Dropbox

Moderator: Mick

Dropbox

Postby tango42 » 09 Mar 2012, 09:40

Looking at Dropbox to synch files across devices and make them available anytime anywhere. Questions for those that use it.

- Dropbox wants me to download and install onto my computer (Macbook). Does that mean any computer or device must have Dropbox installed? For example, can I just walk into any internet cafe or use any smartphone and reach Dropbox even if Dropbox is not installed?
- Do I have to duplicate files on my computer? For example, do I have to move and drop anything I want in Dropbox into the Dropbox folder? And does it stay synched with the original file that might be located somewhere else in another folder on my computer? (<<I am guessing the answer is no)

Thanks.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Re: Dropbox

Postby Mick » 09 Mar 2012, 09:58

tango42 wrote:Looking at Dropbox to synch files across devices and make them available anytime anywhere. Questions for those that use it.

- Dropbox wants me to download and install onto my computer (Macbook). Does that mean any computer or device must have Dropbox installed? For example, can I just walk into any internet cafe or use any smartphone and reach Dropbox even if Dropbox is not installed?

Pretty sure that's no problem. The installation just allows for files to download in the background to your dropbox folder in the computer. Which, seems pretty slow, and I tend to log in to their site and download manually anyway.

tango42 wrote:- Do I have to duplicate files on my computer? For example, do I have to move and drop anything I want in Dropbox into the Dropbox folder? And does it stay synched with the original file that might be located somewhere else in another folder on my computer? (<<I am guessing the answer is no)

Right, what you put in there is a copy, no syncing with files on your computer.
Forumosan avatar
Mick
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

56 Recommends(s)
98 Recognized(s)

Postby Jaboney » 09 Mar 2012, 12:18

tango42 wrote:Looking at Dropbox to synch files across devices and make them available anytime anywhere. Questions for those that use it.

No, the computer need not have Dropbox installed. You can access your files via the browser.
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby mabagal » 09 Mar 2012, 12:25

tango42 wrote:- Do I have to duplicate files on my computer? For example, do I have to move and drop anything I want in Dropbox into the Dropbox folder? And does it stay synched with the original file that might be located somewhere else in another folder on my computer? (<<I am guessing the answer is no)

Their decision on this was to keep it simple. Anything in the Dropbox folder auto-synch across all of your computers/tablets/phones. Everything else on the computer doesn't.

You can also partition that down further if you are sharing documents with other people. The whole of the Dropbox is only visible to you and your machines, but you can choose to have a folder inside of Dropbox that other people's machines can also see. When people update or upload documents here, they get updated on all the machines for all of the users that opted-in on that shared folder.
mabagal
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

11 Recommends(s)
26 Recognized(s)

Postby lostinasia » 09 Mar 2012, 17:43

tango42 wrote:Do I have to duplicate files on my computer? For example, do I have to move and drop anything I want in Dropbox into the Dropbox folder? And does it stay synched with the original file that might be located somewhere else in another folder on my computer? (<<I am guessing the answer is no)

You may also want to look into SugarSync, which is quite similar to Dropbox. With SugarSync, you can label specific folders and files to sync, and keep your own computer's directory structure unchanged. (This is the reason I use SugarSync rather than Dropbox.) So with SugarSync, you don't have to move anything; it IS the original file, so they remain synced (and also backed up online in a way that I haven't really investigated).

Of course, that doesn't help you if you WANT to keep the original separate and unsynced.

I can't speak to the browser issue: I've never tried accessing files that way.
Forumosan avatar
lostinasia

61 Recommends(s)
94 Recognized(s)

Postby Steviebike » 09 Mar 2012, 17:48

Can't speak for sugarsync but, I've been using dropbox for about 2 years now and love it.

I've had files deleted (once by me and once by someone else) and the back-up worked each time which is great for a free service - if you need more than the free space you can pay.

It also works on iOS, Windows and Andriod. You can share folders with anyone!
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby PapaAzucar » 10 Mar 2012, 10:12

Getting off topic a little, has anyone tried to use Dropbox to share files with someone in mainland China?
I heard that China blocked Dropbox, and I'm trying to verify.
Thanks.
PapaAzucar
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby mabagal » 12 Mar 2012, 15:05

PapaAzucar wrote:Getting off topic a little, has anyone tried to use Dropbox to share files with someone in mainland China?
I heard that China blocked Dropbox, and I'm trying to verify.
Thanks.

It's flaky when it actually even works there.
mabagal

11 Recommends(s)
26 Recognized(s)

Postby Jaboney » 08 Apr 2012, 11:15

Dropbox went and retroactively boosted its reference bonus from 250 mb to 500 mb. Nice!

There's a Camera Upload feature that's been in beta testing for a while. May be nearly done, but, if you install the beta and upload a few pics, you can get another 3 gb in free storage.
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Technology