Kindle Fire

Moderator: Mick

Kindle Fire

Postby Isha » 10 Apr 2012, 13:43

I want to buy Kindle Fire. Does anyone know where I can buy one? Also would appreciate personal review of the product from user(s).
Isha
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

ORIGINAL POSTER
22 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Re: Kindle Fire

Postby Dragonbones » 10 Apr 2012, 14:18

If you run a search you'll find at least one thread on Kindles, in the Tech section. I'll move this there for you.
Now selling homestyle baked goods (cookies, brownies, baklava, pies, sourdough bread, whole-wheat sourdough bagels and cakes) made with many organic, fair-trade and/or local pesticide-free ingredients. Visit https://www.facebook.com/segoviaskitchen‎ or http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/pos ... tml#p92536 for info.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

38 Recommends(s)
98 Recognized(s)

Postby engerim » 10 Apr 2012, 14:40

Isha wrote:I want to buy Kindle Fire. Does anyone knows where I can buy one? Also would appreciate personal review of the product from user(s).

I got one shipped to Taiwan and rooted it for a friend (updated his bootloader, updated his recovery (TWRP) and installed Android 4.0.3 based Cyanogenmod 9 for him).
He's very happy with it. The thing you need to keep in mind:
It is a reading device, don't just blindly compare it with the iPad.
The Kindle Fire has no microphone, no camera, no USB Host mode, no bluetooth, no SD Card.

Personally I found it too heavy but the display is clear and the device itself is very fast. So for performance vs price its a good deal for a tablet if you just use it for reading or playing games.
Sketchbook Mobile and many other "business apps" also work well on it.

I'm still waiting for a tablet under 200 gramms (Kindle Fire is around 400 gramms), until then the old but light "Kindle Keyboard" will just do fine for books.
If you want to have a Fire, let me know. I can order it for you and even root it (my price for everything (device itself+shipping from US+rooting it): 10000 TWD.

You may want to save up for something better, or wait for affordable HD tablets. Also you may consider a Ultrabook.
If you want to watch movies with the default ROM of Amazon it won't work unless you got a VPN connected router (the Kindle itself can not connect to a VPN directly).
And for that... I'd recommend using a Roku 2 HD box connected to a TV + connected to a VPN.
Forumosan avatar
engerim
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

8 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Isha » 10 Apr 2012, 15:01

Dragonbones wrote:If you run a search you'll find at least one thread on Kindles, in the Tech section. I'll move this there for you.

Thanks, I checked that out but couldn't find info about Kindle fire.
Isha

ORIGINAL POSTER
22 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby PapaAzucar » 10 Apr 2012, 16:26

PapaAzucar
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Isha » 10 Apr 2012, 21:53

That is a good news. I heard that current one has some minor issues.
Isha

ORIGINAL POSTER
22 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby Isha » 10 Apr 2012, 21:54

engerim wrote:.
If you want to have a Fire, let me know. I can order it for you and even root it (my price for everything (device itself+shipping from US+rooting it): 10000 TWD.

You may want to save up for something better, or wait for affordable HD tablets. Also you may consider a Ultrabook.
If you want to watch movies with the default ROM of Amazon it won't work unless you got a VPN connected router (the Kindle itself can not connect to a VPN directly).
And for that... I'd recommend using a Roku 2 HD box connected to a TV + connected to a VPN.

Kindle Fire is 199 USD. Isn't 10K NTD rather high price?
Isha

ORIGINAL POSTER
22 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby engerim » 10 Apr 2012, 23:22

Isha wrote:Kindle Fire is 199 USD. Isn't 10K NTD rather high price?

Well you got no hassle when paying that. Its just the price I offer it for.
The ~150 USD I add on top is for shipping from the US, shipping insurance, import tax, handling the NCC declaration and the service of liberating (rooting) it and replacing the Amazon Software with a standard Android ROM.

There's probably other 7 inch tablets that you can get cheaper or at about the same price (with camera and other stuff) and that you can root yourself.

Or just wait a bit for the next generation and buy the more powerful version as PapaAzucar pointed out here (its seems to be just around the corner) or try your luck on eBay.
Forumosan avatar
engerim

8 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby PapaAzucar » 11 Apr 2012, 01:33

Isha wrote:

That is a good news. I heard that current one has some minor issues.

As engerim stated, the Kindle Fire is a reading device and not really a full fledged tablet. Although the 3 new Fire models will be better than the original Fire, I suspect that Amazon will still short-change the new Fires from being a full-fledged tablet since Amazon's goal is to sell items from its stores instead of providing a multi-purpose tablet. Amazon's new in-app purchasing is just another example.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-04-10/amazon-adds-in-app-purchases-to-woo-developers-away-from-apple.html
Rooting the Fire provides added functions, but it will still be short of the tablet.

I am personally waiting for the Google-Asus tablet, but may opt for the mini iPad (7.85-in) if Apple will release it.
http://www.geeksailor.com/google-nexus-tablet-delayed/
One advantage that the Fire may have over the tablets is that Amazon sells its devices at a loss in hopes of making it up with ad pop-ups and future Amazon store item sales.

Since the Kindle reader app and Amazon appstore are available on Android, iPad, Windows, etc., the tablets pretty much have access to whatever you purchase from the Amazon stores anyways, which is stored to your Amazon cloud and sync'ed to the Kindle reader app. Another advantage that the Fire might have over the tablets, is the Amazon direct wireless delivery (Whispernet 3G or wifi) to your Kindle device, which is still synced to your Amazon cloud. Anybody else knows of another Fire's advantage over tablets or iPad?

Also I will add that the Amazon ecosystem is far from perfect at this time. For example, my Kindle Touch Collection organization does not show up on my Windows Kindle reader app. Or I can not borrow the ebook from Overdrive directly from the Kindle, and get it delivered to the Kindle. I have to check out the ebook from my desktop, and then the ebook gets delivered wirelessly to my Kindle. Or that the Amazon Prime membership selection is lacking with only 1 free check out per month. I will probably cancel my 1-month trial membership soon.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/diy-it/the-kindle-owners-lending-library-is-a-little-8230-odd/492

Then again, no telling when all these new devices will be available in Taiwan, but I suspect they will be released this year.
PapaAzucar

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Isha » 11 Apr 2012, 13:39

Thanks PapaAzucar. If ipadmini comes up, that will be my first choice. It seems I should wait a while as this year may see multiple better versions rolled out.
Isha

ORIGINAL POSTER
22 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Technology