Best Acer notebook value for money

Moderator: Mick

Best Acer notebook value for money

Postby irishmoe » 04 May 2012, 08:13

Buying a new laptop soon and was wondering if anyone has any advice on what to look out for.

I like this one as it seems to have all that I need

http://shopping.pchome.com.tw/DGAV0M-A63024795

I'm using it at home for movies and streaming mostly.
Copywriting,Web content, Link building, and Chinese to English translation services at Gecko Create

Built my first site Chelsea Dental Clinic
irishmoe
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Best Acer notebook value for money

Postby DistraChi » 10 May 2012, 14:31

if you won't be playing graphics intensive games, I don't recommend getting a notebook with standalone video card like the one you linked to. it's a waste of money. The CPU already has a decent video card built into it.

Use the money saved from not getting a standalone video card and spend it on upgrading the RAM to 4 GB.

Also, if you don't plan on carrying it around much and are not using an external monitor, then I recommend getting a larger screen. . . 15.6" is pretty popular. It'll make watching movies a bit more enjoyable.
DistraChi
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby milkalex » 10 May 2012, 14:37

Well for 16 grand that notebook is not bad at all but its on sale and won't be in stock very long.
milkalex
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

7 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby trubadour » 10 May 2012, 16:51

best value is the most computer for the money you want to spend - pretty hard to give advice on that as the deals vary from place to place
trubadour
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

114 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby trubadour » 10 May 2012, 16:55

If you like the one you linked to, get it.
Later, if you find there's not enough RAM, get more. RAM is the most common upgrade.
trubadour

114 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby irishmoe » 10 May 2012, 22:33

Thanks folks.
my sister in-law works at acer so I'll be getting a staff discount and probably not the same specs but my link was just to get an idea of what is necessary from a hardware point of view.
As regards a larger screen theres no real need as I always hook up to the tv for movies. Never watch on the screen itself.

Thanks again
Copywriting,Web content, Link building, and Chinese to English translation services at Gecko Create

Built my first site Chelsea Dental Clinic
irishmoe

ORIGINAL POSTER

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Technology