iPad 3

Moderator: Mick

Re: iPad 3

Postby Adam_CLO » 20 Mar 2012, 11:36

PapaAzucar wrote:I finally saw the new iPad. A friend of mine just got back from Japan with a wifi 32Gb version. He didn't have any problems with customs since the new iPad looks just like the iPad 2. Pretty cool stuff.

How's the new screen compared to iPad 2?
Forumosan avatar
Adam_CLO
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
24 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby mabagal » 20 Mar 2012, 11:45

My friend sent me a screenshot and I had to zoom to 25% to see the whole thing on my MacBook! :) Can't wait to get hands on one of these.
mabagal
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

11 Recommends(s)
26 Recognized(s)

Postby PapaAzucar » 20 Mar 2012, 12:15

Adam_CLO wrote:
PapaAzucar wrote:I finally saw the new iPad. A friend of mine just got back from Japan with a wifi 32Gb version. He didn't have any problems with customs since the new iPad looks just like the iPad 2. Pretty cool stuff.

How's the new screen compared to iPad 2?
I didn't have an iPad2 to compare with. But looking up close, I swear that I could see individual pixels. It makes some sense that true retina display starts around 300 dpi like the iPhone4/4S at 326 dpi, but the new iPad is at 264 dpi.

What I think will drive the iPad2 owners to buy the new iPad is that the new apps will all be bigger (take up more storage and memory) to accomodate the higher resolution. So the iPad2 users will see their app updates taking up more storage and the 512Mb RAM may run less apps, without the added benefit of the higher resolution. There are only handful of apps that take full advantage of the new display right now, but eventually most of the app store will cater to the new display. Some app makers are saying that they will have different versions of apps for the different iPads.

Anyways, I'm still a little pissed that Japan, Hong Kong and Macau gets the new iPad before Taiwan. My guess is that those countries have better 4G infrastructure.
PapaAzucar
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby thegoat » 20 Mar 2012, 14:31

They only work on 4g networks in USA/Canada. Other countries have different 4g bands.
thegoat
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby mabagal » 20 Mar 2012, 14:49

PapaAzucar wrote:What I think will drive the iPad2 owners to buy the new iPad is that the new apps will all be bigger (take up more storage and memory) to accomodate the higher resolution. So the iPad2 users will see their app updates taking up more storage and the 512Mb RAM may run less apps, without the added benefit of the higher resolution. There are only handful of apps that take full advantage of the new display right now, but eventually most of the app store will cater to the new display. Some app makers are saying that they will have different versions of apps for the different iPads.

Doesn't work that way regarding RAM (it only allocates RAM for the resources it needs for that platform type), but the yep, the updates will take marginally longer and the apps will take up more storage due to the HD resources. Games in particular are going to get about 4x bigger.
mabagal

11 Recommends(s)
26 Recognized(s)

Postby Tazzie » 26 Apr 2012, 07:07

I went out to buy an iPad 2 wifi with 32g this week but was told only 16g iPad 2s remain in Taiwan (and elsewhere?). The guy didn't know when the "new iPad" would be out.

I think a 16g might actually do me, but I want to see the new screen and see if it is worth the extra $$$.

I don't do a lot of graphics and probably wouldn't watch a lot of movies on a tablet so the high res might be nice for photos and such, but not really necessary for me. I want to surf the net and use the ipad as a handy device for PP displays, etc.

Anyone here anything about the ipad 3 arrival date?
Forumosan avatar
Tazzie
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby liamtoh669 » 09 May 2012, 04:09

The new iPad comes out May 11th, this Friday.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/08/new ... 11-and-12/
liamtoh669
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 10 May 2012, 13:03

Quick and prob dumb question - if i buy one here, do I have the option to install OS5.1 in English?
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

74 Recommends(s)
101 Recognized(s)

Postby Adam_CLO » 10 May 2012, 13:23

Nuit wrote:Quick and prob dumb question - if i buy one here, do I have the option to install OS5.1 in English?

Yes. You choose what language you want on setup. Even after that, you can switch to other languages at any time from the Settings.
Forumosan avatar
Adam_CLO

ORIGINAL POSTER
24 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 10 May 2012, 14:03

Thanks. Knew it was a dumb question :D.
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit

74 Recommends(s)
101 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Technology