Gmail problems

Moderator: Mick

Gmail problems

Postby Hartzell » 25 May 2012, 08:12

In one office I go to frequently, there is one computer where I can check my gmail account. After I log into gmail, I check my new messages, delete various pieces of junk, unsubscribe to various wierd mailing lists that someone has signed me up for, reply to important emails, read interesting attachments, etc.

However, there is another American friend who also uses that computer to check his gmail. His experience has been very frustrating recently. One particular problem is that he can open any email, but if he hits the REPLY button, a one-word message stating "Loading" appears at the top of the screen . . . . . . and then it just sits there. You can wait for 30 minutes but it doesn't move.

All he can do at that point is return to the main INBOX page, and then read some other emails. And yes, the same situation occurs if he hits the COMPOSE button. The "Loading" message appears, and then nothing further happens.

My friend tried going to his DRAFTS folder, to open an email there, but none of them would open. Still the same "Loading" message . . . . . . But as stated above, I do my gmail on this computer, and I have had no problems (knock on wood).

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem, and if any solutions have been discovered.
Richard W. Hartzell
contact me by email at rwh.midway@gmail.com
Neihu District, Taipei (114)
Forumosan avatar
Hartzell
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
19 Recognized(s)

Re: Gmail problems

Postby CraigTPE » 26 May 2012, 06:10

Never had that problem.

You mention it's the same computer you use. Are you still signed-in to your Gmail on that computer? Could there still be a cookie left from your login that is causing the problem? Maybe try clearing the cache?
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby Hartzell » 26 May 2012, 08:07

No, I always log out when I am done.

As for the cache, does that get cleared when the computer is turned off at the end of the day? We often check email early in the morning, after turning on the machine.
Richard W. Hartzell
Forumosan avatar
Hartzell

ORIGINAL POSTER
19 Recognized(s)

Postby CraigTPE » 26 May 2012, 08:54

I really don't know if there is something in the cache preventing your friend from taking care of business, but in my own unprofessional experience, clearing the cache seems to fix a lot of problems.

The cache is not necessarily cleared out when you close your browser or shut down the computer. You can go into your browser settings and make it the default, though. You can also do it manually when something isn't working right. I also find that using a program like CCleaner also helps keep the cobwebs cleared out.
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby Dog's_Breakfast » 29 May 2012, 13:41

A couple of questions...

1) Are you both using the same browser? Gmail can behave differently if you access it with IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, etc. Overall, I prefer Chrome.

2) Even if using the same browser, are you logged into the same computer under different user accounts? I would hope you are, for security's sake, but anyway that would mean that your friend and you may have the browser configured differently even if using the same browser. Others have mentioned clearing the cache and I would concur. Gmail allows you the option to TURN OFF JAVASCRIPT. Sorry for screaming in all caps, but that's important. You should, in fact, be able to access Gmail with Javascript on, but you can turn it off and then you will have to login as "HTML only" - this fixes a lot of problems. Just click on the line that says:

To use Gmail's basic HTML view, which does not require JavaScript, click here.

Without Javascript some of the bells and whistles will be disabled, including pop-up ads (yeah!), but if all your friends wants to do is read and write his email, that doesn't require Javascript. By the way, I don't think you can turn off Javascript in IE, but you definitely can in Firefox and Chrome.

Note that some web sites will not work without Javascript enabled. So if you turn it off to check Gmail, you may have to turn it on later. Web sites that use pop-ups for their content are pretty much Javascript-on mandatory. Online videos are usually only accessible if you've got Javascript on. Just by way of experimenting, I'm making this post right now with Javascript OFF and as you can see, it works, so kudos to Forumosa for getting this right.
Welcome to the Hotel Forumosa. You can login anytime you like, but you can never leave.
Forumosan avatar
Dog's_Breakfast
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

59 Recognized(s)

Postby Hartzell » 31 May 2012, 20:41

We are both using Mozilla Firefox.

The operating system is Microsoft Vista.

(IE seems to have a lot of problems trying to deal with gmail . . . . . )
Richard W. Hartzell
Forumosan avatar
Hartzell

ORIGINAL POSTER
19 Recognized(s)

Postby Dog's_Breakfast » 01 Jun 2012, 10:01

Hartzell wrote:We are both using Mozilla Firefox.
The operating system is Microsoft Vista.
(IE seems to have a lot of problems trying to deal with gmail . . . . . )

OK, good to know. You didn't mention if you were both logged onto the computer with the same account, or separate. But anyway, if you're using Firefox it's easy to turn off Javascript, and Gmail works much faster without it though you'll disable some of the fancy formatting (but no ads either, another bonus).

In Firefox, use the menus to do this:

Edit-->Preferences-->Content, then unclick the box that says "Enable Javascript"

Do the same to turn it back on again. Please have your friend try that, and let us know if it works.

cheers,
DB
Welcome to the Hotel Forumosa. You can login anytime you like, but you can never leave.
Forumosan avatar
Dog's_Breakfast

59 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Technology