HAM radio gear

Moderator: Mick

HAM radio gear

Postby kjmillig » 19 May 2009, 18:03

Looking for a HAM radio shop in Tainan, Kaohsiung, or Taichung, in that order of preference.
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race [except in Taiwan]. ~paraphrased from H.G. Wells
Forumosan avatar
kjmillig
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

ORIGINAL POSTER
5 Recognized(s)

Re: HAM radio gear

Postby PoxX » 21 May 2009, 12:10

Hello.

I am myself looking for Amateur radio shops. Found a couple in Taipei by accident when I entered a small electronics "mall" in the basement level close to Jin-Hua electronics shop (http://www.jin-hua.com.tw/), close to the Zhongxiao Xinsheng station. But they mainly sell cheap Taiwanese handheld radios. Haven't found a single hf radio yet.

I searched the almighty interbutts a while back, and found one good shop that seems to be in Taichung.
http://www.rimtai.com/

The address according to the page is:
航釱股份有限公司 - GPS 設備生產製造
台中市大里市西榮路262-6號
TEL:04-2487-6050

Or you could search for some gear on this page.
Seems to be a Taiwanese "ebay" of some sort. Found some amateur radio gear there too.
http://www.ruten.com.tw/

I'll make a post here if I find some other shops.

73 DE SA3AER
PoxX
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby section61 » 23 May 2009, 00:12

Yeah, I accidentally rode pass this shop and they have good radio but I would have to dig out the address for you.

It's in Taichung by the way.
section61
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby dl7und » 09 Jun 2009, 09:36

Rimtai should be OK, though it is a bit hard to find if they still reside at the same place they were eight years ago... There may be one or two left in the electronics area near the Taizhong train station. After you pass that canal, coming from the station on Minzu Rd, there should be one in a basement on the right. Can't remember the name, but they were real hams, not just selling stuff, so they may still be there. The others (one on the other side of the road, one in the lane on the right a few metres on) may be gone by now.

You can still find some equipment in the Gaoxiong electronics street (Changming st.), but these days it's usually just VHF/UHF handhelds and maybe the one or other (VHF/UHF of course) car transceiver. Though, thinking about it, I may never have seen an HF transceiver in a shop in Taiwan, not even when amateur radio (or its equipment) was pretty popular...
dl7und
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

Postby picachu » 29 Apr 2012, 19:34

PoxX wrote:Hello.

I am myself looking for Amateur radio shops. Found a couple in Taipei by accident when I entered a small electronics "mall" in the basement level close to Jin-Hua electronics shop (http://www.jin-hua.com.tw/), close to the Zhongxiao Xinsheng station. But they mainly sell cheap Taiwanese handheld radios. Haven't found a single hf radio yet.

I searched the almighty interbutts a while back, and found one good shop that seems to be in Taichung.
http://www.rimtai.com/

The address according to the page is:
航釱股份有限公司 - GPS 設備生產製造
台中市大里市西榮路262-6號
TEL:04-2487-6050

Or you could search for some gear on this page.
Seems to be a Taiwanese "ebay" of some sort. Found some amateur radio gear there too.
http://www.ruten.com.tw/

I'll make a post here if I find some other shops.

73 DE SA3AER
I have been in taiwan for few years and met some guys there in amateur radio world? if you wish to try look for his call sign as BV-6-EK or called holy tsai, most of taxi drivers know him well i met him personally and he is located in Tainan, he also sell some equipments i just hope he still got his store and stocks, he is really a hardcore ham in that area, he might still remember me thru a name of picachu from kangshan, Kaoshiung (Gaoxiong) we've met in vhf band 144.760 together with his friends and clans, but it was just a while and only i remember is his name he is a nice guy in Tainan. though I am thousands of miles away from taiwan i still missed the times I was there.
picachu

In Taiwan since: 0- 0-1995

Postby finley » 29 Apr 2012, 22:12

Never been into Ham radio, but interested to come across this thread. What are the licensing requirements and tx rules like in Taiwan?
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

875 Recommends(s)
662 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan_Student » 30 Apr 2012, 01:14

finley wrote:Never been into Ham radio, but interested to come across this thread. What are the licensing requirements and tx rules like in Taiwan?

It is truly unique and makes no sense.....

Check out DL7UND's blog. He's like 3 of 7 white, non Japanese Hams. Japanese have a bit of an advantage over others because of the similliarites between Chinese and Japanese. A few things you should know....

Anyone who has an ARC can take the test. The test is in CHINESE. I mean really in CHINESE. NO international symbols such as Omega, mf for micro-farad.
Every thing is spelled out! So if you want to take the test.. you have to learn how to read "OHMU" in Chinese...

http://dl7und.net/eng/Articles/Amateur- ... -in-Taiwan

After reading his blog and talking to the man himself, you'll find that most Ham Radio Activity is done on SKYPE. In the Kaohsiung area 2 meters, the main congregating band for most of the Ham Radio World is useless. Why.. they are used by truckers.... taxi drivers and all that.

The sad thing is.. All these local yokels use the band for any purpose. But if a foreigner keys up, he is asked to stop and get a license. He is located in Kaohsiung. He'd like more people to be interested in Ham Radio. He's hoping to generate enough interest and perhaps.. we can take back the bands...
My Chinese is really not good enough to get the license. By the way.. There are no reciprocal permits between the US and Taiwan. You can get a permit but that just lets you talk on someone else's radio with them operating the buttons.
Taiwan_Student
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)

25 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Technology