New Kindle came without Kindle OS

Moderator: Mick

New Kindle came without Kindle OS

Postby Baas Babelaas » 18 Jul 2012, 21:01

So, my last Kindle lost the plot and died on me. Amazon suggested I replace it with a brand new one as shipping a replacement to China was not possible.

So I bought a new one, the $109 jobby, from the same online dealer as the previous Kindle.

However, they've installed a Chinese OS called Duokan. I don't want a Chinese OS, I want a standard Kindle. Some info on Duokan:

What is Duokan?

Its an alternative OS for the Kindle developed by a Chinese team. It's also available on Kindle2/Kindle DX/Kindle DXG. It's free for non-commercial use. It doesn't overwrite the official system in Kindle, but works as a secondary system. After installation, there's a boot menu where you can select from Duokan or the official system by pressing 1 or 2 ("Q" and "W" on a Kindle 3). Duokan improves on the compatiblity with Chinese characters of the K3, along other key features. It has a new PDF reader which provides full-screen reading, cropping the white margin and better support of two/four-column papers. Duokan can also do partial screen refreshes which is faster when switching pages compared with the default black screen refresh used in the original system. Users report that Duokan works better with comics and some complicated PDF files.

I tried getting rid of this OS by deleting their files and rebooting. No go - the Kindle page was half-loaded up and then it reverted to Duokan homepage.

Any suggestions, other than sending it back to the dealer (another 10 day wait)..
Forumosan avatar
Baas Babelaas
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
9 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Re: New Kindle came without Kindle OS

Postby Belgian Pie » 18 Jul 2012, 21:06

Buy a decent PAD ... and no, not an iPad ...
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
92 Recognized(s)

Re: New Kindle came without Kindle OS

Postby Baas Babelaas » 18 Jul 2012, 21:32

Sorted it out. Held the power button down for a good 35 seconds and it rebooted itself into Kindle (Proper) mode.

Pad? Some time in the future.
Forumosan avatar
Baas Babelaas

ORIGINAL POSTER
9 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Technology