Moving back to the great satan: what kind of phone should I get?

Moderator: Mick

Re: Moving back to the great satan: should I get an unlocked iphone?

Postby jdsmith » 08 Feb 2012, 07:21

ironlady wrote:JD,

I've never heard of a cable TV/cell phone package around here, though they may exist. But our cable provider has never advertised them as far as I know, and there is only one player in the cable TV market in Albany right now.

yeah, I've figured that out now. we're juicing up some old cellphones we have here, and I'll slap a simcard into one of them to see how it works.

As for a landline and internet at home, AT&T and Verizon both have a them for less than 40 bucks. That's cool with me.

Like I said last night, TracFone and Net10 both offer very cheap cells and PAYG, so I think I'm covered. :thumbsup:

And apparently I'll be at YOUR house to watch the Yankees on YES. :D
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
56 Recognized(s)

Postby Dog's_Breakfast » 08 Feb 2012, 08:35

mabagal wrote:Tommy, GSM phones from Taiwan will work with AT&T and T-Mobile. There's absolutely no reason why one cannot bring one from Taiwan and get it to work.

It's not that simple. In the USA, GSM broadcasts at 850 and 1900 MHz, while in most of Asia (including Taiwan) it's 900 and 1800 MHz. An unlocked quad-band phone will cover the whole world, but a dual-band phone bought in Taiwan will not work in the USA (or vice-versa). The least expensive cell phones (like mine) are dual-band. There are tri-band phones (not so common these days), which are missing one of the lower bands (850 or 900 MHz). The lower bands are used primarily in rural areas, so a tri-band phone bought in Taiwan might work fine in a US city but not in the countryside. Anyway, you need a quad-band phone - anything less, and you will like encounter problems if you bring it from Taiwan to the USA.

Furthermore, some GSM cell phone companies in the USA require proprietary phones. In particular, Net10 and TracFone will NOT work with any other SIM-card GSM phone - you must use their phones. Doesn't matter if it's quad-band or not, they have burned some kind of key into the phone's memory chips that is needed to connect to their network. Fortunately, Net10 and Tracfone will sell you a pretty cheap phone along with the SIM card. As mabagal indicated, AT&T and T-Mobile SIM cards will work with any unlocked GSM phone, but again, quad-band only if you buy the phone in Taiwan.
Welcome to the Hotel Forumosa. You can login anytime you like, but you can never leave.
Forumosan avatar
Dog's_Breakfast
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

70 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsmith » 08 Feb 2012, 09:20

Can I just ask a simple question here and get a simple answer?

I have an old cell phone, a Nokia, from Taiwan DGD. Can I take this back to NY and get a simcard and use it there PAYG?

I am getting lost in the conversation about hertz and GSM and things.

It would be better for me and other clueless people just to say "I brought X cell phone back to the States and did Y with it and it worked (or did not work)."

:pray:

Thanks. :thumbsup:
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
56 Recognized(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 08 Feb 2012, 09:43

I doubt the phone would work. But I may be wrong, as it's all up to the degree of competition in the provider market in your particular neck of the throng.
I'm sure you will be able to score well with a small local provider.

And speaking of which, are you an internet junkie? When was the last time you went a week without it? Just curious, as I certainly enjoyed my last little jaunt back to the low tech world. :whistle:
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

4 Recommends(s)
246 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-2114
Gruntleness: Fully Disgruntled

Re: Moving back to the great satan: what kind of phone should I get?

Postby jdsmith » 08 Feb 2012, 09:51

I'm sure you will be able to score well with a small local provider.

I know I can do that.

I want to know if I can do it another way. :)

And speaking of which, are you an internet junkie?

I find the net to be very useful. I work on my laptop and dl all the time so it looks like I'm always online. :lol:
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
56 Recognized(s)

Postby mabagal » 08 Feb 2012, 11:47

OK, here is your simplest answer if you just want a pay-as-you-go phone in the USA.

Go to Walmart. Get a "throwaway" cell phone with a pay-as-you-go setup.
http://www.walmart.com/browse/Cell-Phon ... =+&depts=E

You're welcome. :)
mabagal
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

11 Recommends(s)
26 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsmith » 08 Feb 2012, 12:17

mabagal wrote:OK, here is your simplest answer if you just want a pay-as-you-go phone in the USA.

Go to Walmart. Get a "throwaway" cell phone with a pay-as-you-go setup.
http://www.walmart.com/browse/Cell-Phon ... =+&depts=E

You're welcome. :)

Outstanding. :bravo:

I'll let you know how it goes when I attempt the simcard switcheroo.
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
56 Recognized(s)

Postby mabagal » 08 Feb 2012, 12:52

Stick to AT&T Go-Phone or T-Mobile pay as you go phones from Walmart, and if the swap doesn't work, you can always use the Walmart phone as your phone. They're fairly decent phones that are usually just a few years old.

You can also just buy a Go-Phone SIM card, but the Walmart phones are basically cheap (as in really close to free) insurance in case your current phone won't work.

Here's how to get a AT&T Go-Phone SIM to work in an iPhone, even including a dataplan if you want it.
http://osxdaily.com/2011/03/06/iphone-4-pay-go/
mabagal

11 Recommends(s)
26 Recognized(s)

Postby Dog's_Breakfast » 09 Feb 2012, 11:00

jdsmith wrote:Can I just ask a simple question here and get a simple answer?

I have an old cell phone, a Nokia, from Taiwan DGD. Can I take this back to NY and get a simcard and use it there PAYG?

I am getting lost in the conversation about hertz and GSM and things.

Tell me which model Nokia and I'll look it up for you. My best guess: no, you won't be able to use it.

But like others have said, Wal-Mart (and elsewhere) can sell you more-or-less disposable phones that are guaranteed to work. Your biggest problem will be navigating the many different companies and rates they offer. Hint: cheapest tend to be VirginMobile, T-Mobile, Net10/TracFone (same company, actually). Most expensive: AT&T and Verizon. If you can avoid signing up for a contract with the latter two, you'll be better off.
Welcome to the Hotel Forumosa. You can login anytime you like, but you can never leave.
Forumosan avatar
Dog's_Breakfast

70 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsmith » 09 Feb 2012, 11:03

It's a Nokia 5200.

I think the whole thing is pretty much resolved. It's more about curiosity now.

Thanks for help though. :thumbsup:
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
56 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Technology