Gaming thread?

Moderator: Mick

Re: Gaming thread?

Postby browny » 22 Feb 2012, 19:48

Has anyone had any problems purchasing/importing XBox 360 games from Amazon.com? I noticed that many Xbox 360 games will not be shipped directly to Taiwan. You have to have them shipped to a third-party and then have them ship the games to Taiwan. I have found a few games on their website that I want that look like Amazon will ship them to me here. I am wondering if anyone has encountered a problem with the games getting through customs.

I bought my XBox 360 here in Taiwan and notice that it plays a variety of regions (NTSC, NTSC-J, PAL, etc.) I am not sure why this is but I am happy about it. It allows more of a variety of games to be played on my console.
browny
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

Postby Kahna » 23 Feb 2012, 07:03

browny wrote:There should be a door/gate to your left.

Yes! When I found that I wept tears of embarrassment for the evening I had wasted!

AC:R is the first I've played. I read reviews after I'd played it, many were along the lines of "It's nothing new, just the same old same old that made the last couple so good." Well, that worked out well for me, then! Consensus seems to be that ACII is better than Brotherhood. I'm kind of hoping that there will be a release of the whole set closer to AC 3's release in October.
If you doubt this is possible, how is it there are PYGMIES + DWARFS??
Kahna
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

1 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby Rik » 23 Feb 2012, 14:48

browny wrote:I bought my XBox 360 here in Taiwan and notice that it plays a variety of regions (NTSC, NTSC-J, PAL, etc.) I am not sure why this is but I am happy about it. It allows more of a variety of games to be played on my console.

All Xbox 360 hardware is locked to a single region NTSC-U/C, PAL or NTSC-J (Taiwan is NTSC-J), but it is up to the publisher of each disc to choose on which hardware the title can run. Sometimes publishers don't exercise the option which means games bought in any market will run on all 3 hardware regions, but some use it on specific SKUs, e.g. the North American release may be locked to NTSC-U/C hardware, but the releases for Europe, Asia, and Australia my work on both PAL and NTSC-J units.

By far the best resource for determining which games will work where is www.play-asia.com, and once you've done your research, unless there's a huge price difference or some other issue, you may as well just purchase from there as well since they definitely do ship to Tawian.

We are in Taiwan so customs is hit and miss. From my experience, you won't get hit up for extra charges on a single game, but once you start getting shipments with a total value of over US$100 you may get charged - it's like NT$100+ change which you pay on delivery.

Fedex will almost certainly collect that NT$100 (even going so far as to come back the next day that one time the driver forgot to get the money), whereas UPS more often than not doesn't.
Rik

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Battery9 » 25 Feb 2012, 12:20

Where can I mod my old original Xbox? Can't find any games for it anymore. Took it to a place that mods consoles and they say they can't do it. I'm obsessed with the original HALO, and PC Return to castle Wolfenstein, so maybe it's better that I don't see what new games are out there. It's like being obsessed with Pacman hahaha.

And where are the game areas in Taiwan. Going to Ximending today to check some out, but there must be a 'game' street?
Battery9
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

27 Recognized(s)

Postby Kahna » 25 Feb 2012, 17:36

Check the mall under Taipei Main Station. There are a ton of them under there, heading out toward Zhongshan MRT.

There are a few in Ximen, in that building with Tom's Gaming World (or whatever it's called).
Kahna

1 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby Battery9 » 25 Feb 2012, 21:09

thank you!
Battery9

27 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 30 Mar 2012, 02:08

"To sing you must first open your mouth. You must have a pair of lungs and a little knowledge of music. It is not necessary to have an accordion, or a guitar. The essential thing is that I want to sing. Then this is a song, I'm singing..."
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

337 Recommends(s)
327 Recognized(s)

Postby Rockefeller » 30 Mar 2012, 15:44

Please, please, please no one tell me they bought Mass Effect 3.
Forumosan avatar
Rockefeller
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

94 Recognized(s)

Postby funkymonkey » 31 Mar 2012, 15:43

Rockefeller wrote:Please, please, please no one tell me they bought Mass Effect 3.

I just finished it a few days ago (no, I didn't buy it). Honestly, I don't know why everybody is upset with the ending. I do wish that the choices made in the previous two games had a bigger impact on the ending though...
Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important.

- Eugene McCarthy
Forumosan avatar
funkymonkey
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

32 Recognized(s)

Postby Kahna » 31 Mar 2012, 17:51

Shit, gonna have to get a move on with ME. Promised myself I would play ME2 first, however none of the stores I've visited so far have it in stock. Planning a trip to the underground mall near Main Station tomorrow. Already got 3 looking all shiny and new and waiting to be played.

Please, any talk of ME3's ending, shroud it in mystery and spoiler tags.
Kahna

1 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Technology