Voice Mail on my Cell Phone (FET)

Moderator: Mick

Voice Mail on my Cell Phone (FET)

Postby 914 » 03 Feb 2012, 14:47

Hello,

My question is two parts. The first is more of a rant. 1) Why don't people in TW leave voice messages? Doctor's office, Animal Quarantine, people *EYE* owe money to? And often times when we finally connect, they say they "couldn't reach me." But if you don't leave a vm, how do I know you called out of the many calls I receive a day?

2) This might be tied to my first question. When I reach someone's voice mail, or when I try to check my own, the greeting is actually very long. How can I set it so that after 7-8 rings it automatically goes to my personal greeting with my voice instead of the automated one?

I find it takes a long time to hear the actual voice messages.
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.
Forumosan avatar
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

ORIGINAL POSTER
Location: YVR to SFO to TPE; Now in semi-retirement in Sky Mother
35 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Re: Voice Mail on my Cell Phone (FET)

Postby CraigTPE » 03 Feb 2012, 15:15

I gave up on voice mail in Taiwan. It's pointless. Nobody is ever going to leave a message, and they text me if it's urgent.
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby mabagal » 03 Feb 2012, 17:18

Because voice mail is slow, inefficient, has very bad confidence on correct information transfer, and is basically obsolete?

E-mail, IM and text are much faster these days.

Consider that you can read at least 10 or more e-mails on your phone in the time it takes to pull up the beginning of one voicemail. Also consider that critical info such as numbers, addresses, instructions and lists can be recalled quickly and accurately in text form without the need to redundantly write it down as with a voicemail.
mabagal
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

11 Recommends(s)
26 Recognized(s)

Postby baberenglish » 03 Feb 2012, 19:47

Culture.
Even 20 years ago answering machines weren't popular. Beepers used to be worn by almost everyone before cells/smartphones.
Taiwanese want to get hold of someone NOW. They don't wait around.
Forumosan avatar
baberenglish
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

13 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Technology