forms for your spouse, and if so, how'd ya get it?

Thanks.

jdseeks
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 20 Oct 2011, 11:51

Never have, filing as "head of household" if I remember correctly. She also doesn't have one.

"To sing you must first open your mouth. You must have a pair of lungs and a little knowledge of music. It is not necessary to have an accordion, or a guitar. The essential thing is that I want to sing. Then this is a song, I'm singing..."
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

339 Recommends(s)
327 Recognized(s)

Postby scomargo » 20 Oct 2011, 12:06

jdsmith wrote:Got a question about my tax filings:

I made a mistake and neglected to write down my son's SSN on last years returns, and the IRS sent me a letter telling me I owed some money. Problem easily solved, but on the form, they also said I didn't supply an SSN or ITIN (individual taxpayer Id Number) for my tai tai. Now, I never have since she has neither.

So, the question is do you guys write an ITIN on your tax forms for your spouse, and if so, how'd ya get it?

Thanks.

jdseeks

My wife got an ITIN when she studied in the US. We file jointly, but my wife doesn't make over what's exempted anyway.

Otherwise, I think Tempo Gain's advice is good.
Forumosan avatar
scomargo
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

17 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsmith » 20 Oct 2011, 12:52

I file as HoH too. OK, well, I will send them a very nice letter telling them how very sorry I am about my negligence with promises that it will not happen again, and thank you for bringing this to my attention. :lol:

What burns my bacon is that they could have just checked my past returns to get the boy's SSN. Now I hafta go to the Post Orifice and I hate that because there's always some old lady who tries to elbow my out of her way when I got there first. :fume:
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

Postby Timabee » 04 Jan 2012, 22:38

My apologies for going a bit off topic but I have a question about U.S. taxes for American citizens living in Taiwan. I am a 52 y/o, married with 2 children. Still living and working in the U.S. but expect to move (retire) to Taiwan within the next 5 years (wife is Taiwanese). U.S. income from pension etc. will be > $50K - $60K per year. I expect income from Taiwanese sources will be minimal. Is tax treatment of U.S-based income of persons living abroad (e.g. deductions, tax rates) the same as living in the U.S. Thanks for any guidance you can provide.
Timabee
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

2 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby Northcoast Surfer » 05 Jan 2012, 02:06

Timabee wrote:My apologies for going a bit off topic but I have a question about U.S. taxes for American citizens living in Taiwan. I am a 52 y/o, married with 2 children. Still living and working in the U.S. but expect to move (retire) to Taiwan within the next 5 years (wife is Taiwanese). U.S. income from pension etc. will be > $50K - $60K per year. I expect income from Taiwanese sources will be minimal. Is tax treatment of U.S-based income of persons living abroad (e.g. deductions, tax rates) the same as living in the U.S. Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Here's a sexy article which you need to become very familiar with.
Foreign Earned Income Exclusion

Basic gist.

You can exclude up to a certain amount of your foreign earned annual income from paying taxes. However, you can't include any US based income from your pensions, or self-employed income earned in Taiwan with this exclusion. Only income earned in Taiwan from a Taiwanese owned company counts toward the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.

So, all your income from the US and any self-employed income in Taiwan will be taxed by the US the same as if you were living in the US regardless of the fact that you anticipate you'll be living in Taiwan.

US Internal Revenue Service wrote:If you are a U.S. citizen or a resident alien of the United States and you live abroad, you are taxed on your worldwide income. However, you may qualify to exclude from income up to an amount of your foreign earnings that is now adjusted for inflation ($91,400 for 2009, $91,500 for 2010, $92,900 for 2011, $95,100 for 2012). In addition, you can exclude or deduct certain foreign housing amounts.
Forumosan avatar
Northcoast Surfer
Not actually banned (he just tells everyone he is)

175 Recommends(s)
142 Recognized(s)

Postby feropont » 11 Apr 2012, 14:00

This 2011 year I lived fully in Taiwan so not USA income, not a Taiwan income either. Wife (taiwanese) earns minimum wage working on the weekend.
What form should I file?
I tried 1040 fill it up on H&R website but at the end system told me "Tax home must be in a foreign country. Delete the form."

Thank you
feropont
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

4 Recommends(s)

Postby jdsmith » 11 Apr 2012, 14:44

feropont wrote:This 2011 year I lived fully in Taiwan so not USA income, not a Taiwan income either. Wife (taiwanese) earns minimum wage working on the weekend.
What form should I file?
I tried 1040 fill it up on H&R website but at the end system told me "Tax home must be in a foreign country. Delete the form."

Thank you

1040 and the 2555-EZ. :thumbsup:
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

Postby panda » 15 Apr 2012, 22:50

jdsmith wrote:Got a question about my tax filings:

Thanks.

jdseeks

My attorney told me to write Taiwan person in that blank and thats what I did and they never bothered me about it. That was 10 years ago though.
Forumosan avatar
panda
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Taxes