ADSL in Taiwan

Moderator: Mick

Re: 50Mbit/s internet

Postby Aero7 » 17 Mar 2012, 02:54

Taigottawanna wrote:This is just great. Around Christmas, we went to CHT to see if we could get the 50Mbit package for $999. To our surprise, it was available in our area. There was something like 4 spots left for 50Mbit, and about 10 for 20Mbit at the time. Unfortunately, we still had 3 months left in our contract with another ISP, so we decided to wait until the end of this month to switch. Now I'm told 50 and 20Mbit are no longer available, but we could get a 12Mbit connection for $100 less.

Is there really a perceivable difference when streaming HD content at 12Mbit vs 50Mbit? I am happy that the upload speed is 3Mbit, so I can get some useful cloud storage functionality (I'm only losing 2Mbit upload settling for this package, as the 50Mbit download comes with only 5Mbit upload capability). I decided to get the MOD with all the channels for $100. I'm choosing to look at it as giving up 38Mbit download and 2Mbit upload speed in exchange for free MOD.

Now, as this is fiber optic to the (building?), what should I expect compared to my present ADSL service? Should I do the fixed IP option to get faster speed/lower latency? Does that still apply?

Considering that you're losing 38Mbps at a gain of $100, it's honestly not worth it because you're paying more $ per Mbit if you get the 12M/3M plan. However, if you are not an avid gamer, downloader or webmaster, 12M/3M will do just fine. I don't know what MOD stands for though, sorry. I tried asking Uncle Google but I got nothing in return. There is a massive perceivable difference when streaming YouTube HD videos on a 12M and 50M line. Still, 5M is all that's required for 1080p YouTube HD streaming without buffering.

I doubt your ISP provides a FTTH (Fibre- to- the- Home) connection if you are living in a highrise building. Most ISPs don't cover buildings with fibre- optic cables, it's too dangerous and there is a risk of damaging the building's infrastructure. If you live in a newly- built highrise building, chances are your building is already covered with fibre- optics, so no worries there. As in my case, it's copper cable from the 4th floor of my highrise building to the a FTTB server in the ground level. If it is the same in your case, you can expect a mild increase of about 5 - 10ms ping due to the copper cables. The speeds are usually unaffected though. Getting a fixed IP is quite pointless, unless if you plan to run an internet- based business. The speeds and latency don't rise or fall depending on your IP address.
My Website - http://a4rzero.wordpress.com/ - I write about countries and everything in between.
Forumosan avatar
Aero7
38 Posts? I'm a bimbo, baby!

Postby PapaAzucar » 17 Mar 2012, 08:00

Sorry if this has been posted before because I find bits and pieces posted when I search thru the forum.
But what are the websites of all the home internet providers and what do they provide?
I'm looking for a straight simple menu of choices like the one for the phone providers I'm Going To / Just Got to Taiwan & Need a Phone or SIM Card post for newcomers. Something like

Hinet: broadband, ADSL, etc.
http://www.hinet.net/cht_en/about_1.htm

Far East Tone: what they offer for home internet
website

Taiwan Mobile: what they offer for home internet
website

And any extra considerations like reliability, costs, etc. will be helpful. Thanks.
PapaAzucar
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Taigottawanna » 17 Mar 2012, 08:23

Aero7 wrote:Considering that you're losing 38Mbps at a gain of $100, it's honestly not worth it because you're paying more $ per Mbit if you get the 12M/3M plan. However, if you are not an avid gamer, downloader or webmaster, 12M/3M will do just fine. I don't know what MOD stands for though, sorry. I tried asking Uncle Google but I got nothing in return. There is a massive perceivable difference when streaming YouTube HD videos on a 12M and 50M line. Still, 5M is all that's required for 1080p YouTube HD streaming without buffering.

I doubt your ISP provides a FTTH (Fibre- to- the- Home) connection if you are living in a highrise building. Most ISPs don't cover buildings with fibre- optic cables, it's too dangerous and there is a risk of damaging the building's infrastructure. If you live in a newly- built highrise building, chances are your building is already covered with fibre- optics, so no worries there. As in my case, it's copper cable from the 4th floor of my highrise building to the a FTTB server in the ground level. If it is the same in your case, you can expect a mild increase of about 5 - 10ms ping due to the copper cables. The speeds are usually unaffected though. Getting a fixed IP is quite pointless, unless if you plan to run an internet- based business. The speeds and latency don't rise or fall depending on your IP address.

Thanks, Aero7. I appreciate your taking the time to answer my question. I agree 12M/3M will serve my purposes. I live out in the boonies so they're not in a hurry to make 50M/5M widely available here. Their pricing is a little wack; 20M is only about $50NT less than 50M, and the 12M is only $100NT cheaper as previously mentioned. MOD is "Movies (or is it now Media?) on Demand," which like cable tv over IP.

It's too bad I'll be missing out on a better HD streaming experience settling for 12M fiber optics connection, but right now I'm on 8M ADSL (rarely getting over 4M) so it'll still be an improvement. :)
Forumosan avatar
Taigottawanna
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

5 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Re: 50Mbit/s internet - Port Forwarding w/ P847?

Postby dasaint » 19 Mar 2012, 08:50

gixxerwimp wrote:Can anyone help with port forwarding on the Zhonghua Telecom Zyxel P847?
(erm, why does "Chung" "hwa" get spell checked by the system? :ponder: )

I've logged in as admin to the set up page using the instructions here: http://jdev.tw/blog/2490/zyxel-p874-setup

The WAN info is as follows:
I don't really understand it, but it looks like Con. ID 3 is my actual WAN connection as it lists my outside IP (111.248.110.xxx).

I set up my port forwarding using Advanced Setup > NAT > Virtual Servers to a PC with a fixed internal IP as follows:

It gives me a choice of ppp0_3 or ptm0_4 so I tried using both.
Port forwarding for utorrent seems to work w/ ppp0_3, but VNC and Remote Desktop both time out.
Without any port forwarding settings, VNC returns a "connection refused" error.

Any help with properly setting up port forwarding with the P847 would be greatly appreciated.
Or info on how to login to Hinet using PPPoE with my own router (Vigor 2104), which I had port forwarding set up on when I was using Kbro (massive bittorent throttling :thumbsdown: ).

Thanks!

Do you still need help on this? I just figured this out this week while setting up my movie server.
I'm back!
Forumosan avatar
dasaint

10 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby PapaAzucar » 31 Mar 2012, 01:02

Zhonghua aims for 1 mil 50Mbps users, which is double the current subscriptions.
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120329PD206.html

Does anyone know if the price for the 50Mbps service is dropping?
I like to see the 50Mbps drop to about 999/month. :lick:
PapaAzucar

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby k.k. » 31 Mar 2012, 10:25

Zhonghua 50/5 is $999 a month. Has been for some time now.
Forumosan avatar
k.k.
"Drinks for the House!"

30 Recommends(s)
21 Recognized(s)

Postby PapaAzucar » 01 Apr 2012, 07:32

k.k. wrote:Zhonghua 50/5 is $999 a month. Has been for some time now.
Ha! Boy am I out of touch. :oops: I thought it still had the 1199 price tag from the OP. I guess I'm too lazy to read 16 pages of posts. But I'll include the links here in case others are just as lazy as me. :discodance:
http://broadband.hinet.net/fttx/55.html
http://www.promotion.hinet.net/
http://www.hinet.net/cht_en/product_1_4_4.htm
PapaAzucar

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Re: 50Mbit/s internet - Port Forwarding w/ P847?

Postby Kawa » 19 Jun 2012, 09:48

dasaint wrote:
gixxerwimp wrote:Can anyone help with port forwarding on the Zhonghua Telecom Zyxel P847?
(erm, why does "Chung" "hwa" get spell checked by the system? :ponder: )

I've logged in as admin to the set up page using the instructions here: http://jdev.tw/blog/2490/zyxel-p874-setup

The WAN info is as follows:
I don't really understand it, but it looks like Con. ID 3 is my actual WAN connection as it lists my outside IP (111.248.110.xxx).

I set up my port forwarding using Advanced Setup > NAT > Virtual Servers to a PC with a fixed internal IP as follows:

It gives me a choice of ppp0_3 or ptm0_4 so I tried using both.
Port forwarding for utorrent seems to work w/ ppp0_3, but VNC and Remote Desktop both time out.
Without any port forwarding settings, VNC returns a "connection refused" error.

Any help with properly setting up port forwarding with the P847 would be greatly appreciated.
Or info on how to login to Hinet using PPPoE with my own router (Vigor 2104), which I had port forwarding set up on when I was using Kbro (massive bittorent throttling :thumbsdown: ).

Thanks!

Do you still need help on this? I just figured this out this week while setting up my movie server.

Hi Dasaint,

Could you explain how you did it? I'm trying to setup remote access to my NAS through the same router, without any success so far.

:bow:
Kawa

6 Recognized(s)

100Mbps internet

Postby PapaAzucar » 20 Jun 2012, 22:38

I'm not sure how serious Zhonghua is about turning everyone to 100Mbps when most of us just got 50Mbps.
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120620PD202.html
PapaAzucar

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Re: 100Mbps internet

Postby dudumomo » 21 Jun 2012, 00:15

Wow...that sounds challenging ! 70% in 6months ! pheww !

If they can do that :notworthy:
100M/10M is a good connection ! (Hope they could increase upload speed as well, but not sure it is feasible !)
Debian Self hosting tutorials & news ==> http://www.freedif.org
dudumomo
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Technology