where can I get my iPod repaired?

Moderator: Mick

Where can I get my iPod repaired?

Postby mahala024 » 30 Sep 2004, 08:58

I bought my iPod and Apple Care Plan through the Apple Store before I moved out here in August. I dropped it the other day, and although it still plays, it needs a repair.

So, I tried calling the Apple Care Taiwan number. They couldn't speak English. I tried having a Chinese speaker call, and there was no answer.

I called the US Apple Care number last night and they said that the only way to get it repaired under warranty is to mail it to someone in the US, have that person fill out an online form, and then send the iPod in to Apple.

Then Apple would repair it, send it to the US friend, who could then send it back to me. I could do this, but it seems ridiculously inefficient.

When I asked the operator if there was anywhere in Taiwan to get it repaired (reminding her that Apple products, including my iPod, are assembled in Taiwan) she said there is nowhere certified. If I had it repaired here, then I would give up any and all warantee claims.

So, do any of you know this to be true or false? Has anyone had an iPod (or other Apple product) repaired in Taiwan, or has anyone sent it overseas to be repaired?

Thanks!
mahala024
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby webdoctors » 30 Sep 2004, 10:47

U could fillout the online form from Taiwan, and mail it straight to the factory in U.S. for repair....and ask them if they can mail it back to Taiwan. If they can do that, you are only spending about $500NT in travel costs.

If they refuse, than U will need a friend in the U.S. to resend it back to you, but only another $500NT charge....total cost $1000NT, but in the end you would at least have peace of mind.

Since IPODS are sold here at almost every mp3 store, what do the apple retailers here say? If an IPOD in Taiwan breaks they expect people to send it to the U.S.? seems awfully strange. Although I know some manufacurers expect U to take it to the store you bought it from for warranty service when in Asia....I had a similar post about N. American warranties in Taiwan and had to mail the 2 products back to Canada and than back to Taiwan :(
webdoctors
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Help! My iPod is sick!

Postby Reaperjim » 11 Nov 2005, 15:33

I had a break from the constant use of my iPod and left it in it's box for 3 days. Today, I took it out and the damn thing wouldn't boot up. All I see is the Apple logo and then an icon of a sick ipod and a warning exclamation mark. Does this mean that I have to send it back? Has anyone else had this problem. I am worried because although I have some licensed iTunes songs and audio books, I also have a few unlicensed songs, and if I cant access the iPod to erase them I won't be able to send it back (I am afraid to connect it to my PC which is why I havent tried that already). Does anyone have any experience with this kind of problem?
Madam Speaker said,
Reaperjim
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby irishstu » 11 Nov 2005, 15:35

You probably need to format it.
Hold on and I'll get you more info. (I bet Gary beats me to it :p )
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

59 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

Postby Richardm » 11 Nov 2005, 15:38

There there. There there.
Richardm
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby irishstu » 11 Nov 2005, 15:41

OK, go to:
http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/tutorial/

Try the suggestions for
"Solving Problems" and if necessary "Restoring your iPod" (see bottom right of page).

I recently updated my firmware anyway and wiped all my songs while I was doing it. No biggie. It was good to clean the thing up.

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu

59 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

Postby the chief » 11 Nov 2005, 15:42

Or here.
http://www.geekfishing.net/consumer/gadgets/2005/03/14/ipod_reset.html
Last time I had to do this, we did it on the bar at The Shannon, so it can't be that hard...
"Got to hurry back to my hotel room
Where I got me a date with a pretty little girl from Split"

You're driftin' out of touch, Doc. G_d help us all.

"They wanted Hellboy, they got Hellboy."
-superking

Fully ordained Dudeist Priest, CLDD in good standing, available for weddings, funerals, and league semifinals, PM me.
Forumosan avatar
the chief
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

24 Recommends(s)
73 Recognized(s)

Postby irishstu » 11 Nov 2005, 15:44

I'm pretty sure the sick iPod icon is more serious, but by all means try the reset first.

Edit: more info about the various icons here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93936

and more specific info about the "sad" iPod icon here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61771

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu

59 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

No Luck

Postby Reaperjim » 11 Nov 2005, 22:57

Even after trying everything above I still get the sad logo. My PC won't detect it. It's doesnt do a damn thing when I try to charge it. All that happens is the hard drive keeps stuttering and I see the apple logo then unhappy logo. With the charger I just see a battery logo that is static i.e. no charging animation. This sucks. I am worried because some of my music is unlicensed and I am worried that I will be sued if they check everything on my drive.
Madam Speaker said,
Reaperjim

1 Recognized(s)

Postby gary » 11 Nov 2005, 23:01

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61771

oh no. :( It does indeed sound like an unhappy iPod.

I wonder, was it exposed to a lot of heat or moisture? the storage drives inside are only so durable. :(

If the above link's instructions don't work out, I think the drive feeling kind of down. Maybe it's warranty time.

Damn Toshiba, why can't they make more reliable drives.
Forumosan avatar
gary
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Technology