Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Laptop suggestions please!

Moderator: Mick

Laptop suggestions please!

Postby Baas Babelaas » 13 Apr 2016, 23:27

It's about that time when I need to get a new laptop.

My budget is approx. NT$25-30k.

I would like something slim and lightweight. DVD-R not necessary. Decent processor and 4G RAM minimum. Internal memory 500G+. 13 inch.

I'm not brand-fussy.

I had my eye on the Dell XPS13, but it comes in at 40k+.

Any suggestions? I will be making the actual order online, so if you can send me some links I'll do the research.

The laptop will be used for work (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and entertainment (surfing the net, watching videos and movies, and listening to music).

I'll be downloading a fair amount of stuff too, thus the bigger the memory the better, although I will be getting a 1T EHD at the same time as this purchase.

Cheers!
Baas Babelaas
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Laptop suggestions please!

Postby hansioux » 14 Apr 2016, 12:31

Since gaming, graphic design and data mining aren't listed as it's primary function, you really don't need to get a top of the line model.

If you are into downloading stuff you need more storage instead of memory. For laptops and desktops, the term memory usually refers to DRAM, which you won't be able get 500G+ DRAM with your budget.

Since you are getting a EHD, you may consider getting an SSD for your internal hard drive. It will increase system performance. However, do not download large files directly to your SSD, always make sure you download to your EHD, as an SSD has a limited number of times you can write to it, and its performance deteriorate the more you write to it.

GIGABYTE P15F v5, with i7 processor, 128GB PCIe SSD, 8GB DDR3 DRAM, for $30900
http://24h.pchome.com.tw/prod/DHAV39-A9006V95Q

For this one you need to shell out to upgrade to 512GB M.2 PCIe SSD, and you can get additional internal HDD upto 2TB. If you choose to do that, the price would be closer to $40k. It will be a gaming grade laptop with an Intel i7 processor though. By the way, better performance usually means less battery life.

ASUS N551JB-0052A4200H, with i5-4200H processor, 24G SSD, plus 1TB internal HDD, 4GB DDR3L, for $30900
http://24h.pchome.com.tw/prod/DHAFEB-A9006TE90

ASUS Zenbook, with 256GB SSD, 4GB DDR3 DRAM for $25900
http://24h.pchome.com.tw/prod/DHAFBJ-A9006QCOX

Same model with Microsoft Office for $29500
http://24h.pchome.com.tw/prod/DHAFBJ-19006WW0S

Fujitsu LIFEBOOK UH554-UB523 with 256GB SSD, 4GB DDR3 DRAM for $27980
http://24h.pchome.com.tw/prod/DHAM0C-A900682QZ

Just to name a few...
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby Yang Gui Zi » 14 Apr 2016, 13:44

+1 for the ASUS Zenbook. Been using the UX305F for my work computer. Updated to Win 10 and it's been great. Super light and portable and the battery is great! I don't even plug it in until lunch time. So from 8-12 it's on all the time with email, Line, and several tabs of Chrome always open.
Yang Gui Zi
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

In Taiwan since: 09 Jul 2010

Postby Baas Babelaas » 14 Apr 2016, 13:51

Thanks for that. I'm leaning towards the Asus ZenBook.

I just need to justify the purchase - I have an HP laptop provided by the company, and an Asus netbook, which is a bit slow with an older processor and 2GB RAM. Since I use the HP most of the time I don't use my Asus netbook.

Perhaps I'll hold out until summer for the buy.
Baas Babelaas

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby tango42 » 14 Apr 2016, 14:06

Go Mac, you'll never go back. Nice ones available for 35000.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

Postby Chris » 15 Apr 2016, 11:56

+2 for Asus. Especially if it has an SSD for fast bootup and a 1T HD for storage.

I have had nightmare experiences with Dell and avoid them like the plague.
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Yang Gui Zi » 15 Apr 2016, 14:26

Chris wrote:+2 for Asus. Especially if it has an SSD for fast bootup and a 1T HD for storage.

Forgot to mention mine is SSD, and fan-less. Absolutely silent with no moving parts and boot up is damn near instant!
Yang Gui Zi

In Taiwan since: 09 Jul 2010

Postby hansioux » 15 Apr 2016, 15:20

Chris wrote:+2 for Asus. Especially if it has an SSD for fast bootup and a 1T HD for storage.

I like that one as well... I can put my boot and root partition in the 24G SSD, and monst my home partition on the 1T internal HDD... would be a dream if my laptop is like that....
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby wild west hero » 17 Apr 2016, 09:38

tango42 wrote:Go Mac, you'll never go back. Nice ones available for 35000.

I stopped usng macbook pro and went back to Asus and windows 10
wild west hero
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

In Taiwan since: 01 Jan 2016

Postby Baas Babelaas » 19 Apr 2016, 22:31

Lost my phone on the weekend, so bought a Samsung S7. Will hold out until the summer for the ASUS.
Baas Babelaas

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Technology