Poor Mans/Woman video recording solution. Please help!

Moderator: Mick

Poor Mans/Woman video recording solution. Please help!

Postby Taiwan_Student » 27 Apr 2012, 16:02

OK. I bought more MOD Channels, Heck it was cheaper than cable and cheaper then I was paying before. But now I can't watch the shows. I have to work you know....

Due to family issues, I can't drop 3K on a DVR or TV card. Do you have an old Analog TV card you want to part with? The EZCAP USB video capture card is pure Drek. I can't find a Windows 7 driver for it. In my search, all I get is links to surveys and scams.

This is frustrating.... I really only want to watch one TV show, Doctor Who. The way I see it... I now pay a fee that entitles me to watch what's on. If anyone records it themselves or gets it any other way please pm me...
It's so hard to be freeking legal...
Taiwan_Student
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)

ORIGINAL POSTER
25 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Re: Poor Mans/Woman video recording solution. Please help!

Postby Confuzius » 27 Apr 2012, 17:25

Dude, its online somewhere, for sure, there are TONS of websites that will have links to the show about an hour after it airs.
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby Rockefeller » 27 Apr 2012, 22:38

Confuzius wrote:Dude, its online somewhere, for sure, there are TONS of websites that will have links to the show about an hour after it airs.

Google is your friend. :wink:

Also- maybe hulu has the show?
Forumosan avatar
Rockefeller
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

92 Recognized(s)

Postby Confuzius » 28 Apr 2012, 00:13

Rockefeller wrote:
Confuzius wrote:Dude, its online somewhere, for sure, there are TONS of websites that will have links to the show about an hour after it airs.

hulu dont work in taiwan, but yes, google is your friend
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Phillips » 28 Apr 2012, 00:37

The Pirate Bay is your friend. I get all my Dr Who from there. In the 1970s and 80s I watched it on free to air TV on public stations that had no ads, so what's the difference watching it for free on my computer? No one loses money, it's a win-win situation.
"Why do you want gas? It's hot. You can have cold showers" ~gas delivery man height of summer, 2010.

"Why you wear so many clothes? You are foreigner. Foreign countries are cold." buxiban owner, depth of winter 2011.
Forumosan avatar
Charlie Phillips
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)

87 Recommends(s)
165 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 23 Mar 2003

Postby Taiwan_Student » 28 Apr 2012, 00:42

Charlie Phillips wrote:The Pirate Bay is your friend. I get all my Dr Who from there. In the 1970s and 80s I watched it on free to air TV on public stations that had no ads, so what's the difference watching it for free on my computer? No one loses money, it's a win-win situation.

Because I don't want to get busted. ...
If I join a pirate bay or a torrent, would I be opening up my ip for sharing. Would I not be identified?

And... I freeking supported Doctor Who... I donated money to PBS which used that money to bring the Good Doctor to our station. Totally brought to air by donations, no underwriting.... People do pay...
Taiwan_Student

ORIGINAL POSTER
25 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Phillips » 28 Apr 2012, 01:03

Taiwan_Student wrote:Because I don't want to get busted. ...
If I join a pirate bay or a torrent, would I be opening up my ip for sharing. Would I not be identified?

And... I freeking supported Doctor Who... I donated money to PBS which used that money to bring the Good Doctor to our station. Totally brought to air by donations, no underwriting.... People do pay...

You don't have to join anything. Just download a torrent client like utorrent and surf to the pirate bay like any other website. No one is going to give you a DMCA for downloading Dr Who. If you don't want to share, just close your torrent program or remove it from your torrent program without deleting the vid from your hardrive.

I've downloaded whole seasons of Dr Who this way and caught up with the last half decade of episodes.

I actually bought a 3 season set from a bookstore in Taipei for about 900NT and they didn't even work so I feel entitled to unlimited downloading rights. When I was a kid I also spent heaps buying every Dr Who book, magazine and video I could get my hands on. I even went to a Dr Who convention in Sydney - saw Katy Manning in the flesh :lovestruck:
"Why do you want gas? It's hot. You can have cold showers" ~gas delivery man height of summer, 2010.

"Why you wear so many clothes? You are foreigner. Foreign countries are cold." buxiban owner, depth of winter 2011.
Forumosan avatar
Charlie Phillips

87 Recommends(s)
165 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 23 Mar 2003

Postby Rockefeller » 28 Apr 2012, 01:17

Confuzius wrote:
Rockefeller wrote:

hulu dont work in taiwan, but yes, google is your friend

not if you have VPN... :thumbsup:

Taiwan_Student wrote:
Charlie Phillips wrote:The Pirate Bay is your friend. I get all my Dr Who from there. In the 1970s and 80s I watched it on free to air TV on public stations that had no ads, so what's the difference watching it for free on my computer? No one loses money, it's a win-win situation.

Because I don't want to get busted. ...

Torrents are only more convenient if you own a PC. I used to download from torrents all the time but now I use a mac and I think there's only one client for it (tomato) and the UI just doesnt cut it, so I went instead with streaming if I wanted to watch movies or shows or whathaveyou.
Forumosan avatar
Rockefeller

92 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan_Student » 28 Apr 2012, 13:32

Charlie Phillips wrote:I actually bought a 3 season set from a bookstore in Taipei for about 900NT and they didn't even work so I feel entitled to unlimited downloading rights. When I was a kid I also spent heaps buying every Dr Who book, magazine and video I could get my hands on. I even went to a Dr Who convention in Sydney - saw Katy Manning in the flesh :lovestruck:

Yeah... me too! But I bought the one season set at Carrefoure. It was on sale! I refused to return it because the price was too good...

I tried following up with Taiwan manufacturer but found out that they left the DVD business and the new agents told me it is not their problem. Because of my limited Chinese, I had to stop there.

I believe that as part of a trade off for us customers to accept a physical format where you give up your right to make backup copies, I believe that the owners (BBC) are obliged to allow you to get a replacement for a nominal cost (cost of media only). I can't seem to find the contact at the BBC that is charge of DVD SALES and Licensing. I need a contact number. Even if I'm not entitled to it... I will get one.. after I talk to the right department. I'm good at that... I am THE MASTER OF HE GUILT TRIP. Help please.

I will reluctantly do the torrents I think... My attitude about copyrights sure has changed when i ran into DVD Region Codes, going through hassles of Changing moving software from one licensed computer to an other various other junk.
But, I would rather equip my computer with a way of recording my MOD shows. I'm obligated to two years. I should enjoy some shows...
Taiwan_Student

ORIGINAL POSTER
25 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby Confuzius » 28 Apr 2012, 14:27

Whats so scary about seeding torrents?

Are they gonna come bust down your door for seeding?

I know TW isnt keen on uploading too much stuff, but simple seeding?
Confuzius

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Technology