US Cell Phone / SIM

Moderator: Mick

US Cell Phone / SIM

Postby vitosans » 05 May 2012, 04:24

Just wondering if anyone has info off the top of their head about cellphones from the US - I have a T-Mobile Nexus-S rooted and unlocked, can I purchase a SIM in Taipai and have voice and data?

My wife and I will be there next week and I need voice and data for work, whats the best option for me?

T-Mobile US Bands: 850 ; 900 ;1800 ;1900 ; UMTS: Band I (2100); UMTS: Band IV (1700/2100); UMTS: Band VIII (900) ^KN

I will continue to use the search function and read all I can but with limited amount of time I thought I would just ask.

cheers,
Forumosan avatar
vitosans
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: US Cell Phone / SIM

Postby vitosans » 08 May 2012, 14:29

Now that I am on the ground, I can update this post for anyone else coming from the US w/ a T-MO phone and wondering the same things. Lucky for me my wife is from Taipei and is fluent w/ Mandarin or I would suggest you get this done at the airport as doing so at a local Zhonghua office is a bit ruff. Here is what I ended up doing.

1. During our walk search for a Mr. Donut we stumbled on to a Zhonghua office so we went in and asked about a pre-paid sim.
2. Bring passport and 2nd ID
3. Around ~1000 NT
4. Fill out paper work

I am getting 3G / HSPA+ all over the place. I mostly need data for work emergencies but also got a handful of mins to go w/ it just in case.

So for future searchers, yes T-Mobile US Bands work on TW, I am using Zhonghua for my provider.
Forumosan avatar
vitosans

ORIGINAL POSTER

Return to Technology