China tracking software

Moderator: Mick

China tracking software

Postby PapaAzucar » 07 Feb 2012, 00:59

Hello all, I heard that China started (in July 2011) tracking everyone of its citizens and foreigners in the country with the largest database system ever. I've been trying to find details about this system, but have not found any English articles on this. If anything, this is probably as big of a technology feat as Facebook or Google, and is considered the real-life Big Brother software. So anytime you buy a bus, train, plane or travel ticket where they ask for an ID in China, that info is entered into the database so that the Chinese government knows where everyone in the country is at any given time. I am not interested in the politics of this, but I am more interested in how the Chinese system is implemented like cloud computing, big data, data mining, data warehousing, scalability, etc.

If anyone has first-hand encounter with this system or know of articles on this, please share. Thanks in advance.
PapaAzucar
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Re: China tracking software

Postby CraigTPE » 07 Feb 2012, 05:24

From a broader perspective, one has to wonder who ISN'T tracking people these days...

With the imminent Facebook IPO, there has been a flurry of articles about data mining, not just for targeting advertising but also making hiring decisions and more. Really sobering thought.

Folks, if you are online, you are being tracked.
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Technology