iPhone 4S

Moderators: Mick, Nam

iPhone 4S

Postby Adam_CLO » 05 Oct 2011, 08:44

What do you guys think of Apple's new iPhone 4S? Worthy upgrade to the iPhone 4?

Faster processor, better camera and Siri! While they haven't announced the exact release date, they did promise it would be in 100 countries by the end of the year, so I assume Taiwan will be on that list.

Forumosan avatar
Adam_CLO
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
24 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Re: iPhone 4S

Postby MoTi » 05 Oct 2011, 10:35

Well, everybody got high expectations regarding the Apple products ...
They did what they had to do, basically Samsung did the same thing with its Galaxy2 upgrade.

I don't think current model users will have much interest to upgrade and I doubt even 3GS users will do so.
The biggest upset in my opinion is, that they even could not make the screen bigger to 3,7 inch. Just
stretching it a bit, but maybe then they may loose this Retina advertisement thing ...

There were so much rumors going on about an iphone5. I do still think, that it exists, but for some reasons,
Apple was unable to present it. A lot of people predicted a release in early 2012, which I think sounds reasonable.
At least I don't think it will take another year to finally get a completely new designed device.

This 4S will be a looser, especially many current 4 users are still sitting on their contracts for at least another 6 months.
The oncoming 5 on the other side I expect to be the new frontrunner without a home-button ...

Regarding iOS 5
Wait and see, I hope it make some things running more smooth
Why are they so into twitter? Why no facebook? If they don't like facebook, why they connect it more with google+ ?

Regarding SIRI
Well, when do you have such a quiet enviroment. I watched the Keynote and I doubt that this is working while you are
running like it was shown. I think a nice idea, not that useable, it is more a gimmick than a practible application ...
Also, if they ever introduce chinese, I can't imagine it would work properly

Anyway, like most people think, for Apple standards a huge dissapointment, do you agree ?
MoTi
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby baberenglish » 05 Oct 2011, 10:40

Apple love people like you..go ahead, upgrade to the 4s...in a few months you'll 'have to' switch to your iphone 5....Aren't there more important things in life than switching your phone every 3 months?
Forumosan avatar
baberenglish
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

13 Recognized(s)

Postby tango42 » 05 Oct 2011, 10:54

I'm looking at picking up a cheaper iPhone 4 until iPhone 5 comes out. 4S probably won't reach taiwan until next year.

Siri should work on iPhone 4 with the updated iOS 5.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

5 Recommends(s)
29 Recognized(s)

Postby cfimages » 05 Oct 2011, 11:17

Apple's share price dropped almost 5% after the announcement. I think it disappointed a lot of people.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

153 Recommends(s)
164 Recognized(s)

Postby mabagal » 05 Oct 2011, 11:35

People were definitely hungry for a new body-style iPhone 5. The folks who are coming off their 3GS contracts from 2 years ago I feel will probably be the predominant customer for the iPhone 4S.

That said, the performance improvements are note worthy. The difference between the iPad 2 and iPad 1 in terms of speed is quite notable and this will be similar to the speedup from 4 to 4S. The difference is the fact that the 4S looks the same as the 4. I think will contribute to larger 3GS to 4S migration than people swapping their 4 for a 4S. iPhones after all are as much fashion statement as they are a piece of tech kit. It's like people buying a smaller engine version of a BMW or Mercedes because they want the body style associated with the more expensive, larger engine version.

The interesting side effect of this is that Apple has taken the strategy of selling the older iPhones models, including the 3GS (which is now "free" in the US with a contract) as low-cost new iPhones. They've indubitably done their homework on this, so they must feel that the brand cache even of the older iPhones has held enough to get people to consider an older "free" 3GS versus a cheap Android. They've also given price sensitive, yet fashion aware consumers a middle product to that looks just like the bigger version.

Or in a way, the 4S is like having a 335is and then they release the same body-style M3.
mabagal
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

11 Recommends(s)
26 Recognized(s)

Postby Adam_CLO » 05 Oct 2011, 11:38

cfimages wrote:Apple's share price dropped almost 5% after the announcement. I think it disappointed a lot of people.

It finished only down 0.56% at the end of the trading day.

I think that signifies what will happen. People will complain that it's only a minor update. But these same people will still stand in line and get it. :cool:

Anyone know if the 2x download speeds will be supported in Taiwan? Might be worth it for that. New camera also looks really nice...
Forumosan avatar
Adam_CLO

ORIGINAL POSTER
24 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby Adam_CLO » 05 Oct 2011, 11:40

mabagal wrote:The interesting side effect of this is that Apple has taken the strategy of selling the older iPhones models, including the 3GS (which is now "free" in the US with a contract) as low-cost new iPhones. They've indubitably done their homework on this, so they must feel that the brand cache even of the older iPhones has held enough to get people to consider an older "free" 3GS versus a cheap Android. They've also given price sensitive, yet fashion aware consumers a middle product to that looks just like the bigger version. Or in a way, the 4S is like having a 335is and then they release the same body-style M3.

Anyone who gets a 3GS for free on a 2 year contract will be getting ripped off in a big way. What is the difference in price between a 3GS and a 4S when you factor total cost of ownership? $200 out of $2000?
Forumosan avatar
Adam_CLO

ORIGINAL POSTER
24 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby MoTi » 05 Oct 2011, 11:44

would be interesting to see how the price of the current models will develope over the next 2 months, until the realease of the 4GS, which looks like will be the end of this year.
Seriously, who is buying a "4" right now ??
Hopefully it is possible to buy a "4" 16GB or 32GB model for (maybe) 4-5.000 NT$ less - which if so, would be a great deal ...

Apple is also clever, just offering basic 8 GB for the "4" once the new generation is out.
Do you think, after the new release it is still possible to purchase the "4" in 16 and/or 32 GB version ?
I remember it was next to impossible to get a "3GS 16/32 GB" once the "4" was out ...

I really wonder what then happens to all these "older" 16+32 GB models ?
Do they get back to Foxconn and there just switching to 8 GB ?

Why they just don't do a "4GS" with 32/64 GB (dropping the price each 100 US$) and keep the "4" with 16 GB, and low end the "3GS" with 8GB ???
MoTi

Postby mabagal » 05 Oct 2011, 11:44

I think we all know that no matter what the theoretical download speeds, we're going to hit either carrier-imposed provisioned limits or the fact that there are too many people on the same cell. :) While it has been getting better, the last 6 months in Taipei have been painful in terms of having any data speed during peak hours.
mabagal

11 Recommends(s)
26 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Technology