Beer in my keyboard

Moderator: Mick

Beer in my keyboard

Postby Gilgamesh » 09 May 2012, 21:15

Last night I was doing the stereotypical drunken writer thing and I ended up spilling a bottle of beer on my keyboard. The keyboard still seems to work but I'm wondering if the beer will cause damage at a later date if I don't clean it?

The only thing wrong with my keyboard right now is that it, and my office, smell of beer. I'm leaning towards just forgetting about it and if it stops working then I'll just go out and buy a new one.

Should I be worried about beer in my keyboard?
Gilgamesh
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recognized(s)

Re: Beer in my keyboard

Postby finley » 09 May 2012, 21:24

No. You should be worried about wasting your beer.

The inside of a keyboard is normally a cheap membrane layer - basically, two sheets of plastic printed with conductive ink - that is surprisingly difficult to contaminate. As an added line of defence, there is usually a rubber thingy completely covering the top of the membrane (its purpose is to give the keyboard the right 'feel', but it doubles as a beer protector).

If it's fine now, it'll most likely be fine for a good while longer. Don't attempt to open it and clean it because you'll never get it back together again, and you'll waste more than $200NT worth of your time (ie., the price of a new one).
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

858 Recommends(s)
657 Recognized(s)

Postby Mick » 09 May 2012, 21:27

Is it a laptop or desktop? If its the latter, you have no worries, and a replacement is cheap. If the smell is overwhelming open it up and use alcohol to clean and if you ruin it, well, then buy a new one.
Forumosan avatar
Mick
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

56 Recommends(s)
98 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 09 May 2012, 21:35

finley wrote:No. You should be worried about wasting your beer.

Especially if it was Belgian beer ...
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby Gilgamesh » 09 May 2012, 21:51

Belgian Pie wrote:
finley wrote:No. You should be worried about wasting your beer.

Especially if it was Belgian beer ...

I'm not sure if the beer qualifies as a Belgian beer but the label did say it was a Belgian White. I bought a case of beer from Costco which had four different kinds of beer in it. Belgian White was one of the beers.

I quite liked it unfortunately, Costco didn't have any more beer the last time I went and now I'm down to my last three bottles although I spilled the last Belgian White last night :cry:
Gilgamesh

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recognized(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 09 May 2012, 21:58

Learn to not spill.
Place the beer at least 30 cm longer than your arm can reach. Or do a Hemingway and type standing up, with the booze on another table.
Trust me, it works.
:s
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

4 Recommends(s)
240 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-2114
Gruntleness: Fully Disgruntled

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Technology