Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Bringing a desktop computer into Taiwan

Moderator: Mick

Bringing a desktop computer into Taiwan

Postby Blaquesmith » 02 Aug 2012, 04:13

I know it may sound weird, but I've just started my company and I'm coming to Taiwan to live with my taiwanese wife for some time (like, two years or something like that). Since the company has just started, I'm on a very tight budget, so i thought about bringing my desktop computer to Taiwan, put it inside my luggage (except for the hard disks, which I'd carry on my hand luggage so they don't break up).

My wife said I could have problems with customs at the airport for bringing it into the country, but I don't know if that's true or only an excuse so I don't bring my computer... What do you think?
"Roda el món i torna al Born!" - famous saying from Barcelona.
Forumosan avatar
Blaquesmith
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
20 Recommends(s)
110 Recognized(s)

Re: Bringing a desktop computer into Taiwan

Postby boho » 02 Aug 2012, 05:37

I was thinking of the same. I read many stories about luggage handlers being extremely rough, so everyone recommended carrying anything like that onboard. Maybe a suitcase that is around the same size as your computer and then packing clothes around it? Then just buy a monitor when in Taiwan for not that much money.

I brought my xbox through security once and it got some suspicious looks in the scanner but that was it.
boho
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby kaikai34 » 02 Aug 2012, 11:19

You'll be ok. You might get charged duty if it looked like it was brand new, sealed in its box. My desk top was brought over and I didn't have any problems. Hand carry the monitor as well as the HDD.
Forumosan avatar
kaikai34
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

22 Recommends(s)
33 Recognized(s)

Postby Blaquesmith » 02 Aug 2012, 13:51

Thank you :)
Forumosan avatar
Blaquesmith

ORIGINAL POSTER
20 Recommends(s)
110 Recognized(s)

Postby 2Enigma » 04 Aug 2012, 20:40

What I know others have done was to strip the motherboard and hard drives. Leave the case and power supply and monitor behind. The things you take will easily fit into your luggage packed in plastic wrap and stuffed between clothing for safety. The case and power supply are cheap and easily reassembled when you get here. I know of at least 3 friends that have done this and it worked for them. I would probably back up my hard drives onto a portable hard drive and stick into my carryon.
Keep ye company with those who seek truth and run from those who have found it.
Edited from Václav Havel

"Once, while lost in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew and was forced to live on nothing but bread and water for several days." W.C. Fields

This post was recommended by Got To Be Kidding (05 Aug 2012, 20:21)
Rating: 4%
2Enigma
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

38 Recommends(s)
19 Recognized(s)

Postby Got To Be Kidding » 05 Aug 2012, 20:33

2Enigma wrote:What I know others have done was to strip the motherboard and hard drives. Leave the case and power supply and monitor behind. The things you take will easily fit into your luggage packed in plastic wrap and stuffed between clothing for safety. The case and power supply are cheap and easily reassembled when you get here. I know of at least 3 friends that have done this and it worked for them. I would probably back up my hard drives onto a portable hard drive and stick into my carryon.

Amen to that. I'm currently in Israel for two and a half months, and whenever I'm going to be abroad for that length of time, I put my monitor in my 'check in' bag, my desktop in my roll-around 'carry on', and my hard drives (and their backups) in my backpack. And, thank God, I've never had any problems.

BTW, I do NOT advise you to carry your motherboard separately - unless you have retained the box and packing material that they came in. Keep your motherboard within the housing of the computer and put the computer in your carry-on. If your computer is too big, the motherboard should still do fine in your 'check in' bag, if - again - it is in it's housing.

I should also mention here that I tend to build my computers so that they are easily transportable in my luggage.

Good luck on your new business and welcome to Taiwan!

(Writing from a secret location deep within the hills of Jerusalem)
israeloutlook.com

Liberalism - politics for those who can't do math.
Forumosan avatar
Got To Be Kidding
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

49 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Postby boho » 07 Aug 2012, 22:28

Would it be a bad idea to ground (sea) ship it from Canada?

I've heard about humidity on those ships and that it can make cardboard a bit soggy and stuff, but would there be a risk that it would damage my computer?

Since I'm moving there I think I'll have too much stuff and will be moving around too much at the beginning to justify packing it into my luggage (other than maybe my hard drive which I'd rather not ship via post at risk of losing my data).

Any thoughts? Maybe packing the motherboard/gpu into a small box and buying the case, psu, ram and others once I get to Taiwan?
boho
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Blaquesmith » 09 Aug 2012, 17:38

Already in Taiwan. I've brought my desktop computer in one piece of luggage and my 23" screen in the other piece of luggage, and the HDDs in my backpack. All seems to have arrived in one piece, and customs didn't even bothered to stop me (as it should be).

Thanks for the advice, guys :)
Forumosan avatar
Blaquesmith

ORIGINAL POSTER
20 Recommends(s)
110 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 09 Aug 2012, 18:40

Glad it worked. I would have suggested just buying a new computer system here in Taiwan, the Land of Computers.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

85 Recommends(s)
182 Recognized(s)

Postby kaikai34 » 09 Aug 2012, 20:36

Chris wrote:Glad it worked. I would have suggested just buying a new computer system here in Taiwan, the Land of Computers.

Still cheaper to buy in the states if buying a complete computer. Not sure about building from scratch.
Forumosan avatar
kaikai34

22 Recommends(s)
33 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Technology