Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Frozen Kindle (keyboard/3G version)

Moderator: Mick

Frozen Kindle (keyboard/3G version)

Postby Baas Babelaas » 23 Jun 2012, 00:31

Out of the blue my Kindle's screen froze up. About 70% of the screen show the same screensaver of John Steinbeck. The other 20% shows whited out lines, and the bottom 10% shows what it should.

I did everything Amazon said - charge up the battery, do the 20 second hold on the Power button to turn of, then back on again. No luck.

Any ideas? I didn't buy it from Amazon, rather an online store (I'm in Xiamen). It's genuine though, and registered in the US.

I heard Amazon is pretty good about fixing this kind of problem, as they's like to have the repeat business on books bought.

I haven't contacted them. Was wondering if any Kindle owners out there encountered this problem and had a solution.

Worst comes to worst I either send it to Amazon for repairs (courier fees) or toss it and get another one. This is the first time my Kindle has gone funky on me after two years.
Forumosan avatar
Baas Babelaas
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
9 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Re: Frozen Kindle (keyboard/3G version)

Postby housecat » 23 Jun 2012, 11:27

Contact the place you bought it and see if they'll swap it out, or contact Amazon. I bought mine from Amazon, but I had no problem returning it, and in fact they were so quick about it that my new one was here by the day I took my old one to the post office to send it back.
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)

Postby Baas Babelaas » 24 Jun 2012, 02:51

Amazon just told me they would replace my Kindle with a new one at a cost of $85 + $20 shipping to and from China.

Works out to $105 (NT3140)

I could get a new Kindle 4 Touch for NT2200 or the Fire for NT6100.

Tempting to go for one of the new (above) models. Or I could get a smartphone with a 4 inch scree and read off of that.

What ya's reckon? I'm already pining for my Kndle - I need some kind of e-book reader..
Forumosan avatar
Baas Babelaas

ORIGINAL POSTER
9 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby superking » 24 Jun 2012, 05:29

Baas Babelaas wrote:Or I could get a smartphone with a 4 inch scree and read off of that.

You'll need rechargeable eyes to go with that, fella.
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

88 Recommends(s)
326 Recognized(s)

Postby housecat » 24 Jun 2012, 08:29

Baas Babelaas wrote:Amazon just told me they would replace my Kindle with a new one at a cost of $85 + $20 shipping to and from China.

Works out to $105 (NT3140)

I could get a new Kindle 4 Touch for NT2200 or the Fire for NT6100.

Tempting to go for one of the new (above) models. Or I could get a smartphone with a 4 inch scree and read off of that.

What ya's reckon? I'm already pining for my Kndle - I need some kind of e-book reader..

When I bought my Kindle, last year, the keybord modle was still the only one that would work here in Taiwan. I don't understand why, but that was the case. Before you decide to upgrade, make sure whatever product you buy will actually work here.
Forumosan avatar
housecat

96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)

Postby Baas Babelaas » 24 Jun 2012, 12:06

superking wrote:
Baas Babelaas wrote:Or I could get a smartphone with a 4 inch scree and read off of that.

You'll need rechargeable eyes to go with that, fella.

True that. I've been using my netbook to read the last couple of days - just not the same as e-ink, or holding the Kindle as one would a book. E-ink is really easy on the eyes, backlit screens not so.
Forumosan avatar
Baas Babelaas

ORIGINAL POSTER
9 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby superking » 28 Jun 2012, 15:11

Saw this and thought of you... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18618521
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking

88 Recommends(s)
326 Recognized(s)

Postby scomargo » 28 Jun 2012, 15:52

Baas Babelaas wrote:I could get a new Kindle 4 Touch for NT2200 or the Fire for NT6100.

Is that Touch price correct? If so, that's even cheaper than in the US. I'd go for that in a heartbeat.
Forumosan avatar
scomargo
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

17 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby Baas Babelaas » 29 Jun 2012, 04:00

Is that Touch price correct? If so, that's even cheaper than in the US. I'd go for that in a heartbeat.

Bought through Taobao.

Saw this and thought of you... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18618521

I likey like!
Forumosan avatar
Baas Babelaas

ORIGINAL POSTER
9 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan_Student » 06 Jul 2012, 18:22

Baas Babelaas ...

Hi... I'm like the world expert in Kindle Problems in my humble opinion and I know I am an expert in what my own opinion is...

I had a similar problem. My kindle was stuck on the screen saver. Or it would sometime got to text than flash back again to the screen saver. It was a Kindle Touch. It was still under warranty. I being a former helpdesk guru did everything to help save an exchange...

They finally agree to to exchange it. Actually because I lived in Taiwan... they said that it was not even worth returning... and just shipped a replacement to my US address. At that time, the add supported version was not allowed to be shipped out of Taiwan. They sent the kill codes just in case I was lying about it not being working though...

Long and behold.. I fixed the sucker... But I won't tell them.. Here is the story...
The Kindle started acting strangely after I downloaded a public domain book. I asked the Tech if I could just reset the damn machine. He said you have to get into it first. (Not having a hard reset button is one stupid design flaw)
Anyway.. I got up at two o'clock in the morning one day. Looked at my computer and wondered.. what if I connect kindle to my computer and delete the files manually.. I did.. The Kindle came back to life.. It works..

Of course I can'd do anything with it because the moment I log back on line.. it will be bricked. But it can play public domain books.
I love and hate my Kindle..
Pro Kindle in Taiwan
1. Kindles will work anywhere! It's what you are allowed to buy or borrow that will determine whether you get a Kindle or a Nook type thing.

2. There are a lot of reasonable priced books. The Kindle Touch integrates well with Audibles, Amazon's audio book service, and just before you want to Chuck the Kindle or Audible membership, there will always be a too good to resist special offer.
3. If you have a US Proxy, and a US billing address you can use your American Public Library for a ton of Kindle books
4. If you need good Text to speech.
Pro Nook (EPUB)
The Taipei Library has a ton of epub books free to borrow. AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIVE IN OR EVEN TRAVEL TO TAIPEI TO GET YOUR CARD JUST PART WITH YOUR ARC FOR A COUPLE DAYS...
EPUB is an open system and there are a great number of Readers available. Check out the ones advertised in the Kiosk at Family Mart.
I'm too tied to my kindle to give it up. If I knew the headaches I would get later from being "busted" and dropped as a US customer I would have probably went with the E-pub system.
I was so happy before being busted. I would borrow two or three kindle books every week and I was buying the special priced books about once a month. Then one day... bam.. My librarybooks would not download to the kindle and I was not eligible for special offers. Stupid Stupid. I was giving them more money than before....
Go with any E-Ink Reader. I tried a ton of devices from Laptops to cell phones and I could not read anything in the Taiwan sun. The E-Ink Devices are Heaven and my Kindle is always by my side!
Taiwan_Student
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

24 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Technology