Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Using HideMyAss with a router...

Moderator: Mick

Using HideMyAss with a router...

Postby Reaperjim » 02 Jul 2012, 13:09

Mangrove Cable is obviously throttling my torrent client, as anything not torrent related downloads really fast, with torrents standing at a measly 5-10kbps. So, I got HideMyAss for a month. I think I will keep it IF I can get it working fast enough. Right now, it is sluggish as hell. I am using an IP in The Philippines, but browsing is so sluggish and my torrent client , while operating faster than before, still caps out at about 300 (compared to the 6.1k it downloads at from the likes of Steam).

I looked on the HideMyAss forums, and apparently I need to flash my firmware of my router, which is a Hitron CDE-30364. However, I can't find the router on any lists of routers that are compatible with the DD-WRT firmware. Most reports of HIdeMyAss say that it runs smoothly and quickly, so is my router the problem? Ever since I got this connection with Mangrove, I have been throttled to hell and i just want to get my original download speeds back while having the benefit of using HMA to access stuff like Hulu (which works with HMA).

Thanks in advance for any advice...
Madam Speaker said,
Reaperjim
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Re: Using HideMyAss with a router...

Postby Reaperjim » 02 Jul 2012, 14:00

Reaperjim wrote:Mangrove Cable is obviously throttling my torrent client, as anything not torrent related downloads really fast, with torrents standing at a measly 5-10kbps. So, I got HideMyAss for a month. I think I will keep it IF I can get it working fast enough. Right now, it is sluggish as hell. I am using an IP in The Philippines, but browsing is so sluggish and my torrent client , while operating faster than before, still caps out at about 300 (compared to the 6.1k it downloads at from the likes of Steam).

I looked on the HideMyAss forums, and apparently I need to flash my firmware of my router, which is a Hitron CDE-30364. However, I can't find the router on any lists of routers that are compatible with the DD-WRT firmware. Most reports of HIdeMyAss say that it runs smoothly and quickly, so is my router the problem? Ever since I got this connection with Mangrove, I have been throttled to hell and i just want to get my original download speeds back while having the benefit of using HMA to access stuff like Hulu (which works with HMA).

I might also add that I see another connection at the top of my wireless connection list in Win 7 called HMAVPN, but I can't connect to it no matter what I do. Also, speedtest.com rates my D/L speed at about 1mb, whereas my connection should be 20mb.

Thanks in advance for any advice...
Madam Speaker said,
Reaperjim

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby boho » 05 Jul 2012, 03:14

What torrent client are you using? And is the necessary port forwarded? That makes a big difference. But since you're using proxies you probably have already done that and know what you're doing.
boho
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Gary78 » 06 Jul 2012, 10:18

It might just be worth getting a cheap DD-WRT router, I can very much recommend the Asus RT-N10+. I picked one up for 699NT from a 3C strore and it's been rock solid for around 6 months now, never needing a reboot. It's an N-Lite router though (advertised as 150Mbps), so if you have more than 50Mbps internet connection over wifi, the wifi link will be slower than your internet connection.

I got a years subscription to HMA, it runs out on the 23rd of this month and I won't be renewing it. Connections from China to the US and UK were often too slow to be useable, but that might have been down to the Great Firewall of China rather than HMA. Lots of people I met in China suggested StrongVPN, so if I need a VPN again, I'll give that a go next time.

Have you tried the Tokyo Server? The fastest connections with HMA from Taiwan and China seemed to be through the Tokyo server.
Gary78
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Technology