ask.com

Moderator: Mick

ask.com

Postby Enigma » 04 Jun 2012, 04:07

How do I get rid of this? (Ask.com) Pleaese! I went through control panel and uninstalled but it is still popping up. Wankers! Suggestions?
Enigma
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

ORIGINAL POSTER
15 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Re: ask.com

Postby Chris » 04 Jun 2012, 07:09

I hate Ask.com for numerous reasons, and this is one of them.

Try getting Ad-Aware or Spybot: they should remove that and other spyware/malware on your system, and it's free.

Also, under what circumstances does it pop up? Make sure your homepage isn't set to Ask.com.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

88 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

Postby trubadour » 04 Jun 2012, 08:19

OP might want to find a decent uninstaller

Revo for 32bit
Advanced uninstaller for 64
trubadour
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

114 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Enigma » 04 Jun 2012, 21:28

Chris wrote:I hate Ask.com for numerous reasons, and this is one of them.

Try getting Ad-Aware or Spybot: they should remove that and other spyware/malware on your system, and it's free.

Also, under what circumstances does it pop up? Make sure your homepage isn't set to Ask.com.
Enigma

ORIGINAL POSTER
15 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby Enigma » 04 Jun 2012, 21:32

Chris wrote:I hate Ask.com for numerous reasons, and this is one of them.

Thx. I used to use Adware but with Avira, I stopped. Bad mistake. Back to an addition of adware. Wankers. Hope I can poke one of them in the nose one day soon. Probably get my ass kicked but I'll get the first poke.
Thx again, I'll get adaware again.
Enigma

ORIGINAL POSTER
15 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby EricFromAsk » 05 Jun 2012, 03:12

Hi Enigma,

We post complete toolbar removal information right here: http://asksupport.custhelp.com/app/answ ... /a_id/2908

If you need any other assistance, give our Customer Support team an email via this link: http://asksupport.custhelp.com/app/ask

Best regards,
Eric
EricFromAsk
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Chris » 05 Jun 2012, 03:54

EricFromAsk wrote:Hi Enigma,

We post complete toolbar removal information right here: http://asksupport.custhelp.com/app/answ ... /a_id/2908

If you need any other assistance, give our Customer Support team an email via this link: http://asksupport.custhelp.com/app/ask

Best regards,
Eric

Eric,

Removing software should simply be a matter of going to the Control Panel, going to Add/Remove Programs, and removing the software you don't want. A program that needs special instructions or software to remove is a Bad Thing.

Also, people generally install the Ask.com toolbar by accident, because it is set as "opt out". This in my view is unethical. When I'm installing a product, I don't want additional products being installed along with it unless I make a conscious choice to install them. "Opt-in" is the only ethical option.

These practices give your company a bad name.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

88 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

Postby trubadour » 05 Jun 2012, 19:55

Chris wrote:These practices give your company a bad name.

:bravo: indeed
trubadour

114 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 05 Jun 2012, 20:04

"Opt-in" is the only ethical option.

Maybe so. The problem with that is when you have a shitty "product" that nobody actually wants. If they made it "opt-out," they'd have no suckers -- oops! I mean "customers." :lol:
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Technology