Gaming thread?

Moderator: Mick

Re: Gaming thread?

Postby Kahna » 09 May 2012, 17:26

liamtoh669 wrote:I ordered my copy of SSX through ruten.com.tw

It was NT$1650 including delivery to my local 7-11. Not too bad of a price considering it was a USA import (it has the ESRB rating on the cover). Usually I don't like to pay more than NT$999 for a game but in the case of SSX I'll make an exception.

Yep, used these guys as well. Mass Effect 3 was delivered to the 7-11 down the road, and the two Prototypes were sent to my house, but I had to pay using the electronic kiosk at the local Family Mart. Weirdly, Prototype was advertised at over 2 grand, so I thought I'd skip it. Then when I ordered Prototype 2 there was a link to Prototype for 700NT.

Finished off Mass Effect 2 over the weekend. Fantastic stuff, even managed to keep my whole team alive, but did lose half the crew.

Now I'm charging through Prototype, close to finishing the story, but there are loads of other challenges. Was a bit disappointed at first until I'd got a bunch of upgrades and started seeing how things really do click together very nicely. Although I understand what the developers meant when they said they regretted making the game not just difficult, but unfairly difficult in places. The gore and violence is just comically absurd.

Got a bunch of half-finished games to work on next before getting stuck into Mass Effect 3.

liamtoh669 wrote:PS3: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (the first game in the series. An Uncharted game came with my Vita and I really enjoyed it, so I picked up the 2-pack released of the first 2 games for PS3)

Really enjoyed it, but Uncharted 2 is far and away the most enjoyable game I've ever owned, except for maybe Conquests of Camelot (back in about 1990 - although I do have it again now, playable through that dosbox application wotsit).

What's the Vita like? Never owned a handheld console, thinking hard about this one.
If you doubt this is possible, how is it there are PYGMIES + DWARFS??
Kahna
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

1 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby liamtoh669 » 09 May 2012, 22:10

Overall I'm very happy with the Vita. Here are the things I like about it:

1. It's comfortable. While the buttons and the analog sticks are a little small, overall it's the most comfortable hand-held device I've ever owned, except maybe the original Gameboy Advance, which doesn't count because the non-backlit screen was so god-awful that the system as a whole was unusable. Speaking of which...
2. The screen. The large OLED screen is a joy to watch. I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad 1 and the Vita (IMHO) trumps them all for screen quality. The resolution is 540p (half of 1080p) but since most PS3 games only run at 720p anyway, the difference is negligible. Try playing Blazblue on a 3DS and then play it on a Vita. The Vita wins hands down.
3. The controls. The fight sequences in Uncharted really give you an immediate sense of how awesome the second analog stick is. I would kill for a PS Vita Bioshock game, or maybe a Batman game or a BioWare RPG. With the updated graphics combined with the dual-analog controls, I think we'll see a lot of franchises that are popular on PS3/360/PC to find their way to the Vita. And I'm really looking forward to it. It's also worth noting that unlike the 3DS, the d-pad on the Vita is located in a sensible, usable spot so for fighting games, for example, it's actually enjoyable to play them.
4. The interface. Gone is the XMB, and the new touch-screen interface has a nice feel to it that, while definitely iOS-inspired, is unique enough to have its own feel.
5. Region-free. Unlike the 3DS, which is completely region-locked, I can buy a Vita game from any region of the world and I don't have to worry about whether or not it will work. And many popular games get an "Asian" release in Taiwan in addition to the Japanese release, which has Chinese and English. So when I got Uncharted with my system, I didn't have to slog through the Japanese and figure out what I'm doing, I just chose "English" as my language and I was all set!

Here are things I don't like.

1. Expensive memory cards. You basically NEED a memory card to use the system properly, and right now the only affordable one is 4GB. I can buy SD memory cards for my 3DS at a fraction of the price for the same capacity, but Sony decided to gouge its customers with expensive proprietary shit. NOT impressed. And it's costing them business too, because there are some older PSP games and DLC I'd consider buying off the PSN store, but I don't want to sacrifice the space on my memory card. Even worse, to prevent casual piracy only one PSN account is allowed per card. So if I want to buy games or DLC from both the Taiwan and the Canada PSN store, I need two memory cards and I have to swap them to go from one account to the other.
2. More of the same. Unlike for example, Super Mario Land for 3DS, which is a unique style of Mario tailor-made for that system, I've yet to see a good Vita game that really NEEDED to be on the Vita. It seems to suffer from the same problem the PSP had, where aside from being portable, the Vita experience and the home console experience aren't fundamentally different. I have Minna no Golf 6 and it's basically the same game as Minna no Golf 5, just portable. Same for Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend, Rayman Origins, etc.
3. When it's different, it's worse. This might sound like it contradicts my earlier point, but efforts by Sony and developers to make the Vita version of their game feel different or special usually fail miserably. Their answer to uniqueness is to throw in a lot of touchscreen/motion control crap from the iPhone and Wii. In Uncharted you can fortunately turn most of it off or ignore it, but even still I found myself doing things like touchscreen puzzles and holding the Vita's camera up to a light in order to progress in the game. Lame.

Like I said, overall I'm very happy with the Vita. If I could get games like Super Mario Land 3D and Mario Kart 7 for the Vita, then I'd sell my 3DS and not be bothered with it. As it stands, I play my Vita more than any other system I own (I have eleven consoles and six handhelds in addition to my iPhone and iPad) and I'd play it even more if there were more games out for it (SSX on Vita, make it happen!). For me, it's been a fantastic system.
liamtoh669
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby Kahna » 09 May 2012, 23:08

Cheers, man, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I think I may have to take the plunge soon. One of my students' old man owns a gaming store, so I think I might have to pass through there and see if he'll do me a solid.

I've made some purchases from him before, so for Christmas he gave me this - http://www.pdp.com/p-1100-console-cover ... ted-3.aspx

He doesn't get too many collectors' editions though, which I'm always after, if at all possible. So far I've got Uncharted 3 (Drake statue and ring), Infamous 2 (Cole statue, comic, bag, extra download goodies), Fallout 3 (picked this up for a little over a grand, comes with the tin Vault-Tec lunch box, bobble head, DVD and art book. Would've been stupid not to get it, really), and Mass Effect 3 (steel case, art book, other thingies).

Or else I try to get GOTY editions (Uncharted 2 and Arkham Asylum so far, next will be Arkham City which has tons of extras bits of DLC).
If you doubt this is possible, how is it there are PYGMIES + DWARFS??
Kahna

1 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby liamtoh669 » 10 May 2012, 08:45

Kahna wrote:Cheers, man, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

My pleasure. Most of my friends only play video games on their cell phones, so I enjoy an opportunity to talk about it.

That PS3 cover looks pretty sweet! My PS3 is a ceramic white 'phat' model, so (sadly) covers like that won't fit.

I also try to get GOTY editions if only because it's the better value. Why rush out to buy the game on Day 1 when you know that a few months later the GOTY edition will follow, with all the DLC bundled in for essentially the same price if not a bit cheaper? It's not like there aren't a boatload of other games out there that I want to play but haven't had the time for. I used to be more into collectible stuff but since I moved downtown into my tiny 8-ping apartment, I've had to more selective about what I keep in there.

I'm going to pick up my copy of SSX today, I'll let you know what I think.
liamtoh669

3 Recognized(s)

Postby HossHuge » 14 May 2012, 11:27

liamtoh669 wrote:
HossHuge wrote:I thought about getting Halo 3 through X-box Live using their points system but I'm afraid I will end up with the Chinese version. Does anyone have any experience with this?

AFAIK the Chinese version of Halo 3 has English subtitles anyway so even if you got the Chinese version, you'd still know what's going on.

I picked up a Chinese version yesterday. You're right, the subs aren't so bad. I always enable dialog on all my games anyways.

Thanks..... :D
HossHuge
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

1 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby browny » 19 May 2012, 18:59

I was wondering if anyone has started playing Diablo III yet? I am making a trip to the States in the middle of June, so I was planning on picking up a copy of the game (the Collector's Edition) while I am there.

For anyone who is interested: the 2012 Summer Backlog Challenge is about to begin. This year it starts on June 1st and runs until September 30th. For this challenge you pick 5 games from your game collection that you would like to complete by the end of the summer. Many people like to post a video or leave a comment on YouTube telling others the games they have selected. Last year I had several people contact me via e-mail checking on the status of my game completion; unfortunately, last year I only completed 2 of the games that I had chosen. This year I am determined to finish all 5 of my chosen games.
The 5 games that I have selected for this year's challenge are: Batman Arkham Asylum, Singularity, Enslaved, Tomb Raider: Underworld, and Blue Dragon. I was a bit hesitant on putting Blue Dragon on my list, but I have 17 other RPG's in my game collection and I have never complete any of them.
browny
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

Postby liamtoh669 » 24 May 2012, 05:40

I found the YouTube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqdS-bjS2LQ

This "gaming challenge" thing sounds interesting. Off the top of my head I can think of Rayman Origins, Uncharted Golden Abyss, Uncharted Drake's Fortune, Super Mario Land 3D, Mario Kart 7, Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3 as games I need to finish.

And if I think a bit harder I can think of Donkey Kong Country Returns, Zelda: Skyward Sword, Tales of Vesperia, and No More Heroes 2. Plus there are games like Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, where I finished the main arcade game, but I haven't explored other options such as the Heroes and Heralds mode or even just the online mode.

Ultimately, however, I don't think I'll participate just because I wouldn't have the patience for it. I have an alarmingly short attention span, and I'm sure that as soon as the next new thing came along, I'd be all over it and forget all about this challenge. LIke recently I discovered a great app for reading comics on my iPad, so I haven't even been playing games that much. And next month I plan to get a "new iPad", so that I can run Garageband better (iPad 1 is too slow/clunky for it). Once that happens, I'm sure I'll spend far more time doing stuff in Garageband than playing video games.

It might seem wasteful to have so many games that are unfinished but not really. I still enjoy them and go back to them from time to time. I just think if I put a deadline on finishing games, it would suck the enjoyment out of them and make it feel more like a chore.
liamtoh669

3 Recognized(s)

Postby browny » 25 May 2012, 16:32

I agree with you. I don't think having unfinished or barely played games in one's collection is a waste. I will take a game off the shelf, play it for an hour or whatever time I can spare, and then put it back. The games are always there for me to enjoy.
Unfortunately for me, I have to think of the backlog challenge as a chore. Because I dug myself into a rather large "backlog hole" I can't justify to myself (or my spouse) why I should pick up any other console or other game playing device. I don't have an iPad, or even a smartphone, that lets me play games or apps. I only own an Xbox 360. I desperately want to pick up a PS3. If I can use this challenge to try to "force" me into finishing some of my games, slowly I can get myself out of this hole so I won't feel too guilty when I pick up another game console. It will be difficult for me because I also get distracted by new games that come out or by some of my other games on the shelf.
browny

Postby rowley8 » 09 Jun 2012, 09:48

Just got Fallout 3 Vegas last night and so far, decent game. Anyone up for Xbox360 trade?

List:

Resident Evil 5
Nba Ballers
UFC undisputed
Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 (Winning Eleven)
Kane & Lynch
..Hush falls over the wasp tutorial as their eager brains are taxed to the limits of wasp logic. Until one brilliant young wasp, the intellectual superstar of Wasp College, Cambridge, tentatively puts up his front leg, the answer slowly coming together in his insect head.

'If...one...cannot fly straight through the glass' -he cogitates as the lecture room falls silent, the other wasps sensing that they are in the presence of wasp genius- 'and we have established that the window is half open...'he continues, his brow furrowed in total concentration, 'then surely the logical thing to do...would be...to fly repeatedly at the glass, buzzing a lot?'

The other pupils glance eagerly across at the professor to see if this pupil has hit upon the solution, but their tutor smiles knowingly and shakes his head.

'No,' he says. 'The answer is that there is no solution to this conundrum. It is an impossible problem. It is a philosophical trick question that cannot be answered."
Forumosan avatar
rowley8

Postby browny » 17 Jun 2012, 20:47

I may be a litlle late to the party on this one, but I came across a website that has lots and lots of old DOS games that you can download. We are talking games that you might have played on your Commodore 64 (I know I did!) The website is www.glennsguides.com You can choose which genre you wish to see, and they also have an alphabetical list on the home page which has all of the games. When you click on a game it will come up with 1 to 4 links where you can download the game. The first one requires you to make a small donation so I skipped that one. The second link and the fourth link don't ask for anything - I don't know about the third link. You also need to download Dosbox so the game will run on a Windows computer. They have self-explanatory instructions on how to download everything you need to install and play the game.

I am having a lot of fun playing some of my favorite games from way back in the day. From my former favorite company Dynamix, I am playing (1) The Adventures of Willy Beamish and (2) Rise of the Dragon.
I have also downloaded quite a few of the Infocom text adventure games like Zork, Wishbringer, Enchanter, Spellcasting 101, etc.
They also have the classic Sierra games like King's Quest, Police Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, and Quest for Glory. And classic arcade games like Centipede, Dig Dug, Ms. Pacman, and Zaxxon.

My favorite game I downloaded was the original Castle Wolfenstein. Playing that game sure brings back memories.

Just thought I would share this information with those of you that have never heard of this website (like myself until the other day).

Happy retro gaming!!
browny

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Technology