Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

help. laptop won't turn off

Moderator: Mick

Re: help. laptop won't turn off

Postby Icon » 27 Apr 2016, 10:27

finley wrote:Did you manage to switch it back on again? Does it work for a few minutes and then fall over? If you noticed it getting hot, it's possible the CPU fan has failed. CPU would overheat and crash. Should be fairly cheap to fix. Biggest expense of repairing a laptop is opening the thing up ...

I don't dare to turn it back up. It was acting funny before, but I blamed the electrical system at home -it crackles when I plug in the computer. So I have taken to charging it at the office. :D

Anyways, I just turne dit on to look something up... and the screen was black, the thing was humming but the lights for the Internet were off. Tried to reset, reboot.. and then thought I could just close it down. Usually, when you close it down, it turns itself off. Well, came bak 2 hours later, it was still on. And hot. Not good. :(
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby jesus80 » 27 Apr 2016, 10:48

Icon wrote:Left it in the bathroom in case in goes boom.

That expression made me laugh a lot! :lol:

Icon, don't make excuses, go to sleep and stop checking Reddit and hairy, furry men pictures :D
jesus80
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby jesus80 » 27 Apr 2016, 10:49

BTW, I haven't read the whole thread, but I'd say that it sounds like a fucked up hard disk more than any other thing. If you have important documents, you can get quotations from data recovery companies. I never had to do it, but I expect it to be expensive :S
jesus80
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby Icon » 27 Apr 2016, 11:05

jesus80 wrote:
Icon wrote:Left it in the bathroom in case in goes boom.

That expression made me laugh a lot! :lol:

Icon, don't make excuses, go to sleep and stop checking Reddit and hairy, furry men pictures :D

Tumblr, dear. Can give you a few links. :howyoudoin:

And more like "ripped Asian guys". :lol:

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby antarcticbeech » 27 Apr 2016, 12:26

Just gonna chime in and say it is sometimes possible to recover files from a computer that won't boot. Ask a tech-minded friend, perhaps? It may not be difficult.
X
antarcticbeech
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

Postby Icon » 27 Apr 2016, 12:36

antarcticbeech wrote:Just gonna chime in and say it is sometimes possible to recover files from a computer that won't boot. Ask a tech-minded friend, perhaps? It may not be difficult.

Don't worry. Computer will be left in capable hands of paid professionals. Taking off the battery was Icon's mix of Great Technical Accomplishment with Mere Luck and Sheer Desperation.

Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby jesus80 » 27 Apr 2016, 12:44

Well, that's true. If you want, I can take a look and try to make a backup before handing it to somebody who charges for that...
jesus80
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby finley » 27 Apr 2016, 15:09

Hah! You're just after a copy of Icon's hairy men collection! :no-no:

And hot. Not good.

Yeah, that's really not good. Data recovery is probably the best you can hope for, but you never know.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
finley
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby Icon » 27 Apr 2016, 15:20

finley wrote:Hah! You're just after a copy of Icon's hairy men collection! :no-no:

And hot. Not good.

Yeah, that's really not good. Data recovery is probably the best you can hope for, but you never know.

What worries me is that an ex sent me an, ehem, sensitive picture, to cheer me up when I was at the hospital. I think I erased it, but I hope I did not put it into the computer... That is the worst of the lot. And he is not hairy. :D But very muscular. :howyoudoin:

I just hope to save my pictures. I have just recently purchased extra memory at the cloud to back up all computer data. I just hadn't been able to do it as the computer did not hold long enough...

Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby finley » 27 Apr 2016, 15:36

Depending on exactly how you view your email, email attachments are cached when you view them, and the cache may or may not be cleaned out after some time interval.

It's unlikely the PC shop will bother to copy the cache onto your backup, but I bet they will have a look just for a laugh.

So, sadly, Icon will have to find a new computer repair shop. :oops:
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
finley

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Technology