Java OCJP certification

Moderator: Mick

Java OCJP certification

Postby superguavaguy » 26 Oct 2011, 22:03

I've been seriously thinking about doing this at Gjun (巨匠電腦). I've already talked to them about it, and have all the details, but I'm just curious if anyone else has done it? The book is in English, the rest in Chinese, which probably wouldn't be much of a problem for me. They say you don't need to know any Java before the class, but I wonder if they actually teach you how to program, or how just how to pass the exam?
superguavaguy
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recognized(s)

Re: Java OCJP certification

Postby taiwantech » 08 Nov 2011, 02:59

I am always wary of training providers. If you really want to get into Java I would suggest testing your mettle prior to enrollment.

This book is where I started http://www.amazon.com/Head-First-Java-K ... pd_sim_b_8

It really engages you and all of the exercises are fun and challenging. I know a company that ships books internationally for a great price if you want it.

By all means, talk to the instructors about course content but be wary as they are trying to sell a course. The SJCP (you wrote OCJP) certs are not to be sniffed at, especially for beginners.

Also go here and talk to the guys that really know their stuff - not so much for advice on the course but more in that if you really want to go for it then these guys/gals will be soooooo helpful for years to come http://www.java-forums.org/content/

What is your background/experience. I am making the possible incorrect assumption that you are inexperienced. There is a great demand for developers in this area of Asia - wish I was more skilled in this area :( sadly just the one lingo doesn't seem to be enough unless you're highly skilled
taiwantech
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby superguavaguy » 08 Nov 2011, 10:56

Since Oracle owns Java now, and not Sun, it's the OCJP (Oracle Certified Java Program).

I know the OCJP is not to teach people how to program with Java, but a test to gauge one's proficiency. The cram school says you don't need prior experience with Java, but I'd never try it without first studying Java on my own extensively (like I am now) or a lot of programming experience with another language (like C# maybe). Since I work evenings, I have to take the weekend course, which is once a week for 8 hours for 2 months. The cram school I'm thinking of going to allows you to retake the course (if you fail) as many times as you'd like within 1 year. My major concern is how they teach, since Taiwanese education generally only prepares you to pass a test, and doesn't give you working knowledge.

I've tried several books so far, and right now my favorite is Deitel's Java How to Program. I'm also watching the Stanford CS106A course videos that are on YouTube. I highly recommend them.
superguavaguy

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recognized(s)

Postby mabagal » 08 Nov 2011, 11:28

superguavaguy, what is your background in programming in general? Do you have any training in computer science, per se?

If so, then you should be able to do this with just books and prep material without the cram school.

Your approach to starting at the Stanford online courses are good. There are also courses on iTunes U and MIT Open course ware. The MIT and Stanford courses are good starting points. The MIT course is taught in Python, but Cornell also has CS101 and 201 level courses available online that are taught in Java.

From a hiring standpoint, some hirers will look for certifications, but I feel the most tech-specific firms will concentrate on good computer-science fundamentals and raw brain power. In my experience, we too often find people with certs but not good fundamentals, so what I'd offer from that is to get the solid CS "stuff" hammered down, which can then be applied to any language.

Good luck!
mabagal
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

11 Recommends(s)
26 Recognized(s)

Postby asiababy » 08 Nov 2011, 11:50

One of our friends owns a computer school in Taipei, and they do offer the Java certification. You could call and ask about their program. There is also a pretty good English breakdown of their course content on the site: http://www.geego.com/training_courses/scjp-cert-intro

Ben, the owner, speaks really good English (he worked for CISCO in the years for a few years) and you can tell him exactly what you are looking for, he'll be straight with you if he can't offer it. (Tell him Katrina suggested you contact him.)

Hope that helps.
Family-friendly events and destinations Taiwan-wide. http://kidzone-tw.blogspot.com/
asiababy
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

2 Recommends(s)
46 Recognized(s)

Postby superguavaguy » 08 Nov 2011, 15:17

@ mabagal:

No, I don't have proper CS training, but I'm planning to go back to school in Taiwan to study it next year. Since I have to wait a year to study in university, I thought it'd be good training and practice to take the OCJP course. What I really need is someone to assign me exercises where I have to use what I've learned, correct the exercises and answer my questions about it.

@ asiababy

Thanks for the info! I'll check it out.
superguavaguy

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recognized(s)

Postby superguavaguy » 08 Feb 2012, 14:16

Ok, so after a lot of thought, some research, a lot of time teaching myself Java, and recently doing a lot of java script tutorials for the Unity game engine, I've decided to enroll in the OCJP course held at Sochoow University. Here's a link to the page: http://www.ext.scu.edu.tw/class_0a.aspx ... ClassID=32. It's about $30,000 NTD cheaper than Gjun (巨匠電腦), and now that I have a place in Taipei to stay on the weekends, I can do it. I've already paid for the course.

I'm also ready to start applying to universities in Taiwan. Tuition has almost doubled, though. I'm not worrying about "famous" universities, and am applying to a few different ones. I'll go to which ever one gives me the most money in scholarships.
superguavaguy

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Technology