Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

wireless vs wired

Moderator: Mick

wireless vs wired

Postby SRS » 19 May 2011, 21:34

We currently have Hinet wired internet access. There are three computers in three rooms here. One of the other person that lives here would like to get wireless through friends that live in the same building. What are the advantages and disadvantages to wireless Internet? What about the costs as opposed to continuing with Hinet?
SRS
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Re: wireless vs wired

Postby TheLostSwede » 19 May 2011, 21:59

Uhm, I think you've got it slightly wrong.
I think the discussion is about the fact that the other people in the house has a wireless router that he/she can connect to.
Strictly speaking, any kind of wired internet connection (as in from the router/modem onto the internet) is faster than any wireless option currently available in Taiwan (3G/WiMAX). It wouldn't make much sense sharing a wireless internet connection using 3G or WiMAX and the cost isn't competitive either.
If you want to be able to connect everyone's computers wirelessly to the internet though you just need to get a wireless router which is then connected to the Hinet box.
Forumosan avatar
TheLostSwede
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

15 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 19 May 2011, 22:08

What you want to do is piggyback off someone else's internet router, in another apartment, right? You could do that simply by dangling a CAT5 cable out of their window and into your building (assuming that's physically possible without making a mess or leaving a window jammed open).

Attempting it wirelessly probably wouldn't work well: WiFi operates on microwave frequencies which behave a lot like light - they're not good at getting through 4 inches of concrete. OK, you might get a signal, but it'll be weak and the effective bitrate will be much reduced.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

810 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan_Student » 25 May 2011, 20:43

Has wireless finally reached the point where I can speed down National Highway 1 or three and enjoy NPR or the BBC? I had a month long trial of Wimax by the way, about a year ago. I live in rural Pingdong county and it worked great, on the sixth floor of the hospital or in one corner of McDonalds. When the signal was there.. fantastic. Weak signal no way Then there were not many towers that carried it.
Taiwan_Student
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

24 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby TheLostSwede » 25 May 2011, 21:23

Ok, people, please, what is "wireless"? There are a ton of different ways to connect to the internet "wireless", but unless you're able to explain what kind of technology you're talking about, it's impossible to offer any kind of advice or suggestions.

If we're talking about 3G/3.5G/3.75G/HSPA/HSDPA (all the same thing more or less, but at different speeds) then the coverage in Taiwan is pretty good, but there's no blanket coverage and I'd say very few countries if any offer that. As for WiMAX, it's really much hit and miss as far as the coverage maps I've seen and it's not a technology that would replace a 3G connection if you travel outside the major cities or to other countries. LTE or 4G is as yet not available in Taiwan. Wi-Fi is fairly wide spread at least in Taipei via WiFly, but the range is quite limited, but the upside is that you don't need any special hardware to connect and it's relatively cheap (said to become free).
Forumosan avatar
TheLostSwede

15 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby Dr. McCoy » 25 May 2011, 21:32

We have the ADSL Hinet and got a wireless off of that and put it on a router. I use the wireless on my computer and can't tell any difference in speed. We use it for the iPad and iPhone. We got too many i things. I like the wireless.
Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

146 Recommends(s)
95 Recognized(s)

Re: Re: wireless vs wired

Postby greenmark » 25 May 2011, 21:37

Taiwan_Student wrote:Has wireless finally reached the point where I can speed down National Highway 1 or three and enjoy NPR or the BBC? I had a month long trial of Wimax by the way, about a year ago. I live in rural Pingdong county and it worked great, on the sixth floor of the hospital or in one corner of McDonalds. When the signal was there.. fantastic. Weak signal no way Then there were not many towers that carried it.

It's easier to connect to the internet while on the highway of you use wireless than if you use a wired connection
greenmark
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

4 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby benkei » 25 May 2011, 22:21

if the computers have wireless adapters, you might be able to create an ad-hoc network with them...
Forumosan avatar
benkei
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby finley » 25 May 2011, 23:48

Taiwan_Student wrote:Has wireless finally reached the point where I can speed down National Highway 1 or three and enjoy NPR or the BBC?

Only if you're driving a blue truck or a taxi.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley

810 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 25 May 2011, 23:57

I still get the Beeb world service on the wireless. I put the wireless on top of the computer screen so I can tune it while I'm typing on Forumosa. The reception is better against the window, but I don't want to get up all the time to change stations.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

198 Recommends(s)
251 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Technology