Tax refund at airport on electronic goods.

Moderator: Mick

Tax refund at airport on electronic goods.

Postby nn2s2u » 25 Feb 2012, 17:53

So I was talking with my buddy, and he mentioned buying a laptop in Taiwan, getting a "special receipt", and then getting a refund of the tax on the laptop at the airport when he left the county (they actually gave him cash).
I am looking to buy a new laptop soon, before or after I leave Taiwan
I was wondering what percentage the tax/refund would be, and what to ask for if I purchase the laptop in Taiwan. I know that I may have to pay a duty tax when I arrive in my home county, the U.S.
Google didn't help me. Anyone have experience with this?
nn2s2u
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Technology