Amazon Kindle in Taiwan

Moderator: Mick

Re: Amazon Kindle in Taiwan

Postby Taiwan_Student » 01 Dec 2011, 11:34

MY Kindle is on its Way!!! But, it is being shipped regular, non insured mail along with a traditional Book. My Dad declared on the customs from "Kindle and Book".

He kept the customs declaration number just in case I may need it, but there was no registration nor insurance? Would they stop it? I've had other gizmos and software sent to me with no problem but I think they are on the look out for kindles. Is there anything I should do? How long would they take before they contact me? Do you think it would just slip through? Is there a way I could "head the package off at the pass" it should hit Taiwan in a week.
Taiwan_Student
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

22 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan_Student » 07 Dec 2011, 01:52

It Came. It Came! Yes, I am a happy camper. My library books appeared after i registgered it and so did the AUdible Audio book a bought (for free) after I really long download period.

My dad shipped it to me along with a hardcover book. The customs declaration said "Book and Kindle" on it. It was valued at 100. The package was not stopped at all. The Mail Man just placed it on my motorcycle's seat in the garage and drove on. Amazon did a good job of packing their books and Kindle with heavy cardboard. My Dad put them into a padded envelope.

Wow, I've never seen an E-ink display before. I was trying to peel off the "sticker" from the front of the kindle. There was nothing on it that said it was a sticker but it sure looked like is was printed material stuck to the screen. Out of desparation, I just plugged it in to the USB port to charge it while I get on Amazon to ask you Geniuses how to get this sticker off. After I plugged it in, the display came alive. It's pretty neat. The text to speech is not bad either. Now I have to learn if I can import stuff via the usb cable and not be stuck to wifi.

I'm happy at the moment. I bought the accident insurance too.
Taiwan_Student

22 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby cfimages » 07 Dec 2011, 08:22

My Kindle made it to Taiwan on Sunday night but so far hasn't made it to me. DHL are frickin useless and don't seem to be want to reply to my query about where it is. :fume:
Forumosan avatar
cfimages
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

182 Recommends(s)
183 Recognized(s)

Postby engerim » 07 Dec 2011, 15:54

cfimages wrote:My Kindle made it to Taiwan on Sunday night but so far hasn't made it to me. DHL are frickin useless and don't seem to be want to reply to my query about where it is. :fume:

DHL not UPS? Did you use some reshipping service? I only got mine out of customs a year back or so when sending a Power of Attorney letter to UPS for some NCC (wireless radio compliance) stuff.
Forumosan avatar
engerim

8 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby cfimages » 07 Dec 2011, 17:36

It was direct from Amazon, DHL must be their preferred shipper now.

They finally called me today after and asked me to resend the POA form. According to the tracking though it's still delayed.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages

182 Recommends(s)
183 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan_Student » 07 Dec 2011, 20:43

Heads UP, kindle Touch Doesn't do Landscape! I was planning on using it for PDF's of Chinese Children's books from the Over Seas Chinese learning Center. I have had a chance to view PDF's on my Kinde yet.
Other than lack of Landscape, the kindle is working out ok.

Surprisingly the Text to speech is very good. I'm sure the lack of landscape could be fixed by a flash rom update in the future.
Taiwan_Student

22 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby Bigbird » 08 Dec 2011, 10:53

Our Kindles finally arrived, the import agent worked. :bravo:

Kindle support said they would follow-up, but they never did. I did however go on to Amazon chat and asked the support agent to thank the people there. So I'm not bothered by that in the least! :notworthy:

On a side note, if I had known then what I know now when I ordered I would have gone with the Nook Simple Touch. Better specs (capacity, battery-life, weight is the same, faster page turn speed), $99 price tag, and they're .epub capable which is what will be available in libraries. :cool: IMHO if you have someone in the USA to send it to who it will post it on to you, this is the way to go!

But my wife and I are loving our Kindles and are reading a lot more. If you don't want to go through the issue of waiting for them to come from the states there are people selling them on http://search.ruten.com.tw/search/s000. ... le&t=0&p=2, don't take my word as guarantee that everything on there is real, it's an auction website. :wink:
Bigbird
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

1 Recommends(s)

Postby cfimages » 13 Dec 2011, 10:29

Forgot to update this to say mine finally arrived last Thursday. Loving it so far.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages

182 Recommends(s)
183 Recognized(s)

Postby Satellite TV » 13 Dec 2011, 10:52

cfimages wrote:My Kindle made it to Taiwan on Sunday night but so far hasn't made it to me. DHL are frickin useless and don't seem to be want to reply to my query about where it is. :fume:

You can chk their online sight with your airwaybill number.

It can take afew days to clear customs which has nothing to do with DHL they will probably need to get a copy of your ARC if there are import duties.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby cfimages » 13 Dec 2011, 11:22

Satellite TV wrote:

You can chk their online sight with your airwaybill number.

It can take afew days to clear customs which has nothing to do with DHL they will probably need to get a copy of your ARC if there are import duties.

I had been checking it. DHL had all the paperwork, ARC copy etc. They ended up calling me and apologizing because they'd made a mistake. One that was sorted, it only took a few hours.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages

182 Recommends(s)
183 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Technology