wireless vs wired

Moderator: Mick

Re: wireless vs wired

Postby mabagal » 26 May 2011, 01:36

Taiwan_Student wrote:Has wireless finally reached the point where I can speed down National Highway 1 or three and enjoy NPR or the BBC? I had a month long trial of Wimax by the way, about a year ago. I live in rural Pingdong county and it worked great, on the sixth floor of the hospital or in one corner of McDonalds. When the signal was there.. fantastic. Weak signal no way Then there were not many towers that carried it.

Cellular data over 3G, yes. Have held solid Skype conversations and streamed video over 台灣大哥大s 3.5G just fine while in a car going down those freeways.

WiFi, obviously not.

WiMax... bleh.
mabagal
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

11 Recommends(s)
26 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan_Student » 28 May 2011, 07:35

Thanks. What are we talking about in a per month fee. My problem is that I have an ADSL house.. for my TV (MOD) and of course internet. I also have basic CHT cell service. Unless there is a discount to add a decent data plan to my cell phone service, I can't justify the added expense for my once a month car trips.

How much do you spend for your TV/Data services. I really would like to have my radio entertainment in the car if it is as easy as using the car stereo. I was looking at the Sat. radio service here in Taiwan (World Space) but don't think it is worth the cost or that it would last long.
Taiwan_Student
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)

25 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby Dr. McCoy » 28 May 2011, 10:13

Taiwan_Student wrote:Thanks. What are we talking about in a per month fee. My problem is that I have an ADSL house.. for my TV (MOD) and of course internet. I also have basic CHT cell service. Unless there is a discount to add a decent data plan to my cell phone service, I can't justify the added expense for my once a month car trips.

How much do you spend for your TV/Data services. I really would like to have my radio entertainment in the car if it is as easy as using the car stereo. I was looking at the Sat. radio service here in Taiwan (World Space) but don't think it is worth the cost or that it would last long.

We have some kind of Hinet package deal with ADSL and Wireless. We don't have the TV. I don't know how much though. The wife takes care of the hard stuff.
Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

146 Recommends(s)
95 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 31 May 2011, 23:13

I'm guessing the original poster (hasn't responded) wants to do nothing more than set up a wireless router and split one internet connection amongst more people. That's great (cheaper) as long as you don't have any bandwidth hogs (movie downloaders) or concrete walls (this is Taiwan though). It could (enough that you notice) result in slower internet but if that's not important then save 100-200NT/person/mo.
Abacus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

128 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 26 Oct 2011, 10:50

Dr. McCoy wrote:
Taiwan_Student wrote:Thanks. What are we talking about in a per month fee. My problem is that I have an ADSL house.. for my TV (MOD) and of course internet. I also have basic CHT cell service. Unless there is a discount to add a decent data plan to my cell phone service, I can't justify the added expense for my once a month car trips.

We have some kind of Hinet package deal with ADSL and Wireless. We don't have the TV. I don't know how much though. The wife takes care of the hard stuff.

I've been looking a little into this. Hinet is recently promoting this bundle: montly fee 999nts for 50M/5M -including land phone fee, with ADSL and wi-fi (upon request, there are several packages to cchoose from).
http://broadband.hinet.net/fttx/55.html
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

732 Recommends(s)
573 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 31 Oct 2011, 18:07

Lemme gloat for once:

So I got a faster Internet connection, plus Wi-fi setting at home, and more channels at MOD, all for nearly 300nts LESS than what I was paying for before. :cool:

Not bad for a technonoob like me. :thumbsup: So ask your provider what can they give you. It is not that hard.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

732 Recommends(s)
573 Recognized(s)

Postby PapaAzucar » 12 Feb 2012, 11:43

Icon wrote:Lemme gloat for once:

So I got a faster Internet connection, plus Wi-fi setting at home, and more channels at MOD, all for nearly 300nts LESS than what I was paying for before. :cool:

Is this with HiNet or MOD?
http://broadband.hinet.net/fttx/55.html
Can I ask how much you are paying for the total package?
What broadband speed? etc.?

Thanks.
PapaAzucar
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Technology