Amazon Kindle in Taiwan

Moderators: Mick, Nam

Re: Amazon Kindle in Taiwan

Postby ncaraway » 09 Apr 2012, 12:58

I'm strongly considering a Kindle to replace my netbook which I use for reading ebooks, checking email (Gmail), and surfing the web. Unless I've misunderstood, it seems that the 3G option is available in Taiwan and is included. Sure beats buying an aircard (for cost) or using wifi (for availability and security). In particular, I've been leaning toward the Kindle Keyboard 3G since the Fire doesn't appear to be available in Taiwan yet. Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences they'd care to share to inform my decision? Many thanks!
ncaraway
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 07 Jun 2010, 10:02
Location: Tainan
1 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Amazon Kindle in Taiwan

Postby cranky laowai » 09 Apr 2012, 13:18

Although the free 3G that Amazon provides for Kindles in Taiwan is wonderful to have, Kindles -- at least those prior to Fire, which I'm not sure about -- are far from optimal devices for e-mail and Web surfing. Very nice e-readers they are, though.

Fires are much heavier than earlier Kindles and have a relatively poor battery life. They're also probably relatively expensive in Taiwan, while a pad of some type might be relatively inexpensive and be about the same weight. One of the techier folk here probably has the figures.
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
 
Posts: 4691
Joined: 29 Jan 2001, 17:01
Location: Banqiao
35 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Amazon Kindle in Taiwan

Postby Taiwan_Student » 09 Apr 2012, 13:43

ncaraway wrote:I'm strongly considering a Kindle to replace my netbook which I use for reading ebooks, checking email (Gmail), and surfing the web. Unless I've misunderstood, it seems that the 3G option is available in Taiwan and is included. Sure beats buying an aircard (for cost) or using wifi (for availability and security). In particular, I've been leaning toward the Kindle Keyboard 3G since the Fire doesn't appear to be available in Taiwan yet. Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences they'd care to share to inform my decision? Many thanks!


Don't do it... It's not all that good of web reader! At least in the Kindle Touch, the screen was just too hard to read!
Plus the issue of living abroad and being barred from borrowing library books, having a different price tier has totally turned me off. Until I get a US checking account, and an VPN. I was really happy before they caught me..

Anyway... You really need two devices, I'm sorry to say. How about an E-PC for doing your general e-mail and computing and an E-INK READER. GO with a KINDLE if you have access to a US billing account and a VPN. I was enjoying the half price book sales... It also it totally compatible with AUDIBLE AUDIO BOOKS. You can graphically see which chapter you are on. If you don't have a US presence, go with a locally made reader. They support the widely used EPUB format and the Taipei Library has a great number of books available. See my other post.

ABOVE ALL, Get an E-Ink reader for you reading needs. I've tried all types of screen and with this sun we have in Taiwan, it practically obliterates anything an LCD screen can give you. The E-ink made reading in direct sun a great experience. My E-ink reader and my E-PC fit in one small computer bag or back pack.
Taiwan_Student
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)
 
Posts: 1472
Joined: 17 May 2001, 16:01
Location: Borg
19 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Amazon Kindle in Taiwan

Postby ncaraway » 09 Apr 2012, 14:06

Taiwan_Student wrote:Don't do it... It's not all that good of web reader! At least in the Kindle Touch, the screen was just too hard to read!
Plus the issue of living abroad and being barred from borrowing library books, having a different price tier has totally turned me off. Until I get a US checking account, and an VPN. I was really happy before they caught me..

Anyway... You really need two devices, I'm sorry to say. How about an E-PC for doing your general e-mail and computing and an E-INK READER. GO with a KINDLE if you have access to a US billing account and a VPN. I was enjoying the half price book sales... It also it totally compatible with AUDIBLE AUDIO BOOKS. You can graphically see which chapter you are on. If you don't have a US presence, go with a locally made reader. They support the widely used EPUB format and the Taipei Library has a great number of books available. See my other post.

ABOVE ALL, Get an E-Ink reader for you reading needs. I've tried all types of screen and with this sun we have in Taiwan, it practically obliterates anything an LCD screen can give you. The E-ink made reading in direct sun a great experience. My E-ink reader and my E-PC fit in one small computer bag or back pack.


I've been using Kindle software on my netbook (Windows) and I like it. I still have an account at my US library so I'm able to borrow Kindle books for free (at least until 2013, when I won't be able to renew the account in person). I've been debating getting the Amazon Prime account but that would require a VPN, I think.

Web browsing would be a nice plus but it's not a deal-killer. I'm mainly looking for something that will let me pass the time while on transit (reading/email) without having to lug my heavy netbook or multiple devices.

I do have US billing accounts but not a VPN (yet).

I will check out the other info you referenced. Thank you.
ncaraway
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 07 Jun 2010, 10:02
Location: Tainan
1 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Amazon Kindle in Taiwan

Postby Taiwan_Student » 09 Apr 2012, 14:39

ncaraway wrote:
I've been using Kindle software on my netbook (Windows) and I like it. I still have an account at my US library so I'm able to borrow Kindle books for free (at least until 2013, when I won't be able to renew the account in person). I've been debating getting the Amazon Prime account but that would require a VPN, I think.

Web browsing would be a nice plus but it's not a deal-killer. I'm mainly looking for something that will let me pass the time while on transit (reading/email) without having to lug my heavy netbook or multiple devices.

I do have US billing accounts but not a VPN (yet).

I will check out the other info you referenced. Thank you.


Great.. Just be sure that the Kindle You Choose is E-ink. The Kindle Fire is not. Color ink displays are not ready for prime time.
I've used a larger netbook and it was a curse to carry. The EEE-PC is small and easy to carry but a little slow. It plays video files and web browsing well enough to be connected to an LCD projector for class room presentations and a monitor for home use.
My computer fits in the inside pocket of my bag and a just slip my Kindle into the outside pocket. They're such a pleasure to carry. Especially when using a motor cycle as primary transportation.
My LOVE AFFAIR TURNED into a HATE AFFAIR after AMAZON dected that I using the special offers that were displayed on my Kindle and billing it to my foreign credit card. Busted for spending money, imagine that..... The deregiserted my kindle from the US access.
Taiwan_Student
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)
 
Posts: 1472
Joined: 17 May 2001, 16:01
Location: Borg
19 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Amazon Kindle in Taiwan

Postby lostinasia » 09 Apr 2012, 17:32

Taiwan_Student wrote:My LOVE AFFAIR TURNED into a HATE AFFAIR after AMAZON dected that I using the special offers that were displayed on my Kindle and billing it to my foreign credit card. Busted for spending money, imagine that..... The deregiserted my kindle from the US access.

Any idea what actually gave you away? I'm usually using a Canadian account for my Kindle, but sometimes switching over to the United States or even East Asia, because different books are available (although this seems less of an issue than it used to be). I haven't had any troubles with that, but I don't want any trouble either.
Forumosan avatar
lostinasia
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)
 
Posts: 1585
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 10:15
Location: Danshui. Not Tamsui. Never Tamsui.
30 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Amazon Kindle in Taiwan

Postby Taiwan_Student » 09 Apr 2012, 18:30

lostinasia wrote:
Taiwan_Student wrote:My LOVE AFFAIR TURNED into a HATE AFFAIR after AMAZON dected that I using the special offers that were displayed on my Kindle and billing it to my foreign credit card. Busted for spending money, imagine that..... The deregiserted my kindle from the US access.

Any idea what actually gave you away? I'm usually using a Canadian account for my Kindle, but sometimes switching over to the United States or even East Asia, because different books are available (although this seems less of an issue than it used to be). I haven't had any troubles with that, but I don't want any trouble either.


I'm not exactly sure... It worked for almost six months. I was open and upfront upon purchasing. Told them that it will be sent to my dad's house. He will send it to me. I asked them if I can get books overseas. They said "sure".

They told me that I would not be able to use special orders. I thought it was just because it was for services that you can only get in America. But I saw some great book sales. And I bought them. No problem.
I was "reading" a very good audio book that I bought from Amazon's Audibles for about three weeks and then I went to my local library to borrow a book. I passed the local check in process then was handing off to Amazon to complete the check out process. There my bliss and happiness ended. It said I had no media to check out.
I got on the horn and talked to them .. they told me I tried to access a book from overseas. ..
Read the rest of my rant in three other places here. ... I really was happy and on cloud nine. I was giving them more money than ever before..
The customer service reps are so patronizing.. Oh we'd like to help you... but we can't. I did refer them to the Taipei library web page and they were impressed about all the books that were available and not a kindle edition among them... And I told them that I would reluctantly sell my reader... I think the only way I can get back to the states in Amazon is to open a checking account at my US bank. I have no US income so I can't get a credit card..
Plus I need a US VPN..
I really would like to know what ratted me out...
Taiwan_Student
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)
 
Posts: 1472
Joined: 17 May 2001, 16:01
Location: Borg
19 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Amazon Kindle in Taiwan

Postby Taiwan_Student » 09 Apr 2012, 18:30

lostinasia wrote:
Taiwan_Student wrote:My LOVE AFFAIR TURNED into a HATE AFFAIR after AMAZON dected that I using the special offers that were displayed on my Kindle and billing it to my foreign credit card. Busted for spending money, imagine that..... The deregiserted my kindle from the US access.

Any idea what actually gave you away? I'm usually using a Canadian account for my Kindle, but sometimes switching over to the United States or even East Asia, because different books are available (although this seems less of an issue than it used to be). I haven't had any troubles with that, but I don't want any trouble either.

{EDIT} I did not read your post carefully. You are a Canadian. I'm a US citizen and have been using my home town library, and the special US offers. Do your Canadian Libraries offer kindle book to check out? Are you allowed to buy the special add supported Kindle for a lower price? normal full price book purchase work fine anywhere.I still have my audibles membership{edit}

I'm not exactly sure... It worked for almost six months. I was open and upfront upon purchasing. Told them that it will be sent to my dad's house. He will send it to me. I asked them if I can get books overseas. They said "sure".

They told me that I would not be able to use special orders. I thought it was just because it was for services that you can only get in America. But I saw some great book sales. And I bought them. No problem.
I was "reading" a very good audio book that I bought from Amazon's Audibles for about three weeks and then I went to my home town US library to borrow a book. I passed the local check in process then was handing off to Amazon to complete the check out process. There my bliss and happiness ended. It said I had no media to check out.
I got on the horn and talked to them .. they told me I tried to access a book from overseas. ..
Read the rest of my rant in three other places here. ... I really was happy and on cloud nine. I was giving them more money than ever before..
The customer service reps are so patronizing.. Oh we'd like to help you... but we can't. I did refer them to the Taipei library web page and they were impressed about all the books that were available and not a kindle edition among them... And I told them that I would reluctantly sell my reader... I think the only way I can get back to the states in Amazon is to open a checking account at my US bank. I have no US income so I can't get a credit card..
Plus I need a US VPN..
I really would like to know what ratted me out...
Taiwan_Student
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)
 
Posts: 1472
Joined: 17 May 2001, 16:01
Location: Borg
19 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Amazon Kindle in Taiwan

Postby PapaAzucar » 21 Apr 2012, 03:40

I didn't realize that the Kindle Touch just started shipping to UK, Germany and France.
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2012/04/20/kindle-touch-now-shipping-to-uk-germany-france/
PapaAzucar
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 294
Joined: 12 Dec 2011, 08:54
1 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Amazon Kindle in Taiwan

Postby JamescCamp » 14 Oct 2012, 21:05

Now, I haven't read through the whole thread, but its seems Kindles (at least basic Kindles) are now available in Taiwan? That's good.

What about the Kindle app? Is that easily downloaded for people with Taiwanese iPhones or Android devices? I'm wondering because I recently bought a Fire HD in the States, thinking I'd scored a good deal on it, only to find out you can't do anything on it outside of the U.S. But I realize those are different from normal Kindles.
Forumosan avatar
JamescCamp
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo
 
Posts: 35
Joined: 07 Sep 2012, 22:25

6000

PreviousNext




 
 
 x

Return to Technology



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 3 visitors

Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul -- GENERAL DOUGLAS MACARTHUR