tommy and his puter woes and wahs

Moderators: Mick, Nam

Re: tommy and his puter woes and wahs

Postby StreetSpec » 28 Mar 2012, 10:22

tommy525 wrote:As avid tommy followers know (yeah i should get a blog but blogs are too much work so ) i gave away my netbook to my gf in jkt. She wanted a netbook and I saw the perfect opportunity to get rid of mine.


your gf is from jkt?..tell her I say "apa kabar" ... :D
StreetSpec
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
 
Posts: 417
Joined: 14 Jun 2004, 13:43
Location: Taipei

6000

Re: tommy and his puter woes and wahs

Postby tommy525 » 28 Mar 2012, 13:21

i will. Meantime im using Lucid Puppy Linux on this puter. Iv already wiped out what was on the HDD> This version is pretty cool so far. It starts from cd rom. Sort of like the beginning apple products launching the OS from a cassette tape. :)

But I don't know if it will work well, im hoping so. I just want to use this old puter as a basic internet device that i can use for browsing the net, playing pandora music and other simple stuff.

amazing how the linux community is so diverse and one does have to be way more geeky to know whats what with so many distros.
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 17423
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 14 Sep 2006, 17:25
Location: calif baby !
477 Recommends(s)
317 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: tommy and his puter woes and wahs

Postby tommy525 » 28 Mar 2012, 16:12

ok finally got it all sorted out. GOt the old puter to run on lucid puppy (wonder wheres lucid pussy?) and boot from cd rom. Then using USb stick to save personal preferences. Otherwise each time you start up via the disk you gotta spend ten mins downloading a browser (chrome or firefox only two options).

but with the stick in place, it loads very fast and loads the browser previously downloaded including flash player.

so?? I think iv solve the old puter problem. Its on a separate (small ) table and for the express use of playing pandora when im at home. I couldnt get it to work with wireless lan via the separate wireless usb ( i suppose ubuntu full install 11 would hv the drivers for that, but i cant install 11).

and solves the hdd problem too. I suspect my hdd is fucked. SO the old puter has one dvd player fucked, and possibly one hdd fucked. but with this minimal install ,i can internet and load from floppy and put files onto usb...bypassing hdd .

pretttttttttttttttttyyyy cool I must say.

one of these days, i may rip out the motherboard and the hdd and replace with modern hardware, essentially saving only the case and the powerunit perhaps. but thats another day.

now I am using my new notebook on another desk and the pandora playing on the old pute, working very well.

bravo lucid puppy linux.
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 17423
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 14 Sep 2006, 17:25
Location: calif baby !
477 Recommends(s)
317 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: tommy and his puter woes and wahs

Postby tommy525 » 09 Apr 2012, 11:53

A shout out for my Toshiba. Loving it. Loving the 333 out the door price for an AMD (first time using AMD and loving it) equipped 15.6 incher with webcam (not a big def 0.3 but still nice to have ) and dvd RW drive and 4gig RAM notebook.

Loving Window 7 too , its just an improved version of XP.

Wonder what 8 is going to be all about.
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 17423
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 14 Sep 2006, 17:25
Location: calif baby !
477 Recommends(s)
317 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: tommy and his puter woes and wahs

Postby Chris » 09 Apr 2012, 12:05

tommy525 wrote:used my new pute to make a latest ubuntu 10.11 release cd. But dang, it wont work cuz this pute has too little ram (512m). Shoot.

New computer in 2012, and not even a gig of RAM? Nowadays I'd recommend at least 2 gig.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 14692
Joined: 08 Jun 2004, 15:51
Location: Type-A, Tie-one-on
78 Recommends(s)
168 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: tommy and his puter woes and wahs

Postby Dog's_Breakfast » 09 Apr 2012, 12:48

tommy525 wrote:one of these days, i may rip out the motherboard and the hdd and replace with modern hardware, essentially saving only the case and the powerunit perhaps. but thats another day.

bravo lucid puppy linux.


I've used Puppy Linux in the past. Not bad, though I've moved on to antiX for my eeePC (another Linux distro which is also lightweight). But if you like Puppy (and indeed, it has a lot of endearing easy-to-use features), then stick with it. Enjoy!

Ubuntu is a little heavy weight. One thing you can try (not on the eeePC) is Lubuntu, which is kind of "Ubuntu Light."

Ripping out a motherboard and HD and replacing - usually not very cost-effective. You can't reuse the RAM or CPU, that stuff changes with each new generation. Even old power supplies might not work, depending on how old. Often cheaper to just buy a whole new computer, minus the monitor (you can almost certainly reuse your old monitor, unless it's a clunky CRT which wastes a lot of power - LCD is the only way to go).

cheers,
DB
Welcome to the Hotel Forumosa. You can login anytime you like, but you can never leave.
Forumosan avatar
Dog's_Breakfast
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
 
Posts: 1116
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:32
52 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: tommy and his puter woes and wahs

Postby tommy525 » 09 Apr 2012, 12:52

Chris wrote:
tommy525 wrote:used my new pute to make a latest ubuntu 10.11 release cd. But dang, it wont work cuz this pute has too little ram (512m). Shoot.

New computer in 2012, and not even a gig of RAM? Nowadays I'd recommend at least 2 gig.


New notebook has 4 gig of RAM. I was talking bout my circa 2004 desktop with only 512m of RAM> Thus needing puppy linux because I cant use ubuntu 11.10 (that needs at least one gig of RAM).

Besides I do believe the old puter's hDD is f*cked as well. So puppy works without hdd :)

i use it only to play pandora on the net and its working out awesome. Works ok as a net terminal basically. Just dont ask it to do more.
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 17423
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 14 Sep 2006, 17:25
Location: calif baby !
477 Recommends(s)
317 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: tommy and his puter woes and wahs

Postby tommy525 » 09 Apr 2012, 12:56

Dog's_Breakfast wrote:
tommy525 wrote:one of these days, i may rip out the motherboard and the hdd and replace with modern hardware, essentially saving only the case and the powerunit perhaps. but thats another day.

bravo lucid puppy linux.


I've used Puppy Linux in the past. Not bad, though I've moved on to antiX for my eeePC (another Linux distro which is also lightweight). But if you like Puppy (and indeed, it has a lot of endearing easy-to-use features), then stick with it. Enjoy!

Ubuntu is a little heavy weight. One thing you can try (not on the eeePC) is Lubuntu, which is kind of "Ubuntu Light."

Ripping out a motherboard and HD and replacing - usually not very cost-effective. You can't reuse the RAM or CPU, that stuff changes with each new generation. Even old power supplies might not work, depending on how old. Often cheaper to just buy a whole new computer, minus the monitor (you can almost certainly reuse your old monitor, unless it's a clunky CRT which wastes a lot of power - LCD is the only way to go).

cheers,
DB


For sure ! Working the old puter is just for fun. Certainly not cost effective when you can go down to Walmart and get a real nice set up for 300 bucks (sans monitor). Actually im using a nice Acer 19inch TFT because the notebook has 15.6 which is fine.

U right bout the power and all that jzz not maybe workign with new stuff. That may very well be true. I don't think i will attempt a massive rebuild. I will simply use it as a stereo and basic pandora player. Its hooked up to a set of speakers that are pretty good. Pretty happy using it as it is (talking bout the old desktop here).

im diggin my new notebook. And not touching the Eepc which is working fine as it is and also out of my hands now (gave it away).
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 17423
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 14 Sep 2006, 17:25
Location: calif baby !
477 Recommends(s)
317 Recognized(s)

6000

Previous




 
 
 x

Return to Technology



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: Tuo Diao and 5 visitors

I recently had a penis reduction. I’ve just got the one now -- RICKY GERVAIS