The Galaxy Nexus Smartphone Thread

Moderators: Mick, Nam

Re: The Galaxy Nexus Smartphone Thread

Postby Modest Mouse » 14 Jan 2012, 19:49

I have a Galaxy Nexus with 4.0.1 ICS and was wondering when I will receive an OTA update to the current 4.0.2 version.
Modest Mouse
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
7 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby Modest Mouse » 14 Feb 2012, 13:52

Will the Galaxy Nexus GSM work in the US or will there be any problems that I might experience - either with changing the settings on the phone to make it work or with finding a network provider?

My phone is rooted, if that matters.
Modest Mouse

ORIGINAL POSTER
7 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby mabagal » 14 Feb 2012, 16:10

Modest Mouse wrote:Will the Galaxy Nexus GSM work in the US or will there be any problems that I might experience - either with changing the settings on the phone to make it work or with finding a network provider?

It's quad band and if you bought it here, factory unlocked. It will work fine on AT&T, T-Mobile or any of the network resellers that use these two networks.
mabagal
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

12 Recommends(s)
26 Recognized(s)

Postby Modest Mouse » 14 Feb 2012, 16:17

mabagal wrote:
Modest Mouse wrote:Will the Galaxy Nexus GSM work in the US or will there be any problems that I might experience - either with changing the settings on the phone to make it work or with finding a network provider?

It's quad band and if you bought it here, factory unlocked. It will work fine on AT&T, T-Mobile or any of the network resellers that use these two networks.

Thanks for the info!
Modest Mouse

ORIGINAL POSTER
7 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby catfish13 » 15 Feb 2012, 00:51

Modest Mouse wrote:I have a Galaxy Nexus with 4.0.1 ICS and was wondering when I will receive an OTA update to the current 4.0.2 version.

I got mine on the release date and received my 4.0.2 OTA notification last Friday.

You get access to ~15 GB of flash memory. There's no partition this time around on the Galaxy Nexus.
catfish13
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

Postby RJF » 31 May 2012, 17:43

I got one about 3 weeks ago -- came with 4.0.2, but it seems as if 4.0.4 is the current version now. Has anyone gotten it yet? If not, is there an expected date for it? Or will it be skipped, perhaps, and 5.0 will be the next upgrade?
RJF
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby hamburger » 03 Aug 2012, 02:02

How much is this phone costing to purchase (without contract) in Taiwan? I am currently living in the US but making my annual visit to Taiwan for the next few weeks; wondering in which country I should buy it :)
hamburger
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Brendon » 03 Aug 2012, 06:51

catfish13 wrote:You get access to ~15 GB of flash memory. There's no partition this time around on the Galaxy Nexus.

Which is one of my major complaints about my Galaxy Nexus. With no external storage and no partitioning, it won't work as a USB drive without special software (built into recent Windows but not Linux or OSX).

Other major complaints include the screen in sunlight, the soft home button (especially that it's right next to the spacebar when the keyboard is up...), and the position of the wake/sleep button which makes it constantly turn itself off in my pocket.

Other than that it's a decent enough phone, though the general UX in stock ICS still isn't close to the polish of the iPhone. It's also survived being dropped perhaps a dozen times -- the cover and battery always pop off, but when reassembled it still works. For me that's a major issue!

Also Pinyin input got major love in a recent update and it's actually usable now. Yay!
Brendon
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

3 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby RJF » 05 Aug 2012, 16:53

Brendon wrote:Which is one of my major complaints about my Galaxy Nexus. With no external storage and no partitioning, it won't work as a USB drive without special software (built into recent Windows but not Linux or OSX)....

Not sure what you mean by that -- if you mean having it show up as an external storage drive and being able to transfer files when plugging it into a computer's USB port, it works fine for that on my Linux system -- no special software needed.
RJF

1 Recognized(s)

Previous

x

Return to Technology