Gaming thread?

Moderator: Mick

Re: Gaming thread?

Postby Battery9 » 30 Apr 2012, 21:54

HossHuge wrote:
Battery9 wrote:currently playing Halo 3 on X-box 360. Awesome, but....I still have a tiny little TV..multiplayer is hard..can't see anything hahah.

Are you playing the English version of the game? If you are, where did you get it? I can only find the Chinese one.

My Xbox is modded so I can download games:) (well, my gf does it) Hard to get the right region though. I hardly listen to a word they are saying , skip through the soppy story. I just want to blow things up and when I don't react to their commands they send someone out to come and pick me up:D
Battery9
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

27 Recognized(s)

Postby Kahna » 30 Apr 2012, 23:30

superguavaguy wrote:I'm in the middle of a few games at the moment, and all are epic RPGs, so I have many, many, many hours of gameplay waiting for me. I won't be buying any new games anytime soon.

I'm thinking of creating a system of cards which must be randomly drawn out a hat stating things like:
"Two hours Arkham Asylum"
"10 matches Fifa 11"
"3 quests or missions Fallout 3 / Mass Effect 2 / InFamous"
"Die 15 times in Dark Souls"
"One more trophy and you get the Platinum for Assassin's Creed Revelations, just suck it up and grind those last ten levels of multiplayer"
"Fucking finish LittleBigPlanet 1 and 2 story mode already, you're RIGHT THERE, 2 more stages for EACH, forget the wife she'll forgive you eventually if you do it without her"

because I feel like I'm neglecting too many games.

In the middle of two weeks of doctor-prescribed bed rest, getting PLENTY of gaming done at the moment. Most of it is going into Mass Effect 2, interspersed with sessions of blud lust in God of War II.
If you doubt this is possible, how is it there are PYGMIES + DWARFS??
Kahna
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

1 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby superguavaguy » 02 May 2012, 21:32

Shipped my TV and PS3 to the States already and will have to wait a while before either arrive. Luckily I planned ahead and have some good games in my laptop to pass the time. I'm pissed that I have to start Borderlands again, so I might play Alan Wake instead. Anyone play Alan Wake?
superguavaguy
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recognized(s)

Postby browny » 02 May 2012, 22:35

I started playing Alan Wake about six months ago (even though I had it in my collection for over a year). I put about 5 hours into it. It is a good game with a great story; however, I just got sidetracked with other games that I needed to play.

I agree with Kahna. I need to come up with a system that forces me to play some games in my collection that I haven't touched yet. I have about 60 games in my collection that I have yet to open/unwrap - games such as Saints Row the Third, FEAR 3, Dead Space 2, Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare, etc. My problem is that I get hooked on either sports games like MLB 2K11, Madden 12, and NBA 2K12 or on RPGs such as Dragon Age, Mass Effect, or Skyrim.

It pains me to say this but I am hoping that my PC does not have the system requirements to be able to run Diablo III which comes out on March 15th. Unfortunately, if my PC is able to run it, then.....
Hello Diablo III - Goodbye time with my wife, taking my dog to the park, the outside world, my Xbox 360 collection, sleep, etc.

Although I have many games to play, I am looking forward to picking up Max Payne 3 this month. I am a huge Rockstar fan!

To HossHuge - I will be venturing out to some game stores in Taipei either on Thursday or Friday. If I see an English version of Halo 3 I will let you know.
browny
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

Postby HossHuge » 03 May 2012, 14:34

browny wrote:To HossHuge - I will be venturing out to some game stores in Taipei either on Thursday or Friday. If I see an English version of Halo 3 I will let you know.

Cheers browny!! :notworthy:
HossHuge
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

1 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby HossHuge » 03 May 2012, 22:26

I thought about getting Halo 3 through X-box Live using their points system but I'm afraid I will end up with the Chinese version. Does anyone have any experience with this?
HossHuge
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

1 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Gaming Thread

Postby liamtoh669 » 09 May 2012, 04:41

Hey everyone,

Here is what I'm currently playing:

PS Vita: Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (I liked it on 360 and wanted to have a portable version)
PS Vita: Rayman Origins (classic 2-D sidescroller)
N3DS: Super Mario Land 3D (awesome and very creative)
N3DS: Mario Kart 7 (best in the series)
PS3: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (the first game in the series. An Uncharted game came with my Vita and I really enjoyed it, so I picked up the 2-pack released of the first 2 games for PS3)
iPad: Settlers of Catan (decent version of the classic board game)

I also have the Silent Hill HD Collection (HD re-releases of Silent Hill 2 and 3) waiting to play once I finish the Uncharted games, and I have SSX on order which should arrive Thursday. And once I get bored of Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, I have Blazblue: Continuum Shift Extend to play on the Vita.
liamtoh669
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby liamtoh669 » 09 May 2012, 05:06

HossHuge wrote:I thought about getting Halo 3 through X-box Live using their points system but I'm afraid I will end up with the Chinese version. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Did you buy your 360 here or somewhere else? More importantly, is your gamertag tied to your Taiwanese bank account, or your home country? IIRC when you buy something from XBox Live, you buy from whatever country your gamertag is tied to. For example, my gamertag is tied to my Canadian credit card, so I see things from the Canadian store, and the downloads are all in English.

AFAIK the Chinese version of Halo 3 has English subtitles anyway so even if you got the Chinese version, you'd still know what's going on.

(http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-dw- ... -1iiy.html) For reference, you can see English subtitles are listed.

Do you live in or near Taipei? Your best option for buying games in English is to

1. Go to Taipei City Mall which is attached to Taipei Main Station (just follow the signs).
2. Go to the game shops (they start after about exit Y13, so you have to walk for a little bit).
3. Find the game you want and check the back of the box to see if it's in English.
4. If you're not sure, ask the staff (usually they have at least one or two staff in any given store that speak English)
5. If you have a 360 that's been purchased abroad, make sure that the game isn't locked out of your region (for example if your system is PAL and the game box clearly says NTSC on the cover, don't buy it. Or if you have a USA system and the box says NTSC-J, then don't buy it). Some 360 games aren't region-protected but several are, so be careful!
6. If you have a PS3 don't worry, PS3 is region-free. So is PSP, NDS, and PS Vita. All 3DS games are region-protected so if you bought your 3DS abroad then you're really SOL.

The next steps are optional.

7. After you bought your game, go to exit Y13 and take the escalator up.
8. Cross the courtyard and go to Fatimaid, have a coffee and some cake and tell the maids that Jonathan sent you.
liamtoh669

3 Recognized(s)

Postby browny » 09 May 2012, 12:39

Did you purchase SSX through play-asia's website? I was very disappointed when store employees were telling me that they would not be getting the SSX for the Xbox 360; however, I saw that some stores had it for the PS3. I am not sure how game stores or developers or publishers decide where they will sell their games. My favorite game genre is sports games. I miss out on the NHL games and the NCAA games. It looks like I am going to have to start making purchases through play-asia.

I just started playing an older game called Singularity. It is a first-person shooter with a great storyline. I highly recommend that game. You can pick it up used for about 600 NT$ at various game stores.
Does anyone have any of the Tom Clancy HAWX games? I was looking at buying HAWX and HAWX 2, but I am not sure if they are better than the Ace Combat games. I have Ace Combat 6 (which is a great flight simulator game) and Ace Combat Assault Horizon (which is decent but more arcade action than simulator).

Games to look forward to in May: Diablo III, Max Payne 3, Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, and Dragon's Dogma. So many games....so little time.
browny

Postby liamtoh669 » 09 May 2012, 16:08

I ordered my copy of SSX through ruten.com.tw

It was NT$1650 including delivery to my local 7-11. Not too bad of a price considering it was a USA import (it has the ESRB rating on the cover). Usually I don't like to pay more than NT$999 for a game but in the case of SSX I'll make an exception. It was one of my favourite series of the PS2 generation and I still play SSX Tricky for Gamecube on occasion even today. You can see my review of it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBfhfi13ANs

Supposedly the new SSX was released in Japan on March 15th for the PS3 so I'm not sure why it's so hard to find. I asked for the PS3 version at several stores in Taipei City Mall but no one had it. Ditto for the shops in Guanghua Digital Plaza. The 360 version AFAIK was never released in Japan or anywhere in Asia so that's likely why the stores told you they'd never get it.

The only thing I ever ordered from Play-Asia video-games wise is a memory expansion cartridge for my Sega Saturn. I was generally pleased with their service although I find overall ruten.com.tw to be faster and usually cheaper, assuming they have what I need. It's a site like eBay so availability is sometimes spotty.
liamtoh669

3 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Technology