ASUS Padfone

Moderator: Mick

Re: ASUS Padfone

Postby Noodles77 » 23 May 2012, 08:08

Thanks PapaAzucar, I think the infinity will be out of my price range thoughg. Did some research on Taiwanese websites n prices are almost identical for TF300 here (€399) as from them (€394).
Noodles77
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Icon » 13 Jul 2012, 17:58

So, has anyone tried this one yet?

What I find is that most of these things are about the same price range: 20K for an iPhone, 20K for an HTC One, 20K plus for the Padphone (both the tablet and the phone). Price seems not to be a deciding factor here, if you buy the single thing. System seems to be the dealbreaker. And for me, battery life is more important.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

722 Recommends(s)
567 Recognized(s)

Postby dudumomo » 13 Jul 2012, 18:15

In Miramar, I had the chance to try both Asus Prime and Asus Padfone.
Both are impressive and the key board very nice.

But different usage.
The Padfone is at the end heavier than the Prime but so convenient to have both devices in 1. Always the same system, transition very fast, etc...
The choice is difficult in fact... but I do like with real keyboard anyway.

I might prefer the Prime as I have already a sufficient smartphone (Desire HD).

But I would be very interested to know your decision and how you use it.
Don't have the need for a tablet, but would like to see the benefit.
Debian Self hosting tutorials & news ==> http://www.freedif.org
dudumomo
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 14 Jul 2012, 12:15

I want to use a tablet to read my Zinio subscribed magazines. I also want to read fanfiction written ,mostly in PDF. Furthermore, my cellphone is really giving me trouble and I swear I will fling it against a wall if it freezes on mid call one more time. So I am quite interested in the dual system. But boy, is it expensive!

Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

722 Recommends(s)
567 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 17 Oct 2012, 10:23

ASUS just announced the Padphone 2 -that was fast. Looks quite nice.

Taiwan's Asustek Computer Inc. launched its second-generation hybrid smartphone in Taiwan Tuesday, an emerging segment in which the company is investing heavily to expand its research manpower.

The Padfone lineup is seen as a "restart point" for Asustek's smartphone business, and the company is dedicated to making its products more user-friendly, Sun said.

Since the original Padfone did not break into the U.S. market, Asustek has been in talks with AT&T Inc., the second-largest U.S. wireless carrier, to sell the second-generation model in the future, he said.

Asked if Asustek will use Microsoft Corp.'s new Windows 8 operating system in its third-generation Padfone, Sun said the company has not yet decided.

The Padfone 2 has a 4.7-inch high-resolution screen, is powered by Qualcomm Inc.'s 1.5 GHz quad-core processor and has Google Inc.'s Android software. It can be combined with a 10.1-inch tablet to provide the integrated functions of a phone and a pad.

The standalone 16 GB model will go on sale at NT$17,901 (US$612) in Taiwan later this week, while the bundled phone and tablet station will carry a price tag of NT$23,901.

I'm telling you, if I had not just arrived from a trip, I would get it. I realized how useful a bigger screen and interconnectivity can be. And teh Padphone concept is very attractive. Wonder why it doe snot sell that well in the US -marketing problems no doubt.

Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

722 Recommends(s)
567 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 29 Oct 2012, 17:24

Zhonghua is offering a plan starting at 3K a month for Padphone 2. The catch is that they will have the actual machines for testing in most outlets maybe, maybe by next month.

Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

722 Recommends(s)
567 Recognized(s)

Postby hansioux » 29 Oct 2012, 17:39

I had used my friend's padphone for a little while. It was very nice. The screen, built quality, battery life together with the pad... I can't imagine why it isn't all over the place.

Padphone 2 looks even better, especially now putting the phone into the pad is so much easier.
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
Forumosan avatar
hansioux
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

500 Recommends(s)
555 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby Icon » 05 Nov 2012, 10:12

Ok, this is annoying. No one has it on display, they only have it in the warehouse, "only 10 minutes away". So if you buy it, they show it to you. :fatchance:

It is one of those logic things. They do not have it on display because "it is expensive". But they do have the iPhone right there for every kid to play with. :doh: Actually, thinking about it, must be a setup so they sell more of the other stuff, while making excuses for not marketing the Asus, one of their own. :ponder: This makes no sense.

Lowest price I've got for the machine itself -16G- no contract, is 18K. With Zhonghua Telecom, it is over 2k a month contract for two years, you end up paying like more than 50K. :loco: Something here does not seem right.

Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

722 Recommends(s)
567 Recognized(s)

Postby megadata » 05 Nov 2012, 22:49

I bought a Padfone 2 with the docking Station from PCHome. Sadly after 3 days using it, I will be returning it for refund :-(

Hardware is great. Slim, sleek, well designed and light. New docking station is easy to use and tablet-wise its great for watching movies, youtube etc.

Maybe I was unlucky and got a friday afternoon model, but whenever the phone goes into standby mode, i.e. display turns off, chances are it will hang and not respond to any button or screen presses. Only a hard reset will fix it. For some reason Asus have 2 firmware versions, TW and CHT. Seems one is for 'Taiwan' and other is for Zhonghua. Phone from new got OTA update and actually downloaded the latest version which was TW. However I actually use Zhonghua Telecom and only got my micro sim a day later.

Thinking maybe the TW firmware was screwing things up, I downloaded the CHT version. But this was even more screwed up and totally unusable. At least with the TW ver I had a fully functional phone and station as long as I didn't let the screen turn off and idle.

Today I went to the Asus service centre and got them to take a look. Their tech rep confirmed the phone was faulty and told me to return it to the dealer. I was kinda hoping they had a secret fix/newer firmware but oh well.

Was I just unlucky or do I need to give Asus a few months to iron out bugs etc? I desperately need a new phone and HTC don't have anything with 2GB RAM so the choices I had was the Padfone or Note 2. I already have a Nexus 7 so I don't need something with a big screen. Any ideas!?
megadata

Postby aphasiac » 09 Nov 2012, 11:50

I had a play with a padphone 2 at NOVA. Very nice bit of kit, the phone iscso big and light, and feels fantastic build-quality wise. Docking station is ok but feels a bit heavy and is only the same resolution as the phone; would be more interested if it had a keyboard.

megadata wrote:Was I just unlucky or do I need to give Asus a few months to iron out bugs etc? I desperately need a new phone and HTC don't have anything with 2GB RAM so the choices I had was the Padfone or Note 2. I already have a Nexus 7 so I don't need something with a big screen. Any ideas!?

Sounds like a hardware fault to me. If it were software, it's would be a pretty big one for QA to miss, plus no review has mentioned it yet.
aphasiac
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

1 Recommends(s)
14 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Technology