Amazon Kindle in Taiwan

Moderator: Mick

Re: Amazon Kindle in Taiwan

Postby Mucha Man » 19 Nov 2011, 16:06

lostinasia wrote:
Muzha Man wrote:Btw, have other people noticed that book prices can vary sometimes from day to day? … Anyway, I'm going to keep my eyes open for my sales like this.

Do you know any good resources for finding out about these kinds of sales?

No, unfortunately.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

802 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan_Student » 19 Nov 2011, 19:57

plasmatron wrote:I've got a 'no-ads' Touch 3G arriving at a US delivery address December 2 which will then be forwarded to me here in TW. My chief concern is whether the work around for those who want Amazon US Kindle content without a US credit card still works. I heard there is or at least was a gift card work around where you could use a disposable email address and a non US CC to buy yourself Amazon gift certificates to create and top up a crafty US Amazon account and that as long as you stay within your account balance, Amazon in none the wiser due in part to the global 3G. Evidently prices and range of books available is considerably better via Amazon US.

Does anyone use this work around for Amazon? I use a similar work around to get US iTunes content, so hopefully it'll work with Amazon too.

Yeah, I did not think about that. I only have a Taiwanese credit card. I better get my credit union to get me an American secured Card or something...
How many times do you hit regional problems for mainstream books though? I plan on using my US Public Library for most of my reading but... there are some interesting titles I may want to buy.

How often is this a problem? What kind of books? What are the work arounds short of getting a US credit card. How about a US bank account number?
Taiwan_Student
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)

25 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby jlick » 21 Nov 2011, 02:40

Taiwan_Student wrote:I better get my credit union to get me an American secured Card or something...

In the US your ATM card usually doubles as a check card which works exactly the same as a credit card in most cases.
SUBWAY™ eat fresh! Free wireless Internet access at both Jimmy's Sandwich Company locations:
SUBWAY™ Qingcheng Restaurant: Urban One 1F #1 Qingcheng Street, Taipei. (Nanjing East Road MRT station)
SUBWAY™ Minquan Jilin Restaurant: #74, Section 2, Minquan East Road, Taipei.
Forumosan avatar
jlick
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

9 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan_Student » 21 Nov 2011, 18:46

jlick wrote:
Taiwan_Student wrote:I better get my credit union to get me an American secured Card or something...

In the US your ATM card usually doubles as a check card which works exactly the same as a credit card in most cases.

Wow, really? Great! I'll just ask them for a replacement ATM card. No need too apply for credit.

So,the Check card would look like a Master Card or something like that, I can use that to activate me as a US customer with Amazon. Should I trust that though? On line That is? I would like to put a spending limit on it. That there account is where I stashed what little savings I have in the states... I'll talk to them. Thanks for the tip.
Taiwan_Student

25 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 24 Nov 2011, 22:01

Muzha Man wrote:
lostinasia wrote:
Muzha Man wrote:Btw, have other people noticed that book prices can vary sometimes from day to day? … Anyway, I'm going to keep my eyes open for my sales like this.

Do you know any good resources for finding out about these kinds of sales?

No, unfortunately.

Okay, found it. The Daily Deal:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?i ... 1000677541

You can also get a twitter update:

http://twitter.com/#!/amazonkindle
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

802 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 28 Nov 2011, 22:16

I'm in the market for a 2nd hand kindle wifi/3G version having busted my own recently. So anybody who has upgraded or have one lying around not doing much let me know how much you would like for it, thanks.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1718 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 28 Nov 2011, 22:57

Btw, just saw this:

Today only, save up to 75% off more than 900 Kindle books.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/r ... 1000677541

Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

802 Recognized(s)

Postby EddieG » 28 Nov 2011, 23:51

Muzha Man wrote:Btw, just saw this:

Nothing interesting at all :( I think that bland books have a harder time than ever in the digital era.
-
EddieG
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

4 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 28 Nov 2011, 23:57

EddieG wrote:
Muzha Man wrote:Btw, just saw this:

Nothing interesting at all :( I think that bland books have a harder time than ever in the digital era.

Yeah, I looked through a bunch and wasn't too thrilled either.

But there are a few I might buy. $.99. It's free basically.

Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

802 Recognized(s)

Postby EddieG » 29 Nov 2011, 16:37

Muzha Man wrote: $.99. It's free basically.
There's always the alternative cost of the time spent. I have better things to do than read books that are meh.
-
EddieG

4 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Technology