what to do when circuit breaker trips?

Moderator: Mick

Re: what to do when circuit breaker trips?

Postby zyzzx » 26 Feb 2012, 13:31

My breaker trips if I have both heaters on at once. No big deal. Just toggle the proper switch (my switch does not flip when the breaker trips), remember what kind of load set it off, and try to avoid doing it again.
Forumosan avatar
zyzzx
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

10 Recognized(s)

Postby DesertSpider » 26 Feb 2012, 22:02

Here's something you should NOT do..... push your electrical system (new or old) to the brink frequently. Electricity is a pretty blue thang that will kill your ass dead before you can say.... wow, that's neat..

Seriously, electrical fires are no joke and if you think liquefied white-hot smoldering wires inside your walls are something to F-with, then you've got solid brass for balls. Repeated overloading of your wiring system will degrade a number of components from the connectors, to the jacketing, to the insulation, down to the wires themselves. Problem is by the time you figure out that you've "gone to far" or "waited to long", you'll be either doing that from across the street as you watch it flame to the ground, or you'll be inside that inferno when it goes and die from smoke inhalation (best case) or burn to death not able to escape in time..... :fume:

Go on, bet me I'm wrong. :fume:

DS
I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees...
Forumosan avatar
DesertSpider
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby finley » 26 Feb 2012, 22:18

Repeated overloading of your wiring system will degrade a number of components from the connectors, to the jacketing, to the insulation, down to the wires themselves.

It ain't a smart thing to do, of course, but it's unlikely to do any real damage as long as the breaker is correctly rated, the cables are the correct size, and you haven't actually created a dead short. A 2x overload (say, 30A drawn through a cable rated for 15A) for a few seconds will generally cause an insignificant temperature rise. Problem is there are a lot of "ifs" in that sentence and no actual installation standards in Taiwan - at least, none that are taught or enforced. It's up to each "electrician" to make it up as he goes along. Also, the crappy US-style plugs and sockets they use here (laughably rated at 20A) are inherently unsafe.

Best thing to do is just use your common sense - don't leave any high-power equipment unattended (or, come to think of it, any other sort of equipment), and don't overload sockets or add excessive socket strips.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

858 Recommends(s)
657 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 27 Feb 2012, 14:05

And today's tragedy was... no water when I got up. Thank God shuidien han were open.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
722 Recommends(s)
568 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Phillips » 27 Feb 2012, 14:23

StuartCa wrote:you're using heaters? it's not that cold.

You are either a Kiwi, a Canadian, or an Eskimo.

I told my wife I have an electric fire on last night and she freaked out, thinking I'd had an electrical fire. Then she berated me about speaking old English to new English speakers.
"Why do you want gas? It's hot. You can have cold showers" ~gas delivery man height of summer, 2010.

"Why you wear so many clothes? You are foreigner. Foreign countries are cold." buxiban owner, depth of winter 2011.
Forumosan avatar
Charlie Phillips
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)

84 Recommends(s)
164 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 23 Mar 2003

Postby finley » 27 Feb 2012, 15:02

I told my wife I have an electric fire on last night and she freaked out, thinking I'd had an electrical fire. Then she berated me about speaking old English to new English speakers.

:roflmao: I get that too. No, I understood you perfectly ... you just don't know how to speak English properly.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley

858 Recommends(s)
657 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Technology