iPad 2

Moderator: Mick

Re: iPad 2

Postby Adam_CLO » 10 Aug 2011, 17:50

There will be a split portrait keyboard option for the iPad with iOS 5, if that helps.

Forumosan avatar
Adam_CLO
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

24 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby Poagao » 10 Aug 2011, 18:02

Perhaps, but it seems the main problem is having to suspend your hands over the thing when typing.
Forumosan avatar
Poagao
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

5 Recommends(s)
69 Recognized(s)

Postby Dial » 15 Aug 2011, 15:59

Typing fast is not hard at all. You've just got discipline yourself to keep your hands in the same place. I personally haven't experienced any fatigue from having to hover my hands above the keyboard. I will admit, however, to a bit of backsliding, and, now and then, resorting to a blue tooth keyboard. Try something like this typing tutor to get you going.

http://www.typingweb.com/mobile/
Dial
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Dial » 15 Aug 2011, 16:05

On second thoughts - and actually taking a look - the linked type tutor above looks a bit overblown. Here's the app I personally used.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/taptypin ... 37969?mt=8
Dial

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby tango42 » 15 Aug 2011, 16:18

I type fast, but am already past frustrated with the screen keyboard and WILL buy a bluetooth keyboard one I feel I've checked all the options. There are some in the local Apple shops for aroudn NT$2600.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

5 Recommends(s)
29 Recognized(s)

Postby irishstu » 26 Aug 2011, 11:35

One of the reasons I got the iPad for my wife was so that she could use it to help her learn Spanish. There actually aren't any decent free apps that I can find to do that (please correct me if I'm wrong - I would love to find one), but the BBC is famous for having extremely good lessons, including very well-made videos.

So last night, I go to the site to show my wife, and of course the videos run in Flash and don't work on the iPad. Thanks a lot, Apple. Seriously I'm kinda regretting buying this locked down piece of shit.
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

48 Recommends(s)
31 Recognized(s)

Postby Jaboney » 26 Aug 2011, 11:52

Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby Adam_CLO » 26 Aug 2011, 12:37

irishstu wrote:So last night, I go to the site to show my wife, and of course the videos run in Flash and don't work on the iPad. Thanks a lot, Apple. Seriously I'm kinda regretting buying this locked down piece of shit.

The competition doesn't seem to be much better.

While in theory Flash video might be a competitive advantage for Android users, in practice it’s difficult to imagine anyone actually trying to watch non-optimized web video on an Android handset, all of which makes one believe that maybe Steve Jobs was right to eschew Flash in lieu of HTML5 on the iPhone and iPad.
Forumosan avatar
Adam_CLO

24 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby irishstu » 26 Aug 2011, 13:11

Jaboney wrote:Flash on the iPad

Thanks, Jaboney, but it has to be free, otherwise I can't download it.

At the moment the app is only available to customers in the U.S. and Canada where it is being sold at the App Store for an initial $1.99. International availability is expected shortly.

Even if I could download it, I don't see why I should have to pay to access Flash files.

However, you did make me think of something. I could download these Flash files and convert them to an iPad-friendly format, then use my dirty trick with the camera connection kit to get them on the iPad and play them. Actually there's more to that than just converting it to a movie, so it's probably not going to work (the videos are interactive). It's just a shame there are so many unnecessary obstacles that, technically, just don't have to be there. My 3-year-old netbook is still a much more useful tool, if a little (OK, a lot) thicker.
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu

48 Recommends(s)
31 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 26 Aug 2011, 13:26

Perhaps its just because tablets don't have the power to run flash if it's not optimized for mobile processors. A netbook barely has enough power to do much more than web browsing...
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

1 Recommends(s)
82 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

Return to Technology