Online tax filing for foreigners

ROC taxes, overseas payment of taxes, withholding rates, general tax liability issues, and other tax-related matters
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Online tax filing for foreigners

Postby Abacus » 23 May 2011, 20:08

shibari wrote:
glaikit wrote:Could it be that you needed to use the Taiwan year 99 instead of 2011? Not sure, just guessing why it would be deemed invalid.

Year 99?!?!?!??! Does this mean that there is a Y1C problem waiting in the wings?

Yeah it happened 5 months and 23 days ago. Island wide power outages, planes crashing and 7-11's were closed everywhere in the chaos.

tax year 99 = last year
Abacus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

128 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby Fortigurn » 24 May 2011, 08:41

I went in person again this year. I don't mind going. The tax office always has a cohort of uni students who have volunteered (or been volunteered, as one told me last year), to assist foreigners with their tax returns. This typically means a group of a dozen girls hanging around the tables and computers, waiting with cheerful if apprehensive expressions for foreigners to arrive. The morning I went, I saw a single guy in the group, and I have to say the pink and gray polo neck uniform looked more appropriate on his XX chromosome colleagues.

No sooner had I approached the stack of tax declaration documents, than I was engaged by a taller than usual girl with a soft Canadian accent and very good English who ensured I had selected the correct form. I had only just sat down at a table and taken a pen, when there materialized next to me a much smaller girl with short bobbed hair dyed in the rusty colour so common here, and who spoke almost no English other than the numbers from one to ten and a small handful of other words. As I filled in the first part of the form (with which I was very familiar after six years), she accompanied me with a commentary in Chinese, which I supposed was her way of being helpful.

I made appreciative noises for her sake, and concentrated on writing as she burbled away happily. It seemed not to have occurred to her that explaining to me in Chinese sections of the form which were marked clearly in English was somewhat redundant, but it was obviously helping her feel useful so I concentrated on picking up a few Chinese words for next time. Intent on completing my form as soon as possible in order to get to a company meeting on time, I didn't even look at her until she asked me (again in Chinese), if I had stayed in Taiwan the requisite number of years to qualify as a tax resident and wanted to check my passport for my entry and exit dates.

Finally turning to acknowledge her, I found myself in front of a small girl looking approximately sixteen, with large puppy dog eyes radiating an expression of embarrassingly earnest desire to please. I'm not a morning person at the best of times, and this was a little too much to handle before 9am. I felt about 80 years old, and wanted to go home, crawl into a sarcophagus, and wait for the mercifully inevitable.
Hiking gear.
Forumosan avatar
Fortigurn
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

13 Recommends(s)
33 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 25 May 2011, 03:28

:roflmao: Brilliant post, Fortigurn!
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
143 Recognized(s)

Postby cyberguppy » 15 Mar 2012, 20:39

CraigTPE wrote:Well, problem solved. I just closed and reopened the program, opened the tax return file I had saved, went to the page to submit the return, and it accepted it. Told me to print out about 6 pages, including one that itemized the supporting documents I have to either mail in or take to the tax office.

While it's cool to e-file, all things considered it's easier just to take my paperwork to the tax office and let them deal with it, especially since I will probably make the trip myself to submit my supporting documents.

Hi!

I just completed the procedure and I'm sitting with an NTF and NTM file + 2 others for banking. I don't have a printer. Any ideas what to do? Find a computer that does have one? I can't open these otherwise. Let's assume if I can, could I just email them signed and done to my tax office. The app suggested a CD or Floppy.. wtf?

It looks like I'm wasting my time here.

Any suggestions?
cyberguppy
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

7 Recognized(s)

Postby coleenS » 17 Apr 2012, 14:15

Most years, April 15 is the very last day to submit Income Tax Returns . This year though, taxpayers get an extra two days to submit. However, for many, this will still be too soon. But there are some filing recommendations for tax procrastinators. Article resource: Last minute tax filing tips for procrastinators
coleenS
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

In Taiwan since: 28 Aug 1990

Postby CraigTPE » 17 Apr 2012, 14:20

coleenS wrote:Most years, April 15 is the very last day to submit Income Tax Returns .

Except for citizens living overseas. We get an automatic 2-month extension.
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

ORIGINAL POSTER
91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Taxes