Microphone problem with SKYPE

Moderator: Mick

Microphone problem with SKYPE

Postby Hartzell » 11 Jun 2012, 07:51

What exactly are the STEPS which one should go through when using SKYPE, and the other party says that he/she is not hearing anything?????

I seem to recall that I updated my SKYPE some weeks ago, and there was a very nice interface where you could make a test transmission and see your earphone and microphone sound levels. However, I have searched through the Menu choices on SKYPE and that sort of facility doesn't seem to be available.

There is an option to record a message, which is called "Echo/Sound Test Service". I have done that and nothing that I say becomes recorded. I can hear the other party fine however. (And when someone calls me on SKYPE I can hear them fine. But they can't hear me.)

Hence, I conclude that there is some problem with my microphone, but I am not sure how to proceed that this point. It would seem reasonable that SKYPE has additional testing procedures, and/or maintenance tips, etc. but I cannot find them in the Menu choices.

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

P.S. I searched for "microphone problem" in the Technology Forum before posting this inquiry. I did not find anything relevant to my question in those search results.
Richard W. Hartzell
contact me by email at rwh.midway@gmail.com
Neihu District, Taipei (114)
Forumosan avatar
Hartzell
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
19 Recognized(s)

Re: Microphone problem with SKYPE

Postby Mick » 11 Jun 2012, 10:04

This was a regular problem for me, as I had multiple microphones to choose from but seems like its not an issue any more. Under "Call" there is an option for "audio settings" that brings up a control panel and microphone options are at the top. You might wish to see if there are alternate microphones to choose from and the correct one is selected.
Forumosan avatar
Mick
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

56 Recommends(s)
98 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 11 Jun 2012, 11:23

If your mike wasn't plugged in before hand, it definitely helps to restart skype once everything is set up correctly.

Another thing is to make sure your mike is selected under Call/Audio Settings, and not the sound card input (as often seems to be the case)
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

317 Recommends(s)
313 Recognized(s)

Postby Hartzell » 11 Jun 2012, 23:37

Microphone
The only choice I am offered (on a pull-down menu) is "HD Audio rear input" . . . . .

However, I went into the "sound settings" on the computer's CONTROL PANEL, and found a picture of a microphone, and next to that I changed the setting from
Microphone
-- to --
Front Mic

and it seems to work now.
Richard W. Hartzell
contact me by email at rwh.midway@gmail.com
Neihu District, Taipei (114)
Forumosan avatar
Hartzell

ORIGINAL POSTER
19 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Technology