Amazon Kindle in Taiwan

Moderator: Mick

Re: Amazon Kindle in Taiwan

Postby Taiwan_Student » 15 Nov 2011, 22:59

Wow, thanks for the quick reply...

It's a trade off. Here is my problem. I have a lot of down time or waiting time where I'm stuck in strong sunlight. I can't even view the picture on my cell phone well. This black and white e-ink thing seems like the perfect solution.

How about the Kindle with the color screen. Incedently I can't find any information on the website The black and white version talks about being able to read in bright sunlight. There is no mention at all about sun, daylight or outdoors on the color Kindle.

I'm curious about e-pub. It seems that my library has almost an equal amount of e-pub to kindle books, But I think Kindle is pulling ahead.
Any other options that let me read the screen in bright light. Thanks.
Taiwan_Student
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)

25 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby engerim » 16 Nov 2011, 00:18

epub: convert by software (unless it has copy protection). most popular software is called 'calibre' (check Google)
kindle color: eink color kindle doesn't exist yet. so if its color now then its lcd which means no good in the sun
Forumosan avatar
engerim
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

8 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan_Student » 17 Nov 2011, 14:07

Double Post.. Please skip to next post sorry... Mod's please delete this one.
Taiwan_Student

25 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan_Student » 17 Nov 2011, 14:08

I so want to push the buy button... The new Kindle Touch is $109. But.... ach.....

I'm worried about damage. I have kids that love cell phones and devices no matter where I hide them, they can find them...
I can purchase an all risk 2 year warranty from square trade for 24.99. This plan includes shipping from an US address and will cover things like dropping and other accidents.

So.. If I have it sent right to my home here in Taiwan, I will just get the normal 1 year warranty. I think I read Amazon covers shipping for warranty covered items, no? It will not cover dropping or other kid damage.

Option 2. Have it sent to a US address with warranty. Have Dad repackage it and ship it off to me.
1. Could I pass it off as a "forgotten" personal electronics device? What duty would I have to pay. For returns and repairs, I'd have to send it back to Dad or an other US address. When the device comes back, would I have to pay duty again?
One oh Nine seems cheap enough and worth the risk... But...
Help me out. My cart is full. Which address should I choose...
Like the ICRT commercial about the Taiwan Facebook Contest...(Help me grow some Grapes)- so cute .. "Help me choose an address... Help me choose an address. help me choose an address...." Here or there.

And if I import it from Dad... what's the best way of getting it to me.. Any hints for getting it through customs.
Taiwan_Student

25 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby jlick » 17 Nov 2011, 14:17

Touch and Fire are still only available to buy for US customers, so if you want to buy now, you'll have to ship to a US address. I'm hoping that once they get through their pre-order backlog that they'll make it available for International customers. That should be in a little over a week for the Touch if the current shipping estimates are accurate.
SUBWAY™ eat fresh! Free wireless Internet access at both Jimmy's Sandwich Company locations:
SUBWAY™ Qingcheng Restaurant: Urban One 1F #1 Qingcheng Street, Taipei. (Nanjing East Road MRT station)
SUBWAY™ Minquan Jilin Restaurant: #74, Section 2, Minquan East Road, Taipei.
Forumosan avatar
jlick
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

9 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan_Student » 17 Nov 2011, 14:27

jlick wrote:Touch and Fire are still only available to buy for US customers, so if you want to buy now, you'll have to ship to a US address. I'm hoping that once they get through their pre-order backlog that they'll make it available for International customers. That should be in a little over a week for the Touch if the current shipping estimates are accurate.

Strange, it did not stop me... I did not choose the address yet, but it did ask me what country I would like to use it in. I chose Taiwan. It just gave me rules and conditions... I will continue to the Check out screen.
So, say I send to my US address. ...

My Dad will send it over to me. What special duties would I expect? Would the wifi aspect be a problem? Could I repackage it as a "used" personal device to save on duty fees?
What's the best way. Thanks...

EDIT: IT LET'S ME GET TO THE CREDIT CARD PAYMENT SCREEN WITH MY TAIWAN ADDRESS. One more click and I would assume that I would have bought it. I tried buying other things and it would stop me at the shipping address selection stage. SO what to do...
Taiwan_Student

25 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby jlick » 17 Nov 2011, 14:43

That's strange. When I try to select a Taiwan shipping address for Kindle Touch it will give me an error that it "is not currently available to ship to the selected non-US address" and sends me to an international Kindle page which only offers regular Kindle or Kindle Keyboard.

Don't worry about the import stuff. For just one at a time you will at most have to fill out a form saying it's for personal use, and if there is any import duty it's usually just 5% so no big deal.
SUBWAY™ eat fresh! Free wireless Internet access at both Jimmy's Sandwich Company locations:
SUBWAY™ Qingcheng Restaurant: Urban One 1F #1 Qingcheng Street, Taipei. (Nanjing East Road MRT station)
SUBWAY™ Minquan Jilin Restaurant: #74, Section 2, Minquan East Road, Taipei.
Forumosan avatar
jlick

9 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan_Student » 17 Nov 2011, 15:32

jlick wrote:That's strange. When I try to select a Taiwan shipping address for Kindle Touch it will give me an error that it "is not currently available to ship to the selected non-US address" and sends me to an international Kindle page which only offers regular Kindle or Kindle Keyboard.

Don't worry about the import stuff. For just one at a time you will at most have to fill out a form saying it's for personal use, and if there is any import duty it's usually just 5% so no big deal.

Yeah.. it even told me it would be shipped via international courier and would take two to four days..
Don't Jinx Me.... so... what of it..... 109+ 26.99 for peace of mind? (House cat dropped hers)
Would the shipping back and forth out way the savings? What would you do..?

If my Dad sends it to me, I guess I could insure it for real value and pay the 5% or so. How much would you shipping be? For USPS or any other economical method? I think you have done something like this before.. That why I'm asking... Thanks.

F
Taiwan_Student

25 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby scomargo » 17 Nov 2011, 15:59

Taiwan_Student wrote:I so want to push the buy button... The new Kindle Touch is $109.

Are you sure you have the right model? The only way I can think of a $109 price tag is the new Kindle (basic) at $79 plus $30 for the one with no advertisements (without special offers). I think the Touch would be either $99 or $139, depending on whether you want ads or not.

I think the reason why you're able to ship it to Taiwan is because you're not selecting the Kindle Touch.
Forumosan avatar
scomargo
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

17 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan_Student » 17 Nov 2011, 18:25

scomargo wrote:
Taiwan_Student wrote:I so want to push the buy button... The new Kindle Touch is $109.

Are you sure you have the right model? The only way I can think of a $109 price tag is the new Kindle (basic) at $79 plus $30 for the one with no advertisements (without special offers). I think the Touch would be either $99 or $139, depending on whether you want ads or not.

I think the reason why you're able to ship it to Taiwan is because you're not selecting the Kindle Touch.

You are right!!!... There is some kind of switching going on. But I have to wait until I get some quiet time to check this out. I may be prevented from buying it with a Taiwan billing address. I like the touch screen unless you can convince me that the controller is easy to use. Thanks a lot for saving me from a possible disappointing surprise.
Taiwan_Student

25 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Technology