Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

blocking outgoing calls from a landline

Moderator: Mick

blocking outgoing calls from a landline

Postby atrac » 21 Feb 2016, 05:45

Hi all,
My wife is Taiwanese, but she left the country many years ago; we leave in EU. Now, my father in law is invalid and he will be back from the hospital soon; a caregiver will stay with my parents in law. Now, we are a bit worry about possible abuse of the phone: since she is foreigner, we are afraid that she might use the land-line to call her country. I think the company is 中華電信. Do you know if there is a way to block outgoing calls or control them with a pin code? Not sure if my mother in law is able to ask the company this question, she might need our help even if we are abroad.
Thanks in advance.
atrac
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo
 
Posts: 34
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
Joined: 12 Apr 2012, 20:23



Re: blocking outgoing calls from a landline

Postby Charlie Phillips » 21 Feb 2016, 09:42

atrac wrote:Hi all,
My wife is Taiwanese, but she left the country many years ago; we leave in EU. Now, my father in law is invalid and he will be back from the hospital soon; a caregiver will stay with my parents in law. Now, we are a bit worry about possible abuse of the phone: since she is foreigner, we are afraid that she might use the land-line to call her country. I think the company is 中華電信. Do you know if there is a way to block outgoing calls or control them with a pin code? Not sure if my mother in law is able to ask the company this question, she might need our help even if we are abroad.
Thanks in advance.


If you don't trust foreigners, why don't you just hire a Taiwanese?

If you really have to hire a foreign carer, you could supply her with a phone card so she can call her family often. The cards are really cheap, and would allow the foreign stranger who is caring for your family member to stay in contact with her own family.
OK, it's not a magazine. It's just shit that happens: here. http://news.thewildeast.net
User avatar
Charlie Phillips
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
 
Posts: 2474
Joined: 21 Nov 2005, 14:53
Location: Caught between a ROC and a hard place
In Taiwan since: 23 Mar 2003



Re: blocking outgoing calls from a landline

Postby Gryphon » 21 Feb 2016, 12:51

If you don't want her to use the phone, get her a mobile phone number with unlimited data usage. Then she can use messaging apps to communicate with her family.
User avatar
Gryphon
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: 25 Jul 2011, 20:54



Re: blocking outgoing calls from a landline

Postby jimipresley » 21 Feb 2016, 13:09

Charlie Phillips wrote:If you don't trust foreigners, why don't you just hire a Taiwanese?


They're not as cheap. :neutral:
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
User avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 10914
Joined: 06 Dec 2004, 18:23
Location: The Abyss. Awaiting YOUR company.
In Taiwan since: 07 Apr 2001



Re: blocking outgoing calls from a landline

Postby Charlie Phillips » 21 Feb 2016, 16:02

jimipresley wrote:
Charlie Phillips wrote:If you don't trust foreigners, why don't you just hire a Taiwanese?


They're not as cheap. :neutral:


Depends: Employ-ee, or employ-er?
OK, it's not a magazine. It's just shit that happens: here. http://news.thewildeast.net
User avatar
Charlie Phillips
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
 
Posts: 2474
Joined: 21 Nov 2005, 14:53
Location: Caught between a ROC and a hard place
In Taiwan since: 23 Mar 2003



Re: blocking outgoing calls from a landline

Postby atrac » 21 Feb 2016, 17:42

Thanks to everybody for your suggestions.
They hired a foreigner for many reasons, mainly because this lady in particular is very experienced in nursing and she is very strong (she is the only caregiver who is able to move my father in law from the bed to the wheelchair). It took weeks to find a good caregiver, they tried several, both Taiwanese and foreigners.
It is not the fact that we do not trust her, but it is better to prevent embarrassing situations. Believe me, it can happen. I shared a room with a guy at university and I had exactly this problem (500USD 20yrs ago... I had to pay).
Buying a card might be a solution (I suppose she already use the cards) but it will not prevent the use of the landline.
BTW, is anybody able to reply to my initial question?
I'm asking again, is there a way to block outgoing calls? Using the landline to receive only would be acceptable.
atrac
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo
 
Posts: 34
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
Joined: 12 Apr 2012, 20:23



Re: blocking outgoing calls from a landline

Postby Taiwan_Student » 22 Feb 2016, 00:27

Yes, you can block outgoing calls by ordering the service from the phone company. We blocked long distance calls and cell phones to prevent students from chatting too long with their parents on our dime. It's done by setting up a code that you punch in on the keyboard. I think it must be managed by the actual phone you are blocking so, I hope there is someone in the country to both lock and unlock that phone.
Taiwan_Student
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
 
Posts: 1914
Joined: 17 May 2001, 16:01
Location: Borg



Re: blocking outgoing calls from a landline

Postby atrac » 22 Feb 2016, 00:50

Taiwan_Student wrote:Yes, you can block outgoing calls by ordering the service from the phone company. We blocked long distance calls and cell phones to prevent students from chatting too long with their parents on our dime. It's done by setting up a code that you punch in on the keyboard. I think it must be managed by the actual phone you are blocking so, I hope there is someone in the country to both lock and unlock that phone.

My wife will do it. We are coming to Taiwan soon. I was just not sure that there was this option, now I know. Thanks!
atrac
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo
 
Posts: 34
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
Joined: 12 Apr 2012, 20:23



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.




Return to Technology



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 0 guests

cron