iPad 2

Moderators: Mick, Nam

Re: iPad 2

Postby Adam_CLO » 25 Oct 2011, 10:53

irishstu wrote:
mabagal wrote:One thing to note is that people can "gift" you an app, so if you need a paid app, I'm sure many of us would be willing to help you make that happen.

OK, I'm pretty happy with iSwifter to view Flash on the iPad. Well, I was happy with it till the recent upgrade, and now I can no longer use the free version to browse to the bbc website and so need to get the full paid-for app ($4.99). I'm more than happy to do this, and I know people that could gift me apps. I would also be willing to buy a gift certificate from the Apple shop, but it appears that, since it is an in-app purchase, I cannot do this with anything other than a credit card. Am I wrong about this?

I believe you're correct.
Forumosan avatar
Adam_CLO
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

24 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby mabagal » 25 Oct 2011, 11:21

I haven't tried if there is a notion of gifting in-app purchases. If there is not, another option is an iTunes Gift Card, which basically acts like cash in the iTunes store.
mabagal
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

ORIGINAL POSTER
11 Recommends(s)
26 Recognized(s)

Postby irishstu » 25 Oct 2011, 11:45

mabagal wrote:I haven't tried if there is a notion of gifting in-app purchases. If there is not, another option is an iTunes Gift Card, which basically acts like cash in the iTunes store.

Hey mabagal. Thanks, I'd be more than happy to use a gift card, but I'm not getting any sort of an option to pay using one when I try to purchase iSwifter. It only seems to give me credit card options. Hopefully I'm just missing something, but I can't see it.
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

42 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

Postby kelake » 25 Oct 2011, 11:52

irishstu wrote:
mabagal wrote:I haven't tried if there is a notion of gifting in-app purchases. If there is not, another option is an iTunes Gift Card, which basically acts like cash in the iTunes store.

Hey mabagal. Thanks, I'd be more than happy to use a gift card, but I'm not getting any sort of an option to pay using one when I try to purchase iSwifter. It only seems to give me credit card options. Hopefully I'm just missing something, but I can't see it.

Perhaps you need to redeem the gift card first. That option is under your account name in the top-right corner of iTunes. But I have no idea how the credit in your account is treated with further purchases.
kelake
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

15 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Jaboney » 25 Oct 2011, 11:55

May need to make sure the Gift Card is from the same country's store. You can't gift across country iTunes stores... which I found out after having a client in the US pay me via iTunes credit. d'oh
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby irishstu » 25 Oct 2011, 14:05

kelake wrote:Perhaps you need to redeem the gift card first. That option is under your account name in the top-right corner of iTunes. But I have no idea how the credit in your account is treated with further purchases.

Good point, kelake. I'll try that this weekend, once I get a gift cert.

Jaboney wrote:May need to make sure the Gift Card is from the same country's store. You can't gift across country iTunes stores... which I found out after having a client in the US pay me via iTunes credit. d'oh

No worries, Jaboney, I'd be getting it here in Taiwan, but thanks for mentioning it anyway.

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu

42 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

Postby irishstu » 26 Oct 2011, 20:04

Erm, OK, I went to the A+ Store on BaDe Lu. Let me see if I've got this right.... there is no such a thing as Taiwanese iStore gift cards? That's what the guy there told me. He said I would have to go to some shop on [can't remember] Boulevard and get American ones there. Have I understood him correctly? I've got to (fraudulently) pretend to be in the States and then use American gift cards?

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu

42 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

Postby Jaboney » 26 Oct 2011, 20:10

It's what I do.
I believe it's a legal issue, not a company one. Like online broadcasts of sporting events.
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby irishstu » 27 Oct 2011, 18:01

Jaboney wrote:It's what I do.
I believe it's a legal issue, not a company one. Like online broadcasts of sporting events.

OK, will try a UK gift cert with my UK address tonight. Fingers crossed.

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu

42 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

Postby irishstu » 28 Oct 2011, 09:42

OK, that worked. Thanks Jaboney (and everyone else).

Now.... can anyone recommend a way to spoof the BBC into allowing me to use iPlayer outside of the UK?

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu

42 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Technology