Must Have Mac Software

Moderator: Mick

Postby kelake » 28 May 2008, 10:19

amos wrote:A really neat piece of software I'm using at the minute is 'hear'. It's an app that greatly improves audio quality in movies and music throughout all of your OS X applications. You can choose from a variety of options to suit what you're listening to or watching. With music, select folk, pop, rock, jazz etc and movies have options galore as well. Awesome app.

I've tried Hear's predecessor and thought it was effective when using headphones but ultimately it would drive me crazy because I could never stop playing with the controls. For me it was more like a game than a tool.

My 'boss' bought me a copy of Textmate recently and it's slowly becoming my favourite Mac app. It's syntax highlighting, function lookup, and other language-specific features are like magic.
kelake
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

16 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Namahottie » 28 May 2008, 11:28

gary wrote:I predict Leopard or what comes afterwards (forgot the name) will start to build something like this into the OS. It will be far more amazing; it will be unbelievable.

And have I said this enough? A must have Mac book is Mac OS X Tiger: Killer Tips. I haven't heard anyone buy it yet. :)

I'll look for it during the citywide book sale. Hopefully i can find it used and cheap!!! I had to switch back to tiger after putting Avid on my Macbook and realized that Leopard couldn't run it. :fume: :fume: :fume: Leopard is a beautiful thing, but I digress.
@michellemalkin Just so we're perfectly fucking clear here: You're a crazy fucking shitwad. Enjoy your night. Read more at @MayorEmanuel
Namahottie
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Taffy » 28 May 2008, 11:31

kelake wrote:My 'boss' bought me a copy of Textmate recently and it's slowly becoming my favourite Mac app. It's syntax highlighting, function lookup, and other language-specific features are like magic.

Just curious - what did you use before Textmate? I use Smultron at the moment (because it's free and I'm cheap) but I'm wondering about the comparison. I suppose I should just sign up for the free trial. I'm not dissatisfied with Smultron, just wonder if I'm missing a trick.
Taffy
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

102 Recommends(s)
48 Recognized(s)

Postby kelake » 28 May 2008, 14:09

Taffy wrote:
kelake wrote:My 'boss' bought me a copy of Textmate recently and it's slowly becoming my favourite Mac app. It's syntax highlighting, function lookup, and other language-specific features are like magic.

Just curious - what did you use before Textmate? I use Smultron at the moment (because it's free and I'm cheap) but I'm wondering about the comparison. I suppose I should just sign up for the free trial. I'm not dissatisfied with Smultron, just wonder if I'm missing a trick.

I used BBedit for years and have been only recently pushed towards Textmate. I like Coda as well but that requires a different workflow and I don't really have the time for change of that sort.
kelake

16 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Limey » 29 May 2008, 11:21

A little off topic, but still Mac related.

We had a client arrive yesterday with a G5 it had a DVI D (four squares and a slot as opposed to just the slot (which I believe is A (analogue audio)) but next to it a larger DVI port which looked similar to an old serial connection. Any idea what this is?

If it is an other flavour of DVI Mac uses three type of DVI connectors.

Mini DVI on the Macbook
DVI D on the Pro
and the new one, which I can't name.

The presenter had set split screens (which were set up the night before) and without the special DVI connector we could only see the desktop with no dock, he didn't bring a monitor which left us with only a 1024x768 LCD to monitor off. Is there away I can force the dock on to the secondary output so that I can toggle the screen layout and get a useful image?

I hope this makes sense. I should have explained that this was for an A/V presentation running the main screen and foldback with separate feeds.

Cheers Mac dudes.

L.
If A equals success then the formula is: A=X+Y+Z; where X is work, Y is play and Z is keep your mouth shut.

A. Einstein
Forumosan avatar
Limey

Postby greenteapanda » 09 Jun 2008, 17:19

Are you sure that other connector was a special DVI connector? It sounds like it might be an S-Video port, which could be connected directly to a lot of TVs or VCRs if you have an S-video cable lying around.

Picture of an S-video connector:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-video
greenteapanda
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby 5566 » 13 Jun 2008, 02:15

if like me you live in a country where you can't have access to the whole internet or if you care about surfing anonymously then this is for you :

http://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-doc-osx.html.en

it does work with firefox 3 RC. :notworthy:
Forumosan avatar
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

Postby 5566 » 14 Jun 2008, 23:01

Forumosan avatar

Mac Apps a must

Postby amos » 24 Jun 2008, 16:19

Had some time so I thought I'd post my fave mac apps. Big fan of these. Not in order either but simply my must haves. Have a lot more but thought I'd start with my faves.

Hear greatly improves audio quality in movies and music throughout all of your Mac OS X applications. With Hear, music is richer, movie sound and dialog is clearer and games will blow you out of your chair! Awesome app this one and easily a gotta have.

Audio Hijack Pro gives you the freedom to listen to audio when you want and how you want. Record any audio with Audio Hijack Pro - it's the cornerstone of your digital audio experience. Exclusively for Mac OS X. I've recorded many a football game with this gem. Awesome app.

Comic Life lets you create astounding comics, beautiful picture albums, how-tos... and more! The easy-to-use interface integrates seamlessly with your photo collection or iSight. Drag in your pictures, captions, Lettering text ('ka-blam!') and speech balloons and your work is done! Unbelievably fun app that I've used for end of year albums for my kindy students. A blast and another must have

1Password keeps track of all your web passwords, automates sign-in, guards from identity theft, and allows you to stop worrying about your safety while online.

Web Snapper is a beauty. I always hated how a screenshot would never capture the whole page. Here's the answer to this lovely safari add on. Web Snapper lets you capture web pages - exactly as they appear in your browser. You can send them to a file, as images or vector-based, multi-page PDFs. It captures the whole web page - eliminating the need to cut, paste and crop multiple screen-shots when trying to create an image or PDF.

Awaken is brilliant. I love waking up to itunes playlists or making my itunes shut down at a certain time. A ripper.
Forumosan avatar
amos
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 24 Jun 2008, 16:36

I just got Audio Hijack Pro last night after a very kind recommendation. Awesome toy. I was stumped how to use it at first - I;m new to Mac, but by late morning had a nice collection of stuff I'd wanted to put on iPod for ages.

My PC desktop blew it's load for the last time last week leaving me solely reliant on my Mac. I also just had IT put all my work stuff on the Mac and I've vowed no more Windows in my damned life. Will definitely be looking at the rest of this list!

And good to see you're still breathing, Amos!

HG
I'm a wicked young lady, but I've been trying hard lately. Oh fark it! I'm a monster! I admit it!
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Technology