Whats in your camera bag

Moderator: Mick

Re: Whats in your camera bag

Postby antarcticbeech » 02 Mar 2012, 18:01

Icon wrote:Well, one thing is photography for fun and another different story for work.

For sure. I have the luxury of just playing in my little sandpit. :lol:
X
Forumosan avatar
antarcticbeech
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

169 Recommends(s)
172 Recognized(s)

Postby Shaktipalooza » 02 Mar 2012, 18:36

Just for the sake of argument, how much does all that weight?

If I have my largest pack with nearly all my lenses it's probably over 40lbs. Most of the time I'm carrying a little over half that weight. My latest camera pack is ultra lightweight Kata Bumblebee 222 at 2.3kg. It's best feature is non-absorbant shoulder straps that won't rot in the jungle (I've learned from experience).

If studio lighting gear is involved, bring a truck.

Yeah I really don't see any enjoyment in carrying a lot of gear.

You are preaching to the choir. Every lens I own for a reason. Low light, depth of field, stealth, sharpness, compression, composition, perspective, are among some of the factors to be considered. One thing I do find pointless when traveling is a battery grip, it's dead weight and IMHO has nothing to do with the oft quoted 'balance' of the camera/lens setup.

That is quite the selection of L glass. The 300mm 2.8...... thats a big chunk of glass. I am sure you are excited about the 5Dmk3 announcement.

I'm sure the 5DmkIII will be great but I'll probably wait a few months. I don't need more pixels, would rather have better high ISO and autofocus.
Forumosan avatar
Shaktipalooza
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

6 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 03 Mar 2012, 00:01

Poagao wrote:I don't know how you guys do it, economically or physically. Well, I do know: You spend a shitload of money and carry very heavy things. But still, I'm glad I'm not a professional photographer.

relax, you're better than most professional photographers. keep carrying nearly nothing.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

226 Recommends(s)
279 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 03 Mar 2012, 00:20

I'll try to take a photo of my gear sometime but it's pretty compact compared to the awesome but heavy kits above. I do a lot of hiking and I've optimized (as far as DSLR's go) for that. I usually have a fairly light daypack with various stuff (raincoat, snacks, drinks, umbrella, keys, wallet, etc...) included. I'm definitely not a pro though. I just enjoy taking cityscapes/landscapes along with trying new things.

Pentax K200D - 630 gm - to be replaced this summer by a K-5 or the new mirrorless K-01

I only use primes currently although I'll probably buy a zoom or two in the future. I also typically use old manual focus lenses (dozens I think...) except for one wide (15mm) and one normal (40mm). Each of my MF lenses cost $40-$80.
typical kit:
Pentax DA15f4 - 212gm
Pentax 28f2.8 - 156gm
Pentax DA40f2.8 - 90gm and/or Pentax 50f1.7 - 185gm
Pentax 135f3.5 - 270gm

49mm filter kit and wallet - 3 stop ND, 9 stop ND and CPL
Cleaning kit - blower, lenspen and pentax lollipop (sensor cleaner)
tiny remote
1 kg tripod - full height if extended all the way but usually I work lower
maybe a lens hood
maybe a camera body case
spare batteries and SD card
Abacus
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

142 Recommends(s)
140 Recognized(s)

Postby antarcticbeech » 03 Mar 2012, 00:57

urodacus wrote:
Poagao wrote:I don't know how you guys do it, economically or physically. Well, I do know: You spend a shitload of money and carry very heavy things. But still, I'm glad I'm not a professional photographer.

relax, you're better than most professional photographers. keep carrying nearly nothing.

:lol: Fuck yeah. What a beautiful documentation of Taiwanese street life. :thumbsup:
X
Forumosan avatar
antarcticbeech

169 Recommends(s)
172 Recognized(s)

Postby Super Hans » 03 Mar 2012, 01:12

+1

Lots of kit is usually for non-professionals to hide behind in many professions.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby cfimages » 03 Mar 2012, 08:09

Economically it's not a big deal because it pays for itself fairly quickly. My last major purchase was the 5DII and that was paid for by one job. A lot of the other gear I have is stuff I receive through sponsorships from a couple of photography companies so I get the gear for free. The only reason for upgrades is because clients require it or because of something game-changing between introduced (eg video on the 5DII) or something breaks.

As for weight, that's also not a big deal. If I need a lot of gear for the job, then I'll likely have an assistant who can help with the carrying, and only need to actually carry it from taxi to office or airplane to taxi. No one's carting all that shit around all on their backs all day.

If I'm just out photographing on my own, I'll normally be working out of a shoulder bag with one body and 1-2 lenses, plus maybe a tripod (which is carbon fiber and weighs next to nothing). If it's a fast moving event, then I'll have a second body on the go as well.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

243 Recommends(s)
223 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 03 Mar 2012, 09:31

bitcrusher wrote:
Icon wrote:Well, one thing is photography for fun and another different story for work. I get the riot act read by the art department people everytime I use any of the "lesser" cameras -the semi or full zakua or not DSLR cameras- for our pictures. And I actually do not take anything particularly difficult, but rather what I call "school prom like" pics, mostly. And objects in exhibits. Groups of people. Conferences and exhibition events. Seems nothing out of the extraordinary but the camera lens rules in definition and color. Heck, even my coworkers Canon 600D image sometimes falters comares to the full Canon mamooth we sometimes use. So, yes, sometimes the load is necessary.

I totally get this. Especially in taiwan were everyone owns a DSLR

Tell me about it. I drool over the stuff most kids carry around their necks, the latest gear. And you can't go on a hike without hitting a tripod and it's owner, both loaded with that awesome but incredibly expensive arm lenght telephoto lenses. :lick:
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

790 Recommends(s)
615 Recognized(s)

Postby Poagao » 03 Mar 2012, 10:57

antarcticbeech wrote:
urodacus wrote:

:lol: Fuck yeah. What a beautiful documentation of Taiwanese street life. :thumbsup:

Thanks!
Forumosan avatar
Poagao
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

5 Recommends(s)
77 Recognized(s)

Postby bitcrusher » 03 Mar 2012, 11:40

Icon wrote:
bitcrusher wrote:
Icon wrote:Well, one thing is photography for fun and another different story for work. I get the riot act read by the art department people everytime I use any of the "lesser" cameras -the semi or full zakua or not DSLR cameras- for our pictures. And I actually do not take anything particularly difficult, but rather what I call "school prom like" pics, mostly. And objects in exhibits. Groups of people. Conferences and exhibition events. Seems nothing out of the extraordinary but the camera lens rules in definition and color. Heck, even my coworkers Canon 600D image sometimes falters comares to the full Canon mamooth we sometimes use. So, yes, sometimes the load is necessary.

I totally get this. Especially in taiwan were everyone owns a DSLR

Tell me about it. I drool over the stuff most kids carry around their necks, the latest gear. And you can't go on a hike without hitting a tripod and it's owner, both loaded with that awesome but incredibly expensive arm lenght telephoto lenses. :lick:

I know, I like to take pictures of pepole taking pictures of things :lol: My last project that is pretty much what I did . http://vimeo.com/37587145
Forumosan avatar
bitcrusher
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Technology