Custom built desktop:where?

Moderator: Mick

Custom built desktop:where?

Postby Ares81 » 19 May 2012, 16:41

hi all, not sure if i should have opened this topic here or in the "where do I find..." section...forgive me if I'm wrong xD

I'll be moving to Taiwan in August and one of my first priorities will be to replace my old laptop with a good desktop. I want to custom build it, so could you suggest any store with reasonable prices/service? I'll be in Taichung so just consider physical stores from that area. I'd prefer a online store due to (usually) lower prices, so any suggestione is welcome and appreciated!
Ares81
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Custom built desktop:where?

Postby jctw » 25 May 2012, 00:15

Where are you now? Might be cheaper to build it there and just ship it / bring it with you on the airplane (specially if you have access to microcenter or newegg).
jctw
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

1 Recommends(s)

Postby Tiger Mountaineer » 25 May 2012, 00:47

Newegg in the States is definitely cheaper than buying parts in Taiwan. You can get an idea of what the local prices for components are here:
http://www.coolpc.com.tw/evaluate.php

That shop is about as cheap as it gets.
Forumosan avatar
Tiger Mountaineer
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

11 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby maunaloa » 25 May 2012, 01:25

I agree about Newegg.... esp. if you watch the Daily Deals. If you want power, get one of their gamer systems.
maunaloa
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

17 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby jctw » 25 May 2012, 07:43

If you're going to bring it with you on your flight be sure to either repackage or cover up the labels that may let people know it's a computer.
jctw
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

1 Recommends(s)

Postby Abacus » 25 May 2012, 10:02

I agree. buy the guts of the computer in the states and pick up the power supply and box here.

Of course you won't be able to return anything if there is a problem.
Abacus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

124 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Technology