Kindle Works with Library Books! Now Geo Blocks

Moderator: Mick

Re: Kindle Works with Library Books! Now Geo Blocks

Postby zyzzx » 02 Apr 2012, 15:12

asiababy wrote:
zyzzx wrote:Taiwan Student, Have you checked out ebooks from the Taipei library? I just went to try it out, but it wants a PIN, which I don't have. There's nothing on that website, or on the Library's website about how one gets a PIN. Do you have to trek over to the library for it?

I will try it with a US library account once I find my old library card.

Are you referring to the PIN you need after entering your library card no? If so, it's just your birthday (MM/DD), so April 6th is 0406.

It worked, thanks! :notworthy: How did you learn that/figure it out?
Doesn't look like there are any Kindle books though :(
Forumosan avatar
zyzzx
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

10 Recognized(s)

Postby asiababy » 02 Apr 2012, 15:21

zyzzx wrote:
asiababy wrote:
zyzzx wrote:Taiwan Student, Have you checked out ebooks from the Taipei library? I just went to try it out, but it wants a PIN, which I don't have. There's nothing on that website, or on the Library's website about how one gets a PIN. Do you have to trek over to the library for it?

I will try it with a US library account once I find my old library card.

Are you referring to the PIN you need after entering your library card no? If so, it's just your birthday (MM/DD), so April 6th is 0406.

It worked, thanks! :notworthy: How did you learn that/figure it out?
Doesn't look like there are any Kindle books though :(

It's in their instructions somewhere, and I talk to the librarians a lot. I'll post a link later today. did you find their international ebook stuff where they have cooperation with overseas library? I'll post that too if you can't find it.
Family-friendly events and destinations Taiwan-wide. http://kidzone-tw.blogspot.com/
asiababy
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

2 Recommends(s)
46 Recognized(s)

Postby zyzzx » 02 Apr 2012, 22:33

asiababy wrote:It's in their instructions somewhere, and I talk to the librarians a lot. I'll post a link later today. did you find their international ebook stuff where they have cooperation with overseas library? I'll post that too if you can't find it.

There is a link on the first page to a site full of English ebooks - is that what you mean? If not, then I haven't found it.

I did, however, discover that a city in the US where I used to live lets you sign up for an e-library card online and use it to check out ebooks. They did check my IP address during the signup, but I can still VPN into my old university, so I could pretend that I was in the appropriate place. So I tried it out - managed to check out a kindle book and get it onto my kindle with no problems (my Amazon account is also US based). So I'm set :discodance: .

It would be nice if the Taipei library had kindle books, but I'm not going to go through the hassle of trying to deal with other file formats if I can get the kindle books somewhere else.
Forumosan avatar
zyzzx

10 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan_Student » 05 Apr 2012, 02:01

zyzzx wrote:I did, however, discover that a city in the US where I used to live lets you sign up for an e-library card online and use it to check out ebooks. They did check my IP address during the signup, but I can still VPN into my old university, so I could pretend that I was in the appropriate place. So I tried it out - managed to check out a kindle book and get it onto my kindle with no problems (my Amazon account is also US based). So I'm set :discodance: .

How did you do that. I have access to a US Unix Account. But it only has command prompts.
Taiwan_Student
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)

ORIGINAL POSTER
25 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby zyzzx » 05 Apr 2012, 21:55

Taiwan_Student wrote:
zyzzx wrote:I did, however, discover that a city in the US where I used to live lets you sign up for an e-library card online and use it to check out ebooks. They did check my IP address during the signup, but I can still VPN into my old university, so I could pretend that I was in the appropriate place. So I tried it out - managed to check out a kindle book and get it onto my kindle with no problems (my Amazon account is also US based). So I'm set :discodance: .

How did you do that. I have access to a US Unix Account. But it only has command prompts.

Well, through the help of some helpful people, I still have a guest account at my old university. They have a network that I can log into with some VPN software, so it looks like I'm on campus. I'm not very IT savvy, so I don't know much more than that.

Now that I have my e-library card though, I can use it from anywhere (ie. any IP address), which is nice. Now my problem is that I'm reading the books too fast, and they have a limit on how many you can have at once, but there doesn't seem to be a way to give them back early...
Forumosan avatar
zyzzx

10 Recognized(s)

Postby scomargo » 06 Apr 2012, 12:26

zyzzx wrote:
Taiwan_Student wrote:

Well, through the help of some helpful people, I still have a guest account at my old university. They have a network that I can log into with some VPN software, so it looks like I'm on campus. I'm not very IT savvy, so I don't know much more than that.

Now that I have my e-library card though, I can use it from anywhere (ie. any IP address), which is nice. Now my problem is that I'm reading the books too fast, and they have a limit on how many you can have at once, but there doesn't seem to be a way to give them back early...

There should be a way to return books early. I've done it before. You may have to go to Manage my kindle in your Amazon settings. There you should have the option to return the book. There shouldn't be a need to wait until the book is due.

Oh, and Taiwan Student, I believe your problem is due to your Amazon account having a Taiwan address associated with it. If you use a US address, I think your problems would go away. zyzzx and I have similar experiences checking out books from Taiwan using our Amazon accounts that have a US address associated with them.
Forumosan avatar
scomargo
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

17 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby zyzzx » 06 Apr 2012, 20:04

scomargo wrote:There should be a way to return books early. I've done it before. You may have to go to Manage my kindle in your Amazon settings. There you should have the option to return the book. There shouldn't be a need to wait until the book is due.

Excellent! So much good help here - there was indeed a way to return the books from my 'Manage my Kindle' page. I had never managed my Kindle before, so I had no idea that that page even existed and never would have thought to look there. This could get dangerous now - I don't have much self control when it comes to reading good books, but I really don't have time to do nothing but read...
Forumosan avatar
zyzzx

10 Recognized(s)

Postby asiababy » 06 Apr 2012, 23:51

Just wanted to check if this is the page you went to for the online books. It looks like they don't work for Kindle unless you are using a US library card.

http://taipei.lib.overdrive.com/10783AD9-FFFF-43E0-B535-02783BA23151/10/513/en/SearchResults.htm?SearchID=3760103s
Family-friendly events and destinations Taiwan-wide. http://kidzone-tw.blogspot.com/
asiababy

2 Recommends(s)
46 Recognized(s)

Postby zyzzx » 10 Apr 2012, 18:33

asiababy wrote:Just wanted to check if this is the page you went to for the online books. It looks like they don't work for Kindle unless you are using a US library card.

http://taipei.lib.overdrive.com/10783AD9-FFFF-43E0-B535-02783BA23151/10/513/en/SearchResults.htm?SearchID=3760103s

Yep, that's the site I went to. It is a bummer that it doesn't work for Kindle. I'm very happy with my Kindle, but if I'd realized that there were all these international issues, I might have looked more at other readers :ponder:
Forumosan avatar
zyzzx

10 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan_Student » 12 Apr 2012, 23:21

asiababy wrote:Just wanted to check if this is the page you went to for the online books. It looks like they don't work for Kindle unless you are using a US library card.

AND IF YOU HAVE A US AMAZON, BILLING ACCOUNT, AND IF YOU access the KINDLE PART through a US IP ADDRESS, and if you G-d forbid don't buy anything...
I again bought two things for my Kinde.. I'm trying to quit.. good sales...

I've been using my US library card borrowing Kindle Books from AMAZON for almost six months and was mighty happy... Then I got BUSTED.. My KiNDLE WAS Reregistered as a foreign device.

Incidentally ... MY US library does NOT do the blocking. I've been borrowing Audio Books, Epub books and other things.. I don't exacally tell them that I"m not in my home town.. But they do not block.
The Kindle Process is this... 1. Log into your local (US) library. 2.Choose the book you want.
3. Go to the check out process. 4. If you choose a kindle book, you select, get your book. It then hands you over to the amazon page with your account and if all is well. Your book will be wirelessly, not 3G, sent to your kindle. It was happening!

I
Taiwan_Student

ORIGINAL POSTER
25 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Technology