Anyone Using Pinterest?

Moderator: Mick

Re: Anyone Using Pinterest?

Postby ichbinjenny » 23 Feb 2012, 00:28

I'm on it MM. I find it useful -- I pin swim workouts and images of things I like and don't want to forget. I think now most members are female, and most of the pins are about modern homemaking stuff. Companies are pinning their products hoping that P users will re-pin the products on their board (essentially sharing the image with friends). So far I've gotten some success with it (more webtraffic), but all my friends/followers are in the US.
ichbinjenny
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

29 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 23 Feb 2012, 00:39

ichbinjenny wrote:I'm on it MM. I find it useful -- I pin swim workouts and images of things I like and don't want to forget. I think now most members are female, and most of the pins are about modern homemaking stuff. Companies are pinning their products hoping that P users will re-pin the products on their board (essentially sharing the image with friends). So far I've gotten some success with it (more webtraffic), but all my friends/followers are in the US.

I'd like to discuss this with you further. Late next week I may be in Taichung. Time for lunch?
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
744 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Phillips » 23 Feb 2012, 00:45

I think it will have as much grip as groupon.
Flash in the pan.
If I live to see an IPO, I won't buy into it.
If it has a hope in hell of surviving, it must have a myspace page already.
"Why do you want gas? It's hot. You can have cold showers" ~gas delivery man height of summer, 2010.

"Why you wear so many clothes? You are foreigner. Foreign countries are cold." buxiban owner, depth of winter 2011.
Forumosan avatar
Charlie Phillips
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

80 Recommends(s)
158 Recognized(s)

Postby ichbinjenny » 23 Feb 2012, 00:58

MM: YES! :+)

Not sure how to respond to your post, Charlie, except to say that just like MySpace, Pinterest *is* suitable for its demographic. And, let's hope it has the grip of Groupon -- Groupon is wildly popular in the US.
ichbinjenny

29 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Anyone Using Pinterest?

Postby headhonchoII » 23 Feb 2012, 09:04

Groupon is a marketing phenomenon look at it's cash burn rate. Its a classic pump and dump business without the timing or physical base of something like Amazon.
I strongly believe it will go bankrupt within a couple of years!
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1573 Recommends(s)
574 Recognized(s)

Anyone Using Pinterest?

Postby headhonchoII » 23 Feb 2012, 09:07

Muzha Man wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:More money grubbing social networks trying to make money from selling our own interests and ideas back to us. I spent 15 minutes shutting off all my timeline on Facebook today, a blatant attempt at pushing private information into the public forum, tossers!

Yes, and no. Even I find I get more from them than they take.

Read about what Facebook are doing with timeline. I use it but now I am getting a lot more wary. Plus it is getting a bit boring. What's with all the worship of these internet companies eh, they are just corporations like any other. Ok go back your discussion now :) .
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1573 Recommends(s)
574 Recognized(s)

Postby cfimages » 23 Feb 2012, 09:34

Pinterest may well be facing some very big lawsuits soon that it will more than likely lose.

http://www.businessinsider.com/pinteres ... faq-2012-2
Forumosan avatar
cfimages
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

189 Recommends(s)
191 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 23 Feb 2012, 13:01

I saw a coupl people use Timeline on Facebook and I HATE the way it looks. Very MySpace-like. Cluttered, jumbled. Ugh.

Anyone using GooglePlus?
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

84 Recommends(s)
180 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 26 Feb 2012, 17:54

cfimages wrote:Pinterest may well be facing some very big lawsuits soon that it will more than likely lose.

Doubtful they will lose. Every image is linked to its original source and for the most part is just thumbnail images. The only issue might be that you can also see a larger image. But this is no different from Google images.

Also websites now can easily block their pics from being pinned.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
744 Recognized(s)

Postby cfimages » 26 Feb 2012, 20:20

Muzha Man wrote:
cfimages wrote:Pinterest may well be facing some very big lawsuits soon that it will more than likely lose.

Doubtful they will lose. Every image is linked to its original source and for the most part is just thumbnail images. The only issue might be that you can also see a larger image. But this is no different from Google images.

No, very different from Google. It's very easy for the original source to get "lost" along the way. I tested it out on some photos that were pinned from photographers I know and they didn't link back to the original source. In a couple of case the link was only to google or Flickr homepage, not the actual picture page.

Pinterest also strips the metadata, including copyright management metadata.

http://artists-bill-of-rights.org/news/ ... s-project/

Of all the major social media sites at the moment, Pinterest seems to be the worst for protection of copyright. Google+ on the other hand, is by far the best in this regard.

Also websites now can easily block their pics from being pinned.

They can, but they shouldn't have to. It should be an opt in, not an opt out system. It's also easy to get around - if you see a pic you like on a website that blocks Pinterest, you could download it from the website and upload it to Pinterest.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages

189 Recommends(s)
191 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Technology