iPhone App Store (Things you like and things you don't)

Moderator: Mick

Re: iPhone App Store (Things you like and things you don't)

Postby irishmoe » 21 Apr 2011, 23:38

Jaboney wrote:Microsoft's Photosynth is now available free. It's a very cool panoramic program.

Just tried it, yeah you're right it's pretty cool even though I'll never use it for anything practical :)
Copywriting,Web content, Link building, and Chinese to English translation services at Gecko Create

Built my first site Chelsea Dental Clinic
irishmoe
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby Jaboney » 25 Apr 2011, 12:38

Moo Baa La, an interactive card book from Loud Crow is a great little app for the little ones. One of the best I've seen. Wish there were more of it.
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby igorveni » 26 Apr 2011, 15:14

Taffy wrote:
mabagal wrote:I finally got around to porting my notes, pictures, useful PDFs, etc. to Evernote.

I also did the tweaks to make it work with GTD.

Holy shit. This is going to be good. A huge part of my day is coming up with and collating ideas into something that can be built and productized. This is going to be huge for me. Their tagline of "remember everything" definitely seems within reach. The only thing I regret is not doing this earlier.

Evernote is absolutely wonderful. Just really well implemented. I use it together with Things and Dropbox as my productivity hat-trick. :thumbsup:

How do you guys use Evernote? I can't seem to get my head around it. It's just a note taker right?
igorveni
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)

1 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby lostinasia » 26 Apr 2011, 19:24

igorveni wrote:How do you guys use Evernote? I can't seem to get my head around it. It's just a note taker right?

I'm far from a power user; I find it useful, but like you I'm a bit confused by how many people seem to think it's incredibly amazing. Here are the main things I've used it for:

- I have photos of my printer and printer cartridges. Makes buying new ink in the shop a bit easier.
- I have watermarked scans of passport and ID in there - as a backup should they ever get lost. I do worry about how secure this is.
- When I'm looking for a book in a university library, I'll search on my computer, find the reference, and clip it to Evernote: then when I'm in the library I've got the call number on my cell phone.

That's about it really. It's good but not earth-shattering, but then again I'm in more of an academic than a corporate environment. That makes a big difference for what you want in a device.

I suspect I use other apps when other people use Evernote. I type quick notes in the iPhone Notes app; I put groceries and shopping in a To Do app; recipes are in a cooking app; photos are synced directly with my computer. I gather all of those things can be done through Evernote.
Forumosan avatar
lostinasia
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

64 Recommends(s)
103 Recognized(s)

Postby mabagal » 26 Apr 2011, 20:21

One of the main things on Evernote that has made it useful for me is tagging and location to go along with the notes and pictures. Also, pictures and PDFs get automatically OCRed in the cloud and become searchable, so using it to store business cards or whiteboard scribblings, menus, documents, pictures of the storefronts is another good use case. It also allows collab, which makes it sort of like the Dropbox for thoughts and memories.

If I have any thought that pops up it goes in Evernote and gets tagged. If I take a notable picture, it goes in and gets a few words of description. If I happen upon a store, restaurant or any anything notable, it goes in. I keep photos of my passport and IDs in there just in case.

Now I can search for something that I remembered seeing or thinking a while back by keyword, location (using a map), when, or a combo of parameters. This saves having to remember anything and lets me be more comfortable context switching a lot.

I also do things like write spec snippets, put blog post drafts in there to index and find later.

There's really too many uses to list... it's in many ways a Swiss army knife. I just realized the auto OCR and search feature might be useful for anyone who likes to keep receipts for the lottery, for example.
mabagal
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

11 Recommends(s)
26 Recognized(s)

Postby MoTi » 28 Apr 2011, 00:29

Have someone mentioned QIK here before ?

This app enables video telephonie between ios and Andriod cellphones/netbook/pads.
According to App Store free just this week ...
MoTi

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby mabagal » 28 Apr 2011, 11:46

Replaced my white boarding app from Adobe Ideas to Jot! It does drawing + text, does pinch zooming, lets you move/copy/paste all the vectors, and lets you have a multiple-user shared whiteboard with multiple people in the same room or across the world, lets you share the sketches via email or to Dropbox via the photo roll.

With multitasking, was able to do a Skype call with a shared whiteboard from iPad to iPad this way. The key thing to getting fast at it is simply remembering the gestures: short tap, double tap, press and hold, two-finger tap. After that short 30 second learning curve, it's better than a real whiteboard.
mabagal

11 Recommends(s)
26 Recognized(s)

Postby MoTi » 03 May 2011, 22:31

SongExporter,

enables to listen music on ANY PC without itunes connection and it's wireless too.
NO airbox is needed.
I don't know if that is new stuff or not, but in my opinion that got potencial to be a killer application.
And who knows maybe this will extend to picture and video-files as well in the future.
MoTi

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Jaboney » 03 Jun 2011, 12:34

I may have (but don't think so) missed an earlier post that would address. If so, sorry.

Just got an iPad 2. Already making good use of it in private classes. Now, I'm looking for a note taking program that will:
1. Allow for handwritten notes, typed notes, sketches
2. Record audio
3. Sync notes to audio (meaning, you tap a word, the app keys up the audio recorded at the time you made that note)
4. Easily exported (so I can share the info with students or work on it in another format)

There's a list of a few seemingly decent apps here. And here is a review that pretty much sums up what's wrong with the most prominent of them.

SoundNote, Notability, AudioNote seem to be not quite there, but maybe the best options at the moment.
NotesPlus, Underscore Notify, Penultimate look better, but lack audio.

Anyone found a better solution?
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby Jaboney » 03 Jun 2011, 17:47

One more thing: I'm loving Flipboard. Best reads available?

Another thing: is it crazy to think that an online community/discussion forum crafted for Flipboard-style readability would be the coolest thing since The Oregon Trail on the //e? Beats the stuffing out of linear threads.
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Technology