Alternative to buying a phone?

Smoke signals? Djembe?
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
79 Recognized(s)

Re: Alternative to buying a phone?

Postby tango42 » 30 Apr 2012, 17:13

I have an unlocked iPhone 4S, with a chunghua 3G data SIM bought separately without a phone, for $850/month unlimited data. If someone in Taiwan wants to talk on the phone, they send me SMS, whatsapp, MSN, skype, etc. message, then I call them back on skype, another phone, etc. But we mostly just use messaging. For people back home that want to talk on phone, they just dial my free skype phone number.

Talking on the phone is so 2010.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

6 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan_Student » 01 May 2012, 15:58

tango42 wrote:I have an unlocked iPhone 4S, with a chunghua 3G data SIM bought separately without a phone, for $850/month unlimited data. If someone in Taiwan wants to talk on the phone, they send me SMS, whatsapp, MSN, skype, etc. message, then I call them back on skype, another phone, etc. But we mostly just use messaging. For people back home that want to talk on phone, they just dial my free skype phone number.

Tango... 3G for 850 a month but no incoming number?
Is that your only internet service or do you also pay for ADSL?

Doesn't anyone , need to contact you during the day when you are out. I mean like local shops or services where they may want to contact you to pick something up or need further instructions.
If Skype allowed you to buy a local number, like I do for the states, that would be great!
Does any one in Taiwan offer a Phone to NET service? As passe as it is, I still need the phone to do many things.
Taiwan_Student
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)

25 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby tango42 » 01 May 2012, 16:37

Taiwan_Student wrote:
tango42 wrote:I have an unlocked iPhone 4S, with a chunghua 3G data SIM bought separately without a phone, for $850/month unlimited data. If someone in Taiwan wants to talk on the phone, they send me SMS, whatsapp, MSN, skype, etc. message, then I call them back on skype, another phone, etc. But we mostly just use messaging. For people back home that want to talk on phone, they just dial my free skype phone number.

Tango... 3G for 850 a month but no incoming number?
>> I have an incoming number for SMS, etc., but not for a direct phone call.
Is that your only internet service or do you also pay for ADSL?
>> ADSL at home.

Doesn't anyone , need to contact you during the day when you are out. I mean like local shops or services where they may want to contact you to pick something up or need further instructions.
>> I give local shops, services, etc. a friends phone number, as my chinese might not be good enough to receive the call (wink)

If Skype allowed you to buy a local number, like I do for the states, that would be great!
Does any one in Taiwan offer a Phone to NET service? As passe as it is, I still need the phone to do many things.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42

6 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan_Student » 01 May 2012, 19:20

tango42 wrote:>> I give local shops, services, etc. a friends phone number, as my chinese might not be good enough to receive the call (wink)

You're a lucky man :bravo:

I live in the country so I burnt out would be translators after a while. So you have a friend who can receive a pick up call, or a cancelled appointment. Then get on the net and contact you? :discodance:

Did you ever have to call a Taiwan number from your phone? The skype rate to Taiwan ain't cheap. I use it for call forwarding. when I'm out. I don't have 3G, just the MOD/24M 999 a month package. I'd expect you'd have to occasionally tell someone you are going to be late or can't make it.

Isn't ADSL and every 3G a bit pricey? Have you thought of giving one up? Watching online video and internet radio is my main use besides E-mail. If I make the 3G jump, I'd probably have to give up the ADSL/MOD service. Seriously.. when the smart dual camera smart phones come down in price, I would go 3 G or since I live and work in a wifi environment, I would just turn off my 3G and use wifi for the net. I can't imagine being with out a local number though.
Taiwan_Student

25 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby cyberguppy » 29 May 2013, 11:29

Has anybody had experience with 7-11 Mobile?

I believe the deal seems pretty good with free calls to anyone else on the same network.

http://www.7-11.com.tw/7mobile/

1. See the website for the deal
2. They must be leveraging off someone elses infrastructure (Zhonghua?). Anybody know? What are the risks?
3. Would the telecom quality be equivalent to the other big players in the market. I do a lot of cycling and hiking in the high mountains where I would be needing it.
cyberguppy
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

4 Recognized(s)

Postby shiadoa » 30 May 2013, 02:49

Taiwan_Student wrote:Has anyone enjoyed using Skype on a cell phone via Wifi or even 3 G. Is it what I'm looking for? I don't have a smart phone yet. I'm trying to hold out until the dual camera phones come down in price.

I have a Company phone on contract with Zhanghua telecom. I use Skype (pay 29.95 GBP per month) and get unlimited calls to uK. I use Viber or Skype for USA/Germany calls. I have sometimes used the phone to make calls direct (when Skype used to reach its limit ?) problem was the bills were as high as 15,000NT more that month. :no-no:
Forumosan avatar
shiadoa
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

123 Recommends(s)
251 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 29 Jun 2011

Postby WolvesMon » 11 Aug 2013, 02:13

What is the best deal now for getting a basic 3g phone for free and signing a 24 month contract? How much to pay down?
I don't need all you can eat just less than 1 G per month would suffice.
Thanks in advance!
She said to me in Harlem. 'Hey! Keep a cool tool fool. I'm wise to the rise in your levis!'
WolvesMon
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

5 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Technology